DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

God I love Piper's set of retirement promos in 1987 prior to the match with Adonis at Mania, but him saying he's just a guy from Scotland with that accent almost pulls you out of the promos if they weren't so good.

I sound more Scottish than Roddy Piper.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also, when Farooq was out there a year or so later doing his black nationalist bit, he wasn't dressed like a Pasadena Denver Lane. And it's not like the WWF audience is just that much smarter than someone from West Virginia or East Tennessee. 

So did white people gain a new understanding of black people within a calendar year? 

Awfully bold to assume that they ever did.

• Haha 1

Okay, I take that back cause I just remembered a story.

So yeah, I was watching wrestling with a black female friend of mine several years back now. This had to be when Booker T returned to WWE. She was a casual at best.

All I remember is Booker was up on the screen and we started talking. Then, at some point, she couldn't recall his name. I think she may have confused him with R-Truth since both were in TNA.

Me: "Yeah, he was King Booker with Sharmell not too long ago."

Her: "Ohhh...was he the dude feuding with the n***** eating worms?!"

Me: **very long pause** "Uh...I guess? He wasn't eating worms so much as he was...it's a very long explanation."

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The Shawn/Adam Bomb match just happened (where Shawn beats him really fast and Adam Bomb looks like an idiot) a week prior to where I am so Shawn is already getting "fuck this guy" heat with certain guys.

The booking is just nonsensical in that Shawn/Bam Bam/Diesel are these heels in late 1994. By May 1995, all of them babyfaces for no reason although they had been building Diesel up to turn on Shawn since August 1994. Out of three guys, you can only justify a babyface turn for one of them. Maybe. You can say "well, the Million Dollar Corporation has been in fighting since Survivor Series." Except Tatanka is now anti-over (he's under) cause the Luger program went so long and was so atrocious. Bundy came in and looked pretty bad. How he gets the spot against Taker at WrestleMania... I have no earthly clue. I think Kama is about to join and the Supreme Fighting Machine gimmick doesn't resonate at all. It is a group of not over heels who job in the most important matches.

You can see why the Kliq became powerful. Vince is just mashing buttons hoping for a hit.

I have been rewatching that timeframe over the last years and the booking is so weird. Business might not have been great, but TV etc. was hot in 93 and in the earlier parts of 94. Around summer, it got completely shit. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but the steroid trial ended in late July 94, ergo Vince suddenly had much more time to focus on TV. And you got the "great" Luger vs. Tatanka feud ("you sold out, I saw you", "no I haven't", "yes, you have" ...), Undertaker vs. Undertaker (the angle started in June or so, and I guess they wanted to go there probably since they did Rumble 94, but still), Team Doink vs. Team Lawler, one unwatchable TV match after the other (I could swear that every Raw match either had Jeff Jarrett stalling for 10 minutes, Lex Luger (who I think mentally checked out after Wrestlemania X) going through the motions or Doink period), etc. Also while Jerry Lawler might be a good promo, I don't need a 10 minute King's Court segment every f'n week.

And as you mentioned, it did not get better, Undertaker was stuck in one bad program after another (don't forget him vs. the world's sweatiest man) for the whole year of 95, the Million Dollar Corporation which should have been killed off at the latest after Wrestlemania 11 goes on for the whole year as well, the bring in some decent talent but put them in horrible gimmicks (Chris "Skip" Candido (incl. Sunny who was a main event talent stuck with an undercard gimmick) and Louie "Rad Radford" Spicolli are the first that come to mind; not sure if "Dean" Douglas should count because that was partly a PG version of his ECW gimmick; I guess Waylon Mercy was a neat idea, though I doubt that would have worked even with 89 Danny Spivey) and others are just used badly. WWF on paper did not have a bad roster in 94 or 95, but they used it so bad.

• Like 1

Where I am in my rewatch, they're debuting all these guys at a breakneck speed but none of them are making any sort of waves. Hakushi is the only one, but he's been miscast as a heel. However, you have old HOG, Aldo Montoya, Kama, Bundy, Man Mountain Rock, MANTAUR!, the Blu Brothers. There are probably one or two I am forgetting. However, it's like get someone over and then bring in the next guy. 

• Like 1

I've been listening to 83 Weeks to hear some of what Bischoff has to say about '97-'98 WCW shows, and when Bischoff doesn't feel the need to protect someone politically, he really does have a great feel for what makes a match good, at least after the fact.

Meltzer's reviews of the matches juxtaposed against Bischoff's assessment only makes Bisch seem more reasonable, almost like politicking Bisch somehow pushes me to see Vince Russo's point of view on 2000 WCW.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Where I am in my rewatch, they're debuting all these guys at a breakneck speed but none of them are making any sort of waves. Hakushi is the only one, but he's been miscast as a heel. However, you have old HOG, Aldo Montoya, Kama, Bundy, Man Mountain Rock, MANTAUR!, the Blu Brothers. There are probably one or two I am forgetting. However, it's like get someone over and then bring in the next guy. 

TL Hopper! Freddie Joe Floyd! Salvatore Sincere! The Stalker!

And in two weeks after their debuts, they're jobbing to Owen or Razor on Action Zone.

Was Goldust the only '94-'95 WWF debut guy who hit with the original gimmick they came in with? Kane hit after three gimmicks. After that, I don't know.

57 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also, when Farooq was out there a year or so later doing his black nationalist bit, he wasn't dressed like a Pasadena Denver Lane. And it's not like the WWF audience is just that much smarter than someone from West Virginia or East Tennessee. 

So did white people gain a new understanding of black people within a calendar year? 

Not to mention his wearing the gladiator helmet 

Okay not to belabor the point, but on Action Zone, Ross and Pettengill are continuously doing this "I am a little bit country and he's a little bit rock n roll" bit on commentary that's killing me cause Pettengill is terrible on commentary. However, the last two episodes, Todd wants JR to explain the difference between the Blu Brothers gimmick and Henry Godwinn's gimmicks essentially. He offers a rational explanation and even simplifies it to idiot terms, but Todd just refuses to accept these answers. It's driving me up the wall. At this point, Jim probably would need to explain shapes and colors to him. 

You know the famous cartoon showing a New Yorker's view of the world from Ninth Ave.?

That cartoon explains Pettengil. Loud NYer who thinks everything outside of NYC is New Jersey, Florida, Texas, or California. The idea that white folks from the Appalachians and white folks from rural Arkansas have any differences are too much for a guy like him.

• Like 5

"....Like they're from mountains since they're mountain men. Henry is from Arkansas where Bill Clinton is from. He is more like Jethro and the Clampetts."

"...so you mean they're not hillbillies?!"

"I mean hills aren't really mountains..."

I'm literally waiting for the moment Jim snaps and just says, "Fuck it...just ask Vince. He came up with all this shit."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Gorman said:

Alex "The Pug" Porteau!

Loved seeing that guy on TV.

Totally because I dug the Steiner Bros. music and got to hear it again when he'd come out, but still, that's a point in his favor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Okay not to belabor the point, but on Action Zone, Ross and Pettengill are continuously doing this "I am a little bit country and he's a little bit rock n roll" bit on commentary that's killing me cause Pettengill is terrible on commentary. However, the last two episodes, Todd wants JR to explain the difference between the Blu Brothers gimmick and Henry Godwinn's gimmicks essentially. He offers a rational explanation and even simplifies it to idiot terms, but Todd just refuses to accept these answers. It's driving me up the wall. At this point, Jim probably would need to explain shapes and colors to him. 

The Godwins did not (to my knowledge) have SS tattoos.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The Godwins did not (to my knowledge) have SS tattoos.

They did spend most of their WWF tenure covered from head to toe minus naked Mideon.

Also, we missed out on a Nazi mountain men trio with the returning Ludvig Borga. They're anti-semites BUT they also want to protect the environment. So there is that.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Wrestling is all about the zeitgeist. You could bill a teams of gangstas from Cabrini Green, but it 1993 that would have little cultural resonance. 

Could have worked Candyman came out in 92

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

They did spend most of their WWF tenure covered from head to toe minus naked Mideon.

Also, we missed out on a Nazi mountain men trio with the returning Ludvig Borga. They're anti-semites BUT they also want to protect the environment. So there is that.

"I wish to protect the Environment"

(fans prematurely cheer)

"From the international bankers seeking to destroy the Ozone"

(cheering ends)

• Haha 3

They did a fair amount of tapings in and around the Borscht Belt. I would hope that wouldn't get any cheers.

Anyway, all this would end when they feud with Barry Horowitz.

• Haha 1