DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

Yeah, but the only real benefit to the Premium that matters is the access to the DLC.  If you're on Gamepass, then maybe you cancel the subscription long before that comes out, or you find your rig can't run the game worth two shits in the first place.  Otherwise you're paying $30 to play it 5 days earlier than everyone else and getting some dumb cosmetic stuff like every other micro-transactioned-into-oblivion-but-not-that-oblivion game.  I get it for people who are hell-bent on A) keeping a subscription and B) not buying Starfield outright, but it seems like a bit of a waste for practically anyone else.  DLCs are usually sub-$30 anyway...unless we're now also in the era of Jacking Up DLC Prices.  Frankly I'd rather games were $80-90 each to begin with and then all DLC was free and released as it was whipped into shape and made available.

Edited by Contentious C

The things I play the most on Game Pass are still Peggle and Bejeweled. Usually like for 5 minutes a day so I can get my Game Pass achievement points for the day/week.  And I guess technically I use Game Pass to play NMS on my PC, since my physical copy is for my Xbone. 

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

And if you're a person also interested in the art book and the soundtrack. 

Yeah, I don't give a crap about the soundtrack or the artbook right now.  I'll just keep my SE, wait until the 6th to play, and buy the expansion when it is released.

It's not like Sea of Stars doesn't come out on the 29th or that I don't have my on again / off again Skyrim playthrough to keep me occupied until the 6th.  There will be shit to play on my week off until Starfield hits.

Edited by J.T.

I got the premium upgrade as I'm the end of my patience rope waiting for this game and I am off next Friday so I can sit and play it non-stop for four days. That was worth the $30 to me 🙂

I also decided to start it on the Xbox S but if there is any stuttering/glitchy stuff going on I'll then switch to the gaming PC. But if I'm going to be playing a video game 6 to 8 hours a day I'd rather be as comfortable as possible and the living room definitely wins that battle. 

I've avoided absolutely all spoilers/leaks as I tend to do and won't read any reviews (I didn't even watch the final trailer) so I'm going in not fully knowing everything to expect but still very much looking forward to it.

• Like 1

You used to be able to change the time zone on your console so that you could play early.  When ME:LE came out, I set my console to New Zealand local time and I was playing 16 hours before North American launch time.

it probably still works but I wonder if the companies will start frowning upon that at some point?  It's not like your box isn't on the internet and they could scan your hardware and compare your time zone settings to your physical geoloc.  This is why we always turn those location settings off on our smartphones.  DRM compliance software and malevolent GPS trackers are tools of Satan.

Edited by J.T.

That's why a lot of Ninetendo streamers have Australian Nintendo Online accounts. So they can basically start streaming a game "a day early" in the US. 

Some of them have fun with it too, like putting the Sydney Opera House on their green screen or using a very over the top Aussie accent to start their show. 

Edited by odessasteps

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

starfield-global-release-times-4k-169320

Graphic that shows all the release times

So technically the US (with early access) can start playing Thursday night

FWIW the store page for the premium edition tells you what time the release date is. For example mine says Thursday at 7pm.

10 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Remember Skyrim at launch when mammoths would randomly launch people into the upper stratosphere? God, that ruled.

I thought they never stopped doing that.

I have a higher threshold of what glitches I will ignore (hell I played Cyberpunk at launch), so I really hope it isn't broken for the early access people and they use us as glorified beta testers.

• Like 1

I think there’s a difference in Bethesda bugs and every other developer. At least in my experience. I’ve never had anything game breaking in Fallout 3/NV/4 or Skyrim. Whereas, the two most recent examples I can think of for me personally (Cyberpunk and Avengers) were complete and total shitshows on launch. Bethesda bugs are just funny, or so minor that I don’t even care.

On an unrelated note: the Starfield headset is excellent and it will be replacing my AirPods most likely. I just wish, when paired with the Xbox, it didn’t turn it on when I power up the headphones. And it does this weird thing where it’ll play the audio in both my headset and through my TV speakers so I have to mute my TV. Other than that - great sound quality and reallyyyyy fucking comfortable. More comfortable than the 3D Pulse from Sony honestly.

I've only used them some since I got them, since I don't usually wear headphones when I play games, since I'm usually listening to podcasts. 

Will be curious about starfield only sounds you get wearing the headphones. 

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I've only used them some since I got them, since I don't usually wear headphones when I play games, since I'm usually listening to podcasts. 

Will be curious about starfield only sounds you get wearing the headphones. 

I’ve been using them to listen to some music while playing Destiny 2. And during All In, since I ordered the PPV on Bleacher Report and watched it on Xbox. They’re pretty great honestly, and for the price they better have been (I know most of the price was the Starfield branding but still). I also love the flexible mic, because I usually hate headphones with mics like that.

34 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think there’s a difference in Bethesda bugs and every other developer. At least in my experience. I’ve never had anything game breaking in Fallout 3/NV/4 or Skyrim. Whereas, the two most recent examples I can think of for me personally (Cyberpunk and Avengers) were complete and total shitshows on launch. Bethesda bugs are just funny, or so minor that I don’t even care.

I've heard New Vegas was a comparable shitshow on launch, though I can't confirm; I first played it years later. And some of the bugs that are still in are pretty annoying.

5 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I've heard New Vegas was a comparable shitshow on launch, though I can't confirm; I first played it years later. And some of the bugs that are still in are pretty annoying.

My mind is incredibly hazy from that period since I was in high school and doing lots and lots of bad shit for my brain. But I do remember playing it all the way through on my 360 and not having any complaints or anything. Still my favorite Fallout game, probably. Obsidian don’t miss, it’s probably why I loooooved the more linear version of their Fallout formula in the Outer Worlds.

But I know playing it through again on the SteamDeck now, it’s a mess and I was probably just really fucking high all the time when I played it back then 😂

Before Cyberpunk, New Vegas was the reigning king of buggy games. New Vegas was such a fucking mess and I think many of us knew that was going to be the case because it was Obsidian making it. However, New Vegas never crashed my 360 multiple times.

Then good old Cyberpunk came along and blew New Vegas out of the water. I never had a game that would just crash my PS5 like clockwork. Almost every time at the one hour mark CP would kill my PS5. Or rather, maybe it was it would crash early, then after a restart it would work fine for an hour or two, and then crash again. That second crash I think was almost always my cue to just be done with the game for the day. Then there's everything else in that game that was fucked up and broken. My car flying, interacting with something in the environment and then getting launched into the air, walking along the street and falling through the game world, and on and on. 

There's no way Starfield is going to be that bad. That's basically the bar for me. Just don't be as bad as CP was.

• Thanks 1

Also, haven't we passed the point where release dates for games are really dumb and pointless? Stores have had physical copies in stock for awhile now. The game preloaded almost 2 weeks ago. I mean, if the game is done to the point that you can ship it to a store and let people preload it then just let people play the fucking game especially since it's a single player game. Trying to spike the football on your day 1 sales is dumb in this day and age.