DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Aside from maybe a half a dozen guys there(Barnwell, Keri, Lowe and maybe a couple of others), I don't read most of the site. I've tried Rembert, and for me he's unreadable. I know I'm being unfair to others, but its a site built around Simmons whims, for better or worse. I would imagine its all but gone. . . 

Simmons' one mistake on his last contract was not securing proprietorship of Grantland in case exactly this happened. Because it's going to be a matter of months before it's run into the ground.

http://grantland.com/features/the-consequences-caring/

Looking aback at exactly why I became a fan of Simmons (well, really, it was because we all were during the Page 2 days, every time he published a story it was immediately put up at the topic in the old DVDVR chat room for at least a full day if not longer) and this right here I think is the perfect encapsulation of the latter day, sometimes insufferable Bill.  It's a great article, it's heartfelt, it's genuine, it's mostly relatable, he manages to basically make two massive sporting events about himself rather than the game or athletes or what have you, and it has a casual dropping of how rich he is that he himself seems oblivious to and how it destroys the otherwise strong "just one of the fans" vibe the article otherwise cultivates perfectly.

It's both why I like him and why I've grown to hate him, in one column.

But love him or hate him, it's impossible to deny he has completely changed modern sportswriting.  In, imo, good ways and bad.  I don't like the "bro culture" that often permeates his work, but the more personal take on sports, the effortless blending of pop culture, the diverse opinions he's unleashed from Grantland, 30 for 30...  Yeah, I guess I'm still a fan, even when I'm not.

And Christ I hope there is no NDA in his contract.  Him putting ESPN and the NFL both on full blast to launch whatever he does next has me begging for fall even more than usual.

• Like 1

Bram Weinstein is leaving/has left ESPN

The hot rumor (which Bram is denying) is that he is returning to the DC and will be the lead sports anchor on the local ABC affliate

Not to be "that guy", but he left over a month ago.

One of the local places is reporting it as news (possibly because of the ABC rumor). I never ever watch ESPN anymore so I honestly have no clue who is active and who isnt

Not surprisingly, Grantland appears to be completely silent on the Simmons thing this morning.

Is he going to work through the end of his contract in September, or have they basically put him on the bench until his contract expires? 

If I had to guess, he either gets bought out or the Eric Bischoff treatment of just going home, being paid every week, and having to keep his mouth shut.

Oooh, but Mike & Mike are moving to a studio above Good Morning America. So, you know, that's news?

Skipper did confirm he didn't tell Bill before the the NYT reported it.

Oooh, but Mike & Mike are moving to a studio above Good Morning America. So, you know, that's news?

I'm guessing that's so Greeny can do more work with/on Good Morning America?

I'm guessing that's the studio KO does his show in.

I'm guessing that's so Greeny can do more work with/on Good Morning America?

I'm guessing that's the studio KO does his show in.

They didn't get that specific, but said something about sharing guests and talent, so basically yes.

I guess the other Bristol news is that Van Pelt is getting a midnight TV show ans they are ending his radio show with Rusillo.

Not totally surprised by this.  The last time I listened to them, the vibe felt stale and sort of forced.  For whatever reason, I don't think they click well anymore.