DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/29 - 2/4/2024 - Ice Ice Bayley

I suspect that if they had put the title on Cody at WM39, it would be perceived as having been a mistake by now.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I can see Philadelphia shitting on Roman Reigns vs. The Rock at WrestleMania XL. Ironic it's the same city as the 2015 Royal Rumble when Roman Reigns and The Rock were booed out of the building. The Rock was legitimately shocked/pissed at said reaction.

Feels a bit unfair to compare an arena crowd to the WMXL stadium crowd. Mainly because arenas have way better acoustics than outdoors stadiums in April.

Some of this was covered on the "CM Punk walks out" Between the Sheets about how WWE crowds don't really try to hijack shows anymore.

• Like 1

I don't think it will tho. The crowd tonight didn't like it when Cody was talking about the other title. But they were still chanting this is awesome for the stare down. I get that a *Philly* crowd let alone a super smart mark Mania Philly crowd could hijack real quick. But then I remember all the people wanting to hijack have pretty much left. Plus this is what people wanted since Roman started this Bloodline thing. I know it's a repeat of Rock taking Punk's spot, and people love Cody legit universally over with all the different fan segments. But still. This is a cool match. And I don't think it's gonna get shit on all like that. I know I could be wrong. But it's just kind of a hunch.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips

Beating Cody would get him just as close. I didn't phrase that well. It's just not a lot of people have bought in to my theory about that being the idea of this reign, beating Bruno. Just saying beating Rock will get less backlash than beating Cody again. So keeps him on the track without a huge fan uproar that might get them to pull the trigger on derailing it.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Wait a minute, how does Rock/Roman get him closer to Bruno? Isn’t he still like 3,000 days away from that record????

I think the theory is that they're trying to make the Roman Universal title reign outlast the 1984-88 Hogan title reign.

Insert your comments about this company having 3 different world titles at the same time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I think the theory is that they're trying to make the Roman Universal title reign outlast the 1984-88 Hogan title reign.

Insert your comments about this company having 3 different world titles at the same time

Okay, if that’s the case - aren’t we still like 900 days away from that?!

What the fuck is going on in this company?

• Haha 2

Just now, Casey said:

Roman has held the Universal Title since August 2020. It's the other title that he's only held since like Mania 38 (2022). Roman has a title that he won off of a guy who died (not to disrespect Bray Wyatt by putting it that way)

As for the second question... look, certain people need as much board support as possible to not get fired, so here's the board member to get a big payday at WM40.

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Roman Reigns WWE Universal Championship reign started at Payback, 30th August 2020 so there's still more months of this left.

Part of me thinks this is the start of a poorly done Daniel Bryan or Kofimania attempt. 
Get the millions of RhodesScholars begging for him to cash in his Royal Rumble chip to make it a three way. He just needs to take on mr positivity, HHH, beforehand. 

48 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Now Cody gets a Mania main event crowning World Title win.

That's not the story they've been telling for two years or even the story that was told at Royal Rumble where Cody was pointing at Roman.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Least we had a smart babyface on the show in Bayley.

Yeah, I’m excited for her to main event WrestleMania again Rhea Ripley for some reason

• Haha 1

How the fuck is the Rock winded during that post-show promo? WTF is going on?

At least the Rock can't get injured being put in side headlocks or very long staredowns. Right? 

And anyone thinking that a Philly crowd, even if it's a WM crowd from all over, isn't going to shit on Rock vs Roman is deluding themselves. 

God. This endless title reign is fucking lame. It has gone on so long that someone is bound to get injured or get cast in a movie and fuck it all up. No one gives a shit about Roman having a longer run than Hogan. 

Also, what's this shit that it would have been a mistake to have Cody beat Roman last year? Exactly how would that have been a mistake?

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

How the fuck is the Rock winded during that post-show promo? WTF is going on?

At least the Rock can't get injured being put in side headlocks or very long staredowns. Right? 

And anyone thinking that a Philly crowd, even if it's a WM crowd from all over, isn't going to shit on Rock vs Roman is deluding themselves. 

God. This endless title reign is fucking lame. It has gone on so long that someone is bound to get injured or get cast in a movie and fuck it all up. No one gives a shit about Roman having a longer run than Hogan. 

Also, what's this shit that it would have been a mistake to have Cody beat Roman last year? Exactly how would that have been a mistake?

In addition to this, you'd avoid the creation of the unnecessary World Heavyweight Championship.

• Like 2

I said last year that once Cody lost, I would no longer care about whenever 'beating Roman' did happen. And sure enough, Cody winning the Rumble this year didn't have quite the same feel to it as last year's (it sucked), and now the Rumble win is basically just thrown away anyways. Hilariously bizarre execution of whatever they were going for here.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

what's this shit that it would have been a mistake to have Cody beat Roman last year? Exactly how would that have been a mistake?

what would Cody have done with the world title for the last 9 months or so? would he have basically been in Seth Rollins place for 9 months?

wrestling's a funny thing where guys could win the title and everybody at the time thinks "it's their time", and then they just don't work out as champion and the title gets switched off of them.

then again, I just remembered that the only Dusty Rhodes world title reign that lasted longer than 2 weeks was an 88 day reign that was very much a transitional reign trying to soothe the egos of NWA powerbrokers.. so if Dusty, an undeniably better World Champion type couldn't get 90 days... we probably shouldn't act like a 9 month Cody Rhodes World Title reign would have either been likely or smart.

Cody's main support is more about raging against the WWE's booking than actually being all that into Cody Rhodes. Just because Cody happened to be wrestling for the WWE title at WM39 doesn't mean he should have won the title. I believe I typed some version of this about 10 months ago when it happened.