DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 - WEEK TWO

Dolfan in NYC

I like ole Jim. He really missed a crapload of breaks in the NFL. He was a good quarterback and might have been the 2nd funnest guy to watch out there besides Favre that year he made the CCG. 

Is Clemson losing getting or not getting enough attention? 

I personally think Dabo has lost his fire since losing to LSU. People have told me I’m wrong. I don’t mean he’s washed, or even bad, but he’s just not* <—-EDIT the same hungry coach. But say I’m wrong…then this upset isn’t getting enough attention lol! This is App St/MI,  Carnegie Tech/Notre Dame level madness. 

Has Duke ever even made a major upset? I don’t count 1989 Clemson who got to whoop up on my Seminoles after…you know…to be ranked 7.

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

Dabo is teetering on the brink of becoming Les Miles. Miles was a great coach in his time but stubbornly refused to change and the game eventually passed him by. You see that same thing in Dabo with his insistence on not changing the offense, not playing the transfer portal, not embracing NIL, etc.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

It's also fair to remember Dabo's two title teams didn't have the kind of overwhelming talent all the other recent champions have.

They basically had a great pass rush and back to back generational talent type quarterbacks, and they rode them as far as they could.

I don't think Duke beating them is quite on the level as those other upsets. Duke was solid last year. (Though, to be slightly fair to my beloved Wolverines, that App State was way the fuck better than people realized. They absolutely should not have beaten Michigan, but they would've beaten a lot of FBS schools. Won their third straight FCS natty that season. There's a pretty good argument to be made that Stanford over USC was actually the biggest upset of 2007. Which, fuck that year was bonkers.)

Clemson also wasn't ranked top five like Michigan was. And they certainly weren't mid-1920's Notre Dame.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Caleb Williams says that he has no problem staying at USC next year  if it means avoiding an awful Cardinals team with the #1 pick.  And I am sure that Arizona would have no problem extending their tank for 2 years

Behold the power of NIL

(I guess Peyton Manning did the same thing allegedly because he didn't want to be drafted by the Jets, but, of course, the Manning family also had money.)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There's a pretty good argument to be made that Stanford over USC was actually the biggest upset of 2007. Which, fuck that year was bonkers.)

It WAS the biggest upset that year. In fact, the biggest ever by point spread, to that point at least. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tabe said:

It WAS the biggest upset that year. In fact, the biggest ever by point spread, to that point at least. 

2007, the year where an FCS team beat a top five FBS team, a 41 point underdog won straight up, being ranked #2 carried a death curse, and a 2 loss team won the national title without there even being any real controversy over it. 

It's at bare minimum the craziest year I'm old enough to remember (I was three in 1984, which is the only other season in my lifetime that has much of a claim to craziest season ever.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

2007, the year where an FCS team beat a top five FBS team, a 41 point underdog won straight up, being ranked #2 carried a death curse, and a 2 loss team won the national title without there even being any real controversy over it. 

It's at bare minimum the craziest year I'm old enough to remember (I was three in 1984, which is the only other season in my lifetime that has much of a claim to craziest season ever.)

13-9 was also that season! 

• Sad 1

This is completely apropos of nothing, but I still can't quite get past the fact that Nebraska fired Frank Solich at the end of a 9-3 campaign, his fifth 9+ win season in six years at the helm.

They then got just one 9 win season and two losing seasons in the next four years with Bill Callahan.

Then they got Bo Pelini, and they eventually fired him at the end of a 9-3 campaign, his seventh 9+ win season in seven years at the helm, albeit for decent off field reasons.

They have gotten one 9 win season and zero other winning seasons since then.

That might be the worst pair of coach firings any school has ever made that close together.

Edited by Brian Fowler

2 hours ago, EVA said:

I hope Colorado fans enjoy 10:00am football, because after the TCU game drew over 7 million viewers this past weekend, FOX is probably about to rename Big Noon Saturday to Primetime Saturday.

That's another thing that's gonna be low-key interesting starting next year.

Does Fox throw things like "Michigan at USC" or "Oregon at Ohio State" into the Big Noon showcase and have them kick off 9 am local time for one of the schools?

Or, do they end up in prime time west coast slots so Michigan at USC starts at 11 pm for fans watching back in Ann Arbor?

It's almost like schools make more sense grouped together by geography or something.

• Like 1

I don't see them putting Michigan, Ohio State or Ped State into the "Pac 12 After Dark" timeslot. Pretty much anyone else in the Central or Eastern time zones would be fair game for the 10 pm/10:30 pm Eastern start times. 

30 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I am sure it was very regular in the past but seeing Big 10 games on CBS just feels weird.  

Not having them on ABC/ESPN is what I find so strange (though given the Spectrum/Disney pissing match right now, I'm grateful.)

I was in the single digit age range the last time they weren't on either.

You can already see Nebraska defense giving Colorado a much harder time this week. Actually covering guys and tackling and whatnot. I don’t think Nebraska can score at all, so the Buffs will still win, but they’re going to have to work harder for their points today. We’re gonna learn a lot more about how real they are from this game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EVA said:

You can already see Nebraska defense giving Colorado a much harder time this week. Actually covering guys and tackling and whatnot. I don’t think Nebraska can score at all, so the Buffs will still win, but they’re going to have to work harder for their points today. We’re gonna learn a lot more about how real they are from this game.

They are definitely looking to slow the game down too, by which I mean the opposite of what it sounds like where Nebraska is trying to stay on the ground and keep the clock running.

Edited by JLowe

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

I mean, there is no way the backup could play worse than this.

I keep thinking that Casey Thompson actually transferred away because of this guy? Not that he isn’t a cancer, but he’s better than Sims,