DVDVR Message Board

2023 NHL OFFSEASON

Mister TV

• Henrik Lundqvist and Caroline Ouellette headline the Hockey Hall of Fame's class of 2023.
Also set to be inducted in the player category are two other former NHLer netminders in Tom Barrasso and Mike Vernon, while Pierre Turgeon also goes in as part of a seven-member class. 

Former NHL head coach Ken Hitchcock and former agent/general manager Pierre Lacroix, who died in 2020, will go in as builders at the induction ceremony Nov. 13 in Toronto.

Edited by odessasteps

I honestly thought Barrasso was already in.

I'm good with the class (with one exception coming up). Vernon and Turgeon might not make other people's halls, but I'm generally a big hall guy. Halls of Fame are tourist traps and promotional tools, putting less people in does not make them more interesting. I would rather have the argument about a borderline guy who got in, than the interminable arguments about deserving players who didn't get in because they didn't compare to Willie Mays.

But for the love of everything, put fucking Alexander Mogilny in, you weirdos. Not only was he a great player in the NHL, he was a great player before getting to the NHL, and he is significant to the history of the NHL as the first defector from the Soviet Union.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 4

The hall of fame committee has the ability to elect 2 women each year and has never elected more than 1

e: the first year they elected two, Cammie Granato and Angela James, I misread the list

Edited by elizium

Mogilny belongs.  Pierre Turgeon too.  He was a LOT better than Mike Modano, who's already in, to name just one.  Not sure how I feel about Barasso and Vernon.  Fine, put them in, but Chris Osgood should already have been in.  3 Cups, 400+ wins, a Jennings trophy, career 2.09 GAA in the playoffs...

• Like 1

Much like trying to evaluate players who put up ridiculous point totals during the 80s-early 90s, I think evaluating goalies of the dead puck era can be pretty tough as well. Everyone was putting up ridiculous numbers, not just the obvious standouts like your Brodeurs or Haseks. I mean Romen Turek and Manny Legace are both top 20 all time in goals against average. Statistically, Evgeni Nabokov is one of the best goalies in NHL history (24th in GAA and wins, 20th in shutouts, he falters when you get to the adjusted stats but I doubt any of the voters are using those)

That said, should Osgood be in? Sure, why not. Yeah one of those Cups was a backup, but 2 is nothing to sneeze at and halls of fame love inducting whole ass teams that won multiple titles. But not until after Cujo, that's my only request.

Edited by elizium

19 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Rolling out that ring Osgood won as a backup again, never change

Fine. 2 rings as the starter and could have easily had a 3rd in 2009. He started 47 games the year they won their first Cup. Still had a 2.09 GAA in the playoffs in 129 games. 

He belongs in the Hall. 

Patric Hornqvist is retiring.

He got two concussions in December and hadn't played since.  He'd been sort of a coach/advisor in the playoff run, but never suited up again.

On 6/21/2023 at 11:17 PM, Tabe said:

Mogilny belongs.  Pierre Turgeon too.  He was a LOT better than Mike Modano, who's already in, to name just one.  Not sure how I feel about Barasso and Vernon.  Fine, put them in, but Chris Osgood should already have been in.  3 Cups, 400+ wins, a Jennings trophy, career 2.09 GAA in the playoffs...

Pierre Turgeon didn't get in for a long time.  A lot of people pointed to the fact that he was the one guy that didn't leave the bench during the 1987 bench clearing brawl with the Soviet Union during the World Juniors as a reason since he broke the "hockey code".  I don't know about that but I have heard stupider things

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chicago Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz passed away at the age of 70

The team said it was a “sudden passing” and no further details were provided 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 8:36 AM, RIPPA said:

Caps and Tom Wilson agree to an extension

7 years, $45.5 million

Starts with the 24-25 season

I feel like they're going to regret at least half of that contract.

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1692367054869827983?t=arHksA5Cd3Jixvkbd-XdQw&s=19

I was at the game 2 seasons back where RJ was honored and the final words of his speech: "I love you!". I have the banner they gave out hanging over my bed and am looking upon it fighting back tears. The Sabres have had many great players over the years but the greatest Sabre is and always will be RJ, now up in Heaven where mama hides the cookies.

• 5 weeks later...