DVDVR Message Board

Gambling scandals

Brian Fowler

I think it might be time this needs it's own thread.

We had the Calvin Ridley deal last year

The mostly Detroit Lions stuff last month

The Alabama baseball coach story that's been going on the last week or two

And now, both Iowa State (involving student athletes from track and field, wrestling, and football) and Iowa (involving approximately 15 student athletes from the baseball team) have gambling probes.

Man, sports leagues and colleges jumping straight into bed with sports books the day it was legal sure didn't have any negative consequences...

• Like 4

Lions also cut Stanley Berryhill a day or two ago. He was the other player only suspended six games instead of the indefinite bans. That means Jameson Williams is now the only player from the team to not lose his job over it.

https://oglobo.globo.com/esportes/noticia/2023/05/quadrilha-investigada-pelo-mp-cita-manipulacao-em-jogos-ate-da-mls-liga-dos-estados-unidos.ghtml

translated from Portuguese to English:

Gang investigated by the MP cites manipulation in games even in the MLS, league of the United States

Conversations reveal negotiations between Bruno López, appointed as the head of the scheme, and Brazilians who work in the US

The accusation of manipulation of football games to generate profits in sports betting reveals that the scheme was not restricted to Brazil. Operation Penalidade Máxima II, launched by the Public Ministry of Goiás , shows conversations between Bruno Lopez, head of the organization, midfielder Max Alves, from Colorado Rapids and who has played for Flamengo, and side Zeca, from Houston Dynamo, two clubs in MLS. The exchange of messages shows confirmation that the payment of BRL 45,000 was made to Max to take a yellow card in a game that took place in September 2022.

20 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

points to avatar

its a matter of when, not if.

I'd put money on it having already happened but not uncovered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

I'd put money on it having already happened but not uncovered. 

well that's the thing, innit.

The Black Sox were about the 6th or 7th team to throw a world series in the 1910s.  They were merely the ones so flagrant and artless about it they couldn't help but get caught (abandoning the plot and suddenly trying to win when the gamblers started to stiff them being my personal favorite wrinkle) and caused the Crisis Moment in the process.

After all, how do you tell the difference between an actual crooked referee and just another innocent bad call stemming from yet another dumb rule?

• Like 1

Ivan Toney has been suspended from all football and football-related activity with immediate effect for eight months, fined £50,000 and warned as to his future conduct for breaches of The FA’s Betting Rules.

• 1 month later...

Cricket has a pretty long history of betting/match fixing scandals but I'm too tired to dig into it right now. I'm sure one of the English lads is probably far better versed in it than I am since I've been out of the sport for years anyway, but the biggest ones that come to mind are "pretty much any neutral site game ever played at Sharjah is sketchy" and the whole Hanse Cronje thing. Pakistan's team in general had a cloud follow them around for years, rightly or wrongly.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

That seems like a lot

Yes, but it's only, like, 2.5 bets per week at face value. If we take out the off-season when he's not betting it goes up to 3.5ish.

The FA's hypocrisy is incredible, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/kayshon-boutte-arrested-illegal-sports-gambling-louisiana-lsu-new-england-patriots-nfl/

Patriots receiver Kayshon Boutte is in some trouble in Louisiana. Boutte has been arrested in Baton Rouge on charges related to illegal online gambling.

Boutte turned himself in on Thursday and is facing charges of Computer Fraud -- which is a felony -- and a misdemeanor count of Gaming Prohibited for Persons Under 21. The charges allege that Boutte, who turned 21 last May, created a fraudulent online gaming account that said he was 21 years old or older so that he could legally gamble while he was still at student at LSU.

He used that account to make nearly 9,000 illegal bets, including six on the LSU football team while he was a member of the Tigers in 2022.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:07 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Apparently he included himself in a parlay and then didn't come even remotely close to paying off.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Apparently he included himself in a parlay and then didn't come even remotely close to paying off.

also his username was basically his real name

we have an entire generation of young people who don't know how to pick an internet alias because they never had to do it

26 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

also his username was basically his real name

we have an entire generation of young people who don't know how to pick an internet alias because they never had to do it

The difference between the "never tell anyone online your real name and never meet people from the Internet" generation and the Uber generation 

• Like 2