DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2024

We're (mostly) out of the cold of winter, and looking forward to more footie! 

In the states, Inter Messi is in first place!   Thanks to leading scorer...

r1306844_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=570&format=

Luis Suarez?   Oh, he sure is taking a bite out of the MLS! 

I heard today the USMNT is in the same draw as France for the Olympics. And because the Olympics is not part of the fifa calendar, teams do not have to release players, and Madrid said they won’t. So, maybe MBappe doesn’t actually sign until after they are finished? 

Dos A Cero. Pulisic looked like a boss. Ochoa once again showing why he needs to be put to pasture. Mexico resorting to diving to try and fake a penalty vs USA. It wasn't Tata Martino's fault Mexico was bad in the last World Cup.

Brentford 1-1 Manchester United in the Premier League. Stats:

• Brentford (85) became just the third side on record (since 2008-09) to have 80+ touches in the oppositions box in a Premier League game after Man City vs Southampton in November 2019 and Man City vs Norwich in July 2020 (87 in both matches).
  • Brentford had 31 shots in this game (scoring with their 31st and final attempt), their highest total in a Premier League match, while on record (since 2003-04) there are only three instances of Man Utd facing more shots in a single Premier League match.
  • Brentford hit the woodwork four times this evening with only Brighton (5) vs Man Utd in September 2020 doing so more in a Premier League game on record.

I went to my first MLS game since 2017 and had an incredible time. I hate the game was on Easter because it definitely impacted attendance, but a 3-0 result for the five stripes was about as good as you could ask for while also sitting close enough to the supporter's section that it allowed for some fun people watching.

Manchester United now hold a Premier League Record, being "The latest lead in a game they would go on to lose", as they were up 9:17 into second half stoppage time, only to see two Chelsea goals in 80 seconds give Chelsea the win.

• Like 1

Chelsea 4-3 Manchester United. United were winning 2-3. Cole Palmer with the latest winner scored in Premier League history at 100 minutes 39 seconds. 

Horror stars for Manchester United:

225: Most shots faced in the Premier League this year. Brentford 216 and Sheffield United 206.

225: Manchester United have faced more shots than any other side in Europe's big-five leagues in 2024.

Manchester United have conceded 109 shots in the last four Premier League games:

27 shots vs. Man City.

23 shots vs. Everton.

31 shots vs. Brentford.

28 shots vs. Chelsea.

Next? Liverpool!

With six games remaining, Bayer Leverkusen remains unbeaten and leads the Bundesliga with a 16 pts lead. Never expected Leverkusen to win a league in my lifetime. This ends Bayerns 11 season dominance. Incredible work by Xabi Alonso and the whole club. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

With six games remaining, Bayer Leverkusen remains unbeaten and leads the Bundesliga with a 16 pts lead. Never expected Leverkusen to win a league in my lifetime. This ends Bayerns 11 season dominance. Incredible work by Xabi Alonso and the whole club. 

Curse of Harry Kane even stronger than Bayern.

Edited by odessasteps

On 4/7/2024 at 4:05 AM, ReiseReise said:

No more Neverkusen. I remember the time years back when all they had to do was win their last match at home, they handed out cardboard replicas of the Bundesliga trophy and then went out and shit the bed. 

• Like 1

They had some legendary teams and players in the 90ies, but yeah, Neverkusen absolutely were a thing. Good for them. Harry Kane's curse will likely end next year, Bayern still has the foundation and the financial assets to dominate the league.

Leverkusen's season is absolutely legendary and will very likely be the best non-Bayern points tally (should be Dortmund at 82 points in 2012 so far). They have a shot at a national double, facing 2nd Bundesliga Kaiserslautern in the cup final. They are also in the Euroleague Quarterfinals against West Ham. 

49 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

They had some legendary teams and players in the 90ies, but yeah, Neverkusen absolutely were a thing. Good for them. Harry Kane's curse will likely end next year, Bayern still has the foundation and the financial assets to dominate the league.

Leverkusen's season is absolutely legendary and will very likely be the best non-Bayern points tally (should be Dortmund at 82 points in 2012 so far). They have a shot at a national double, facing 2nd Bundesliga Kaiserslautern in the cup final. They are also in the Euroleague Quarterfinals against West Ham. 

It does amuse me that in terms of different champions for the past decade + the Bundesliga is indistinguishable from the two horse race that is the SPFL.