DVDVR Message Board

The Wall Street Journal Vince McMahon Thread.

Message added by jaedmc,

It's a gross story, don't stare too deeply into the abyss or it will stare back.

Also be adults and don't make us ban you.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Yeah, degrading this poor woman was clearly part of the thrill for them. Sickening stuff.

The people that brought you the Trish Stratus “bark like a dog” angle. 

• Like 7

Looking back on it all I really can't believe how much I let slide and still watched wrestling. I really feel genuinely guilty about how far I was willing to let these sick fucks go. All the way past Saudi Arabia even for awhile. That it took this much is an indictment of me as well.

Goddamn.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The people that brought you the Trish Stratus “bark like a dog” angle. 

I personally think the "Kiss my Ass" club is the worst thing he ever made anyone do on television.  This man, who is literally their boss, stood in a public place and made them put their raw mouth on his bare ass.  I would have shot him before I did that.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Looking back on it all I really can't believe how much I let slide and still watched wrestling. I really feel genuinely guilty about how far I was willing to let these sick fucks go. All the way past Saudi Arabia even for awhile. That it took this much is an indictment of me as well.

Goddamn.

Just wanted to say I get where you're coming from. I feel that way about a lot of stuff. I don't really know what the answer is. I love the idea of wrestling, but then  I wonder how many kids got a Make-a-Wish visit from this company, and now their parents are like "That guy was doing what with women?" It's fucked.

• Like 1

History is full of people doing good deeds for the wrong reasons. Robber barons building hospitals and universities all the way down to people doing charity work to impress a romantic interest. 

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Just wanted to say I get where you're coming from. I feel that way about a lot of stuff. I don't really know what the answer is. I love the idea of wrestling, but then  I wonder how many kids got a Make-a-Wish visit from this company, and now their parents are like "That guy was doing what with women?" It's fucked.

Yeah. All of that stuff now just feels like "But Al Capone ran a soup kitchen" and "But Hitler loved dogs."

But the worst thing is that I was smart enough to see through that. All of us were smart enough to see through the pink shirt bullshit. i don't blame some kids for wanting to meet their tv friends but I can still blame myself for letting it go by and just accepting it. I was a grown ass adult who knew for a LONG time just what a sick Demon the man was and assumed worse as well and I just let it all ride because what "I don't want to take it out on the workers. They're nice guys."

Well a lot of them weren't and aren't and I think we'll find out right now how many of them have a shred or morality or dignity left when paychecks come next week.

• Like 2

Just now, piranesi said:

Yeah. All of that stuff now just feels like "But Al Capone ran a soup kitchen" and "But Hitler loved dogs."

But the worst thing is that I was smart enough to see through that. All of us were smart enough to see through the pink shirt bullshit. i don't blame some kids for wanting to meet their tv friends but I can still blame myself for letting it go by and just accepting it. I was a grown ass adult who knew for a LONG time just what a sick Demon the man was and assumed worse as well and I just let it all ride because what "I don't want to take it out on the workers. They're nice guys."

Well a lot of them weren't and aren't and I think we'll find out right now how many of them have a shred or morality or dignity left when paychecks come next week.

This is kind of the anger I'm feeling today, and something I alluded to in an earlier post when I talked about who else knew Vince like this.. Like others had to know, and I just feel like the industry went silent today.

And I also have a lot of disdain for anyone who said they were a "wrestling journalist" who only spent their time reviewing RAW and trying to get access to their favorite wrestlers. We all knew he was garbage. They knew too. And instead of trying to get to the bottom of it, they played nice for access and clicks.

• Like 4

Why it’s better to be a “wrestling historian” than a “wrestling journalist”. That and not having to watch current matches. 😀

I do feel sympathy for some people who were fans of those labeled “the good people” in the business who end up tarnished by this, either by being complicit or merely silent.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

History is full of people doing good deeds for the wrong reasons. Robber barons building hospitals and universities all the way down to people doing charity work to impress a romantic interest. 

Jimmy Saville did a shit-load of charity, all his life, for instance. And he did that to "balance the scales of devine judgment" or something similar, by his own admission.

Edited by Shartnado
more
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

This is kind of the anger I'm feeling today, and something I alluded to in an earlier post when I talked about who else knew Vince like this.. Like others had to know, and I just feel like the industry went silent today.

And I also have a lot of disdain for anyone who said they were a "wrestling journalist" who only spent their time reviewing RAW and trying to get access to their favorite wrestlers. We all knew he was garbage. They knew too. And instead of trying to get to the bottom of it, they played nice for access and clicks.

I feel like I'm veering way off topic so feel free to delete this but the whole thing reminds me of just how much 'they" have automate the beureaucracy of cruelty through all of us. wrestling journalist guy can deaden his soul enough to just keep "doing the job" Like the sunglass hut security guy using the faulty facial recognition software to accuse a 60 year old man 2000 away and the local cops are like "hey gotta go get him" and the warden's like "doin' my job" and an hour later the guy is in intensive care from the beating he took. (CNN two days ago). Everyone along the chain just "doing what I'm paid to do." not "Doing what is right" or hell even "Doing what is good for the company" but "doing what I'm paid to do." unitl this guy's life is destroyed.

How many people in that office building hear that woman in their heads when they cash their check?

It's like our entire economy is now based around "you're paid to pull the bad lever on them and they're paid to pull the bad lever on you." and we just all do it and pretend it's because "that's the job? How else do I live?"

past a certain point you either stop being a human or live doing something else. Anything else. Harder work is better than knowingly surrendering your entire essence to evil because "things might get harder".

Maybe I can bring it back around this way. I assume everyone at Netflix will "just do the job" and cheer for their new deal.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, piranesi said:

I'm so ashamed I still used a smark term in that post. Jesus I need to cleanse.

You need to come back and discuss some old tv/film. Did you see my post about revisiting That Darn Cat and the cat from outer space? Some many character actors in both of them. Cat from Outer Space  has Harry Morgan and McLean Stevenson sharing scenes. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I mean, if TKO sets the precedent for that sort of thing, it would not exactly work well for other TKO luminaries danawhite so..

anyways, Kevin Dunn got out of town just in time for unrelated reasons, didn't he?

TKO has no standards. Dana White is on video hitting his wife in Mexico. Nothing happened.

Edited by keith_h
  • Like 3

The percentage of people who, when they attain even a shred of wealth and power over other people, proceed to become absolute vile animals at the first chance they get....is staggering.

And we all know who a lot of them are. They're just sitting there above us every day openly gloating about it. Like, can we imprison them or something? Or do we just all agree to let them do it forever because "hey they're the boss. get that $$$$$"

And oldsters wonder why "Gen Z" doesn't want to work. For what so they can make it all the way to the WWE some day? There is nothing left to work for other than one or another equivalent of that achievement...all the way to....Netflix. All the way to...the Big Game! (don't wanna get sued). All the way to...Nestle headquarters! It's all the same now.

I don't see a single article for anyone asking Netflix about this. It is actually staggering to me that they wouldn't immediately issue a press release trying to backpedal the deal. But hey, we don't wanna blow a 5 BILLION dollar deal over a few little gang rapes, now would we?

yes. If you gave me a button that would pay me $5 billion but one woman would be treated like this somewherer I would smash that button over your head and not stop smashing until one of us was dead.

But I don't think that's what we're going to see.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2

Of course. That's what this is going to be about. Look for a NYT opionion piece on how NDA's won the cold war.

Lawyers "just doin' the job." Media "Just doing the job" (don't wanna piss off the wrong giant streaming companies). SOme judge will "just do the job' and somehow she'll owe him money.

• Like 2

At least the major news sites seem to be picking it up (still nothing on the ESPN website). I'm always afraid that some mainstream media will take the "well wrestling is scummy, what can ya do?" approach but this goes far beyond that, I want it to get big enough that Endeavour has to make some real changes. Not just changes that look good in a press release (investigate this, suspend this person) but real actual changes. I don't want to get optimistic of course as we've seen this happen before with little change, but maybe this is bad enough that finally people will be held accountable for their actions.

• Like 1

ready for some form of "She's just one person. Do you know how many jobs are at stake?" from some online types.

and not regular online types. Bigshots making 6 figures to write shit like that.

You know...it's actually a form of threat straight from the Vince McMahon's to all of us.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

At least the major news sites seem to be picking it up (still nothing on the ESPN website). I'm always afraid that some mainstream media will take the "well wrestling is scummy, what can ya do?" approach but this goes far beyond that, I want it to get big enough that Endeavour has to make some real changes. Not just changes that look good in a press release (investigate this, suspend this person) but real actual changes. I don't want to get optimistic of course as we've seen this happen before with little change, but maybe this is bad enough that finally people will be held accountable for their actions.

It’s on CNN

15 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yeah... have you seen exactly how "hands on" TKO is with all the various UFC stuff? Their Vince equivalent hit his wife in public and didn't get suspended because "it'd hurt the people working for the company more than him".

2 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Great angle to take, Brandon. Show us how smart you are at knowing all the rules and explaining how we have to follow them like they make sense.

That feels unfair, he's probably been getting this question nonstop today so he's putting out what the company bylaws basically say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, username said:

Yeah... have you seen exactly how "hands on" TKO is with all the various UFC stuff? Their Vince equivalent hit his wife in public and didn't get suspended because "it'd hurt the people working for the company more than him".

It really seems like the logical answer is to hurt him more.