DVDVR Message Board

2023-24 NBA: 2ND HALF

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

Almost as many points as Brunson hung on the Spurs (61).

But the Knicks lost.  Because Wemby went for 40/20.  Yikes.

Yeah Wemby is living up to a whole hell of a lot of hype, and it's scary to think how good he might end up being.

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah Wemby is living up to a whole hell of a lot of hype, and it's scary to think how good he might end up being.

Yeah, he's not even near what he'll be. Good grief. 

12 hours ago, Pete said:

Elgin scored 63 points, Wilt stroked his chin thoughtfully, said "hold my bitches" and popped for 78/43. 👀

To give you an idea of the quality of play in that game, the two teams combined for 188 rebounds. Wilt and the Warriors put up 147 points while shooting 37% from the floor. 

By contrast, the Spurs and Knicks combined for 96 rebounds. 

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

To give you an idea of the quality of play in that game, the two teams combined for 188 rebounds. Wilt and the Warriors put up 147 points while shooting 37% from the floor. 

By contrast, the Spurs and Knicks combined for 96 rebounds. 

That right there is a big part of why people misinterpret the rebounding numbers to think guys were so much better at it then than now. Faster pace, much poorer shooting, stars usually playing 45+ minutes a game, shots typically from closer range meaning they didn't bounce as far off the rim, so centers and power forwards had a higher percentage come in range...

Basically what I'm saying is Dennis Rodman was a hell of a lot better at rebounding than Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Basically what I'm saying is Dennis Rodman was a hell of a lot better at rebounding than Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain.

I once did the math and, you're right, he was. He grabbed a higher percentage of available rebounds than those guys. 

Steve Clifford is stepping down as Hornets coach at the end of the season and will transition into a front office role

Vince Carter and, for reasons I don't quite grasp, Chauncey Billups have been elected to the BBHOF.

Basketball Reference had him an 84.4% probability, which is 94tth among NBA/ABA leaders. That's higher than a number of players already in the Hall, It's inflated somewhat by his Finals MVP, but was also a 5x All-Star, 3x All-NBA, and 2 x All-Defensive. That's not a bad resume. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Basketball Reference had him an 84.4% probability, which is 94tth among NBA/ABA leaders. That's higher than a number of players already in the Hall, It's inflated somewhat by his Finals MVP, but was also a 5x All-Star, 3x All-NBA, and 2 x All-Defensive. That's not a bad resume. 

2nd team all-NBA once, 3rd team twice. 

He's got a nice resume. I like the guy. I'm a Pistons fan. Of COURSE I like the guy. 

But we're really, really reaching when 15 & 5 while never - or even coming close to - leading in anything gets you in the Hall. 

Edited by Tabe

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

2nd team all-NBA once, 3rd team twice. 

He's got a nice resume. I like the guy. I'm a Pistons fan. Of COURSE I like the guy. 

But we're really, really reaching when 15 & 5 while never - or even coming close to - leading in anything gets you in the Hall. 

The Naismith Hall has always been the easiest to get into.

And I believe that means we are back to only one eligible finals MVP not in the hall.

I dunno, I'll take 15 & 5 and leading an NBA team to multiple conference finals, back-to-back NBA finals and a title over a lot of guys with better stats. And he didn't just have that impact at the NBA level either. He showed the same leadership in college and at the FIBA World Cup. The Naismith Hall is easy to get into, though. There's no doubt about that.

Cornbread must be wondering what else he has to do. 

Related to the HOF talk

Jerry West will be inducted for a record third time

He is going in this time as a "contributor" (ie for his work as a General Manager). He is already in as a player and as a member of the 1960 US Olympic team

And speaking of the Pistons

Malachi Flynn scored 50 off the bench (the Pistons still lost)

It is the 3rd time since 70-71 (when they started tracking who started a game), that a reserve player scored 50 in a game

10 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I dunno, I'll take 15 & 5 and leading an NBA team to multiple conference finals, back-to-back NBA finals and a title over a lot of guys with better stats. And he didn't just have that impact at the NBA level either. He showed the same leadership in college and at the FIBA World Cup. The Naismith Hall is easy to get into, though. There's no doubt about that. 

There's no denying he had a good career. But... 

If you start naming a list of great guards, in order, you're gonna be way, way, way down the list before you get to Chauncey. There's room for you to be able to say, "yeah, that dude had a great career" without saying the guy was a HOFer. Chauncey is in that space for me. But, hey, good for him! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Julius Randle is officially done for the season as he is having shoulder surgery

First or second round exit for a promising team while Thibs loses even more of his locker room?  

Hollywood cannot keep recycling scripts like this.   

Should also note, Brooklyn was eliminated last night, so the 10 East teams are set.  

The most fun part is nothing between 2-10 is set, and theoretically everyone not named Boston can end up in the dreaded play-in mini tournament. 

Rajon Rondo announced his retirement today.

I know his career has been mixed, but him wrecking his elbow in the first half of a playoff game and coming back to play the second half one-armed is one of the iciest things anyone has done in the NBA.

https://twitter.com/NBAPR/status/1776308928864731628

76ers fined $100,000 for listing Embiid as out and then he played Tuesday. The league noted in their message that they are repeat offenders of abusing the injury report.

I propose two extra sets of sanctions

1) They are disqualified from the Postseason, because it's illegal to have a 1 team play a team that good as the 8 seed. (Yes, I am a Celtics fan, why do you ask?)

failing that..

2) The 76ers are stripped of a first round pick for being a repeat offender, and Joel Embiid is suspended for 1/4th the season for being generally aware of his true health status and letting the 76ers list him as out. (Yes, I am a bitter New England Patriots fan who thinks Rodger Goodell is a po-faced, clown-nosed jerkface who was tired of the Patriots winning, and still have that opinion when the Patriots are no longer relevant, why do you ask?)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Lmao, the Bucks' answer to their losing streak is to start Patrick Beverley we are so fucked.

Seems to be working pretty well so far