DVDVR Message Board

2024 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

On 4/7/2024 at 11:38 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

Was it just me or is there zero info about a physical media release for The Unbreakable Bunch?

IMDB says it was released in October of last year.

No information about a streamer, either.

I'm a sucker for that stuff, so I hope I can remember it's somewhere in limbo.

Shit, I just noticed the Power Plant Legacy Films part of the poster.

So...uh....what?

The Power Plant isn't exactly as bad as some of these other places who produced below par wrestlers, and they had one strong success story even if he was extremely flawed. However, I don't think there was a legacy that was left. 

Was Hard Work Bobby Walker a gaffer or something? 

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder who the #2 success story would be presuming you exclude DDP. 

Jindrak/Marco Corleone? 

Elix Skipper? Unlike Bobby Walker, he would actually hit his spots. Also, he would wind up having some match of the year candidates.

Has Skipper really not wrestled since 2008? That’s when his Wiki stops. That’s also right before his son was killed in 2009. 

edit: according to Cagematch, his last three matches were against Tyler Black, Dennis Condrey and Chic Donovan,  2 in 2008 amd one in 2009.

jindrak worked until 2018, i think main evented some CMLL PPVs, appeared on a telenova and married an Edecane. 

Edited by odessasteps

Elix was one of those guys who looked younger than he actually was. He was in his early 30s when started wrestling so it's totally understandable if his actually career was abbreviated. That and I think it wasn't much for him to do after Triple X broke up originally. He just became another guy in TNA.

A guy like Jindrak was eventually able to find his footing after his American prospects waned. Even then, physically, he probably would have gotten another chance if things fell the right way.

On 4/8/2024 at 11:09 PM, odessasteps said:

I wonder who the #2 success story would be presuming you exclude DDP. 

Jindrak/Marco Corleone? 

Would The Giant count?

saw the trailer for Joker 2. Didn’t think the first film needed a sequel, tried to say something about mental illness, austerity and fascism but threw it away by saying “he’s just a nut” in the third act 

18 hours ago, zendragon said:

Would The Giant count?

saw the trailer for Joker 2. Didn’t think the first film needed a sequel, tried to say something about mental illness, austerity and fascism but threw it away by saying “he’s just a nut” in the third act 

It was thrown away for me with it's obvious Taxi Driver lifting except Travis Bickle inspired a bunch of people at the end.

• Like 2

Your female and gay male friends are gonna need about... 5-10 minutes alone:

It's called frotting.   (DO NOT LOOK THAT UP AT WORK.)

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Your female and gay male friends are gonna need about... 5-10 minutes alone:

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF 

BE RIGHT BACK.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

THE BEAST (dir. Bertrand Bonello)

Also, this 

https://www.rogerebert.com/mzs/megalopolis-coppola-cannes

In yet another of the money travails in the career of Francis Coppola (remember that even Dracula was done for profit), nobody wants to buy Megalopolis. The saying goes that "what's the point of having money if you can't spend it". Why can't any of these rich fucks get behind that? I guess they would just tell me "the point of making money is to make more money" instead and take a limo back to their yacht. (Don't see how A24 wouldn't pick it up though if they have the cash, so it'll probably be their loss.)

On 4/11/2024 at 8:21 AM, Andrew POE! said:

It was thrown away for me with it's obvious Taxi Driver lifting except Travis Bickle inspired a bunch of people at the end.

That's completely unfair. 

It also had copious and obvious lifting from The King of Comedy.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2024 at 12:21 PM, Curt McGirt said:

THE BEAST (dir. Bertrand Bonello)

Also, this 

https://www.rogerebert.com/mzs/megalopolis-coppola-cannes

In yet another of the money travails in the career of Francis Coppola (remember that even Dracula was done for profit), nobody wants to buy Megalopolis. The saying goes that "what's the point of having money if you can't spend it". Why can't any of these rich fucks get behind that? I guess they would just tell me "the point of making money is to make more money" instead and take a limo back to their yacht. (Don't see how A24 wouldn't pick it up though if they have the cash, so it'll probably be their loss.)

The Beast is one I'll try to find tickets to see - only one theater in Atlanta is showing it so I'll have to go to Plaza Theater to see it.

I can see Apple or Netflix spending the money to have Megalopolis on their services instead of it playing in theaters.

On 4/10/2024 at 1:59 PM, zendragon said:

Would The Giant count?

It was just nasty, cynical trash directed at a lowest common denominator audience who surely wouldn’t understand any “message” that may have existed anyway.  I did a work trip right before the pandemic hit and, on the plane, saw The Rise of Skywalker on the way out and Joker on the way back.  What travel gods did I piss off?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It was just nasty, cynical trash directed at a lowest common denominator audience who surely wouldn’t understand any “message” that may have existed anyway.  I did a work trip right before the pandemic hit and, on the plane, saw The Rise of Skywalker on the way out and Joker on the way back.  What travel gods did I piss off?

It was one of those rare moments where I nearly hated the movie and thought it was the most base horseshit, but also thought Phoenix’s performance was really good.

I highly doubt I’ll give the sequel the time of day.

• Like 2