DVDVR Message Board

2024 Joshi Discussion Thread

Stefanie Sparkleface

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Either way I think we can all agree that anyone invoking a recently passed wrestler to push their own thoughts on a situation are probably pretty shitty and should stop doing that. (I don't mean you since you are just responding to it, but anyone that brings it up in the first place)

I'm still a little unclear if the former AgZ wrestlers are officially signed with Marigold, will be Freelancers with Marigold as their main home, or they will be signed but it was such a late development they haven't signed but are going to any moment. I say that partially because Marigold's website roster has all the other wrestlers including Nanae and Nao, but none of the former AgZ wrestlers.

Yeah, it was a little disturbing to see her invoked like that from people who were angry at the situation.

I suspect they'll be added soon enough. Considering it was done to generate buzz - mission accomplished! - it wouldn't make sense for them to have promo pics and everything at the ready.

Stardom's All-Star Grand Queendom card for the 27th

Maika vs Momo Watanabe

Mayu Iwatani  vs Sareee

Saori Anou vs Hanan

meltear vs Kaoru Ito/Aja Kong

Rina vs Sayaka Kurara

Syuri/Ami Sohrei/Konami vs TBA

Konami is apparently coming back full-time to Stardom

Anyone else find it a bit odd that Sareee has a big match in Stardom and then a month later has a big match in Marigold? Not that the wrestlers themselves seem to be on bad terms or anything but with how Rossy left I just assumed they wouldn't really be sharing Freelancers. Although now I figure there is no way that Sareee beats Mayu, not that I expected that anyway but I can't see the IWGP Women's Champion wrestling on the debut Marigold show. But wrestling is wacky and weird so who knows.

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Anyone else find it a bit odd that Sareee has a big match in Stardom and then a month later has a big match in Marigold? Not that the wrestlers themselves seem to be on bad terms or anything but with how Rossy left I just assumed they wouldn't really be sharing Freelancers. Although now I figure there is no way that Sareee beats Mayu, not that I expected that anyway but I can't see the IWGP Women's Champion wrestling on the debut Marigold show. But wrestling is wacky and weird so who knows.

I thought the same thing when I saw the lineup. However, the whole thing is weird considering the last several weeks were essentially lameduck matches waiting for everything to shake out. I am guessing they already committed to the IWGP Women's title match and Sareee is willing to honor that commitment. 

I don't think either side has the pull to keep any freelancers exclusive to one or the other promotion.  If that were the case, they would just sign those wrestlers outright.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the ASGQ card so far.  The top two matches should be good (with Momo/Maika being a "3 Stages of Hell" match), but really odd with 10 days left and a lot of the bigger names (Mina, Saya, Suzu, AZM, SLK, etc) without a match yet.

AWG retracted their statement, as apparently some things in it were incorrect. Fuka has asked for an apology.

Re: the Stardom lineup, I'm not that surprised about Sareee. She's a good freelancer draw, so why not get her involved. If anything, I'm more amused at Aja Kong showing up; that's a definitive sign that Stardom is in their post-Rossy era.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

AWG retracted their statement, as apparently some things in it were incorrect. Fuka has asked for an apology.

Re: the Stardom lineup, I'm not that surprised about Sareee. She's a good freelancer draw, so why not get her involved. If anything, I'm more amused at Aja Kong showing up; that's a definitive sign that Stardom is in their post-Rossy era.

That's a big FU to Rossy.

What is the beef between them?  Money?  Who else does Rossy have old bitter beef with?

My tippity top freelancers would be Ryo Mizunami, Momoka Hanazono, Kaho Kobayashi, Sareee and Yuu.  Is Hiroyo Matsumoto actually freelance?

'Course neither Stardom or Marigold has ZONES so they can't truly be the #1 promotion (yet).  She's like R. Crumb's Devil Girl.  Somebody get her some Susan Tyrell DVDs.

Edited by assfax
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, assfax said:

What is the beef between them?  Money?  Who else does Rossy have old bitter beef with?

Rossy and Aja had a major falling out over Arsion towards the end of 2000. Lawsuits happened. It was bad. Like bad bad.

There was a similar falling out with Ayako Hamada when Ayako took over as Arsion's top star, to the point where it was legitimately shocking that Ayako showed up at the Arsion reunion and hugged Rossy.

Things have cooled down between him and the Crush Gals, but he had a major problem with Chigusa Nagayo for a loooooooong time. Things were better between him and Lioness Asuka for a couple of years in the early-2000s, and she even booked for Arsion for a few months, but they fell out again shortly thereafter. Rossy takes credit for the Crush Gals' success when he was nothing more than an errand runner for them; Fumi Saito touts Rossy's version of things.

Rossy and Manami Toyota also do not get along, but I don't recall what the basis of that was. Same with Kyoko Inoue.

Though really, it's wrestling, so there's bound to be heat with everyone at some point, and it gets patched up eventually. The Rossy/Aja one is the one that is likely never going to die considering it actually went into courts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Things have cooled down between him and the Crush Gals, but he had a major problem with Chigusa Nagayo for a loooooooong time. Things were better between him and Lioness Asuka for a couple of years in the early-2000s, and she even booked for Arsion for a few months, but they fell out again shortly thereafter. Rossy takes credit for the Crush Gals' success when he was nothing more than an errand runner for them; Fumi Saito touts Rossy's version of things.

Rossy and Chigusa have been good for a over a decade now. Never heard the Crush Gals claim. Was he even booker in AJW when the Crush Gals were at their height? 

4 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Rossy and Manami Toyota also do not get along, but I don't recall what the basis of that was. Same with Kyoko Inoue.

He and Toyota were fine until Bea Priestly/Blair Davenport started using Toyota's finisher. Toyota was pissy about it because she felt only people she bequeathed the move to should use it. She got mocked for her reaction by fans and wrestlers.

Rossy and Kyoko Inoue were fine with each other last time I checked.

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Rossy and Chigusa have been good for a over a decade now. Never heard the Crush Gals claim. Was he even booker in AJW when the Crush Gals were at their height? 

He and Toyota were fine until Bea Priestly/Blair Davenport started using Toyota's finisher. Toyota was pissy about it because she felt only people she bequeathed the move to should use it. She got mocked for her reaction by fans and wrestlers.

Rossy and Kyoko Inoue were fine with each other last time I checked.

Rossy claimed credit for being the PR manager for the Crush Gals, as well as the PR manager for all of Zenjo, in the 1990s en route to leaving and starting Arsion. Fumi Saito repeated this claim while hyping Rossy up in an interview with Monthly Puroresu, that Zenjo had no idea how to promote anyone until Rossy came along, and that the Crush Gals would have never been as successful if it wasn't for Rossy. It was old beef at the time, but Fumi attempted to reheat it for the sake of hyping up his guy. Fortunately, nobody paid any attention to it, because Fumi is a shill.

Rossy and Kyoko/Manami had old beef from the late-1990s. It's long squashed, but it was surrounding his starting of Arsion. Rossy and Kyoko both starting promotions at the same time wasn't a great idea.

• Like 2

I believe on the first ever NEO card, Kyoko Inoue wrestled not once, not twice, but THREE times. If you weren't getting enough Kyoko in your life, that's your show right there.

This isn't strictly joshi, but I thought I'd mention it since it features a prominent joshi wrestler: Chihiro Hashimoto put on an absolute technical clinic with Shinya Aoki on the 4/7 DDT show.  Highly recommend checking it out.

I kind of disagree. Omega tends to noticeably bad mouth or air grievances during political times with his promotions. Not to say he isn't wrong, but the implication he is making without actually saying it is pretty dark and rather shitty of him if not true. It seems off given how many seem to actually like Ogawa, but that doesn't necessarily say much since some predators know how to hide themselves well.

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I kind of disagree. Omega tends to noticeably bad mouth or air grievances during political times with his promotions. Not to say he isn't wrong, but the implication he is making without actually saying it is pretty dark and rather shitty of him if not true. It seems off given how many seem to actually like Ogawa, but that doesn't necessarily say much since some predators know how to hide themselves well.

Omega wouldn't say anything bad about the guy his company hates more than just about anyone on Earth to the point they built an episode of one of their TV shows around burying him a few weeks back.

13 hours ago, sabremike said:

Omega wouldn't say anything bad about the guy his company hates more than just about anyone on Earth to the point they built an episode of one of their TV shows around burying him a few weeks back.

Sure, but he noticeably talked shit about NJPW when the Elite left despite most signs pointing to NJPW giving him and the group a ton of freedom for a good year or two. He noticeably talked shit about WWE when AEW was forming. Then when Cody left AEW he claimed all the anti-WWE stuff was Cody despite it having mostly coming from Omega and Khan back then. Not saying he is wrong, but I think Omega is far more political than he pretends to be.

Not talking crap about CM Punk when its been reported everyone but Tony Khan has basically moved on doesn't really say much. 

Edited by Eivion