DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Jacksonville Jaguars - NFLPA Report Card

The Jacksonville Jaguars ranked as the 28th best team in our team guide. As one of the worst ranked franchises in the league, there was no shortage of complaints shared by the player respondents. When asked what the number one thing they want changed at their facility, the answer was unanimous – get rid of the rats! Players reported that for 3-4 weeks this season, there was a rat infestation in the locker room and laundry hampers.

The second issue was the players’ feeling that the team can take better care of the players’ families. For example, because they do not offer a family room like most NFL teams do in their stadium, we heard of instances where players' wives nursed their babies on the floor of a public restroom.

The weight room and training room were also the subject of players’ complaints, although the staff itself is well-liked. It is important to note that they are in the process of building a new practice facility, so there is hope that some of these issues will be resolved soon. The locker room seems to still have faith in owner Shad Kahn, as 95% of players have confidence that he is willing to invest to make the necessary changes.

JAX-FAS-Table.png

Edited by Dolphman 3000

2 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

When asked what the number one thing they want changed at their facility, the answer was unanimous – get rid of the rats!

hey guys, that's no way to refer to Tony Khan

(in before that joke dies a death when there's a Cornette podcast YouTube video about the Jags NFLPA report card depicting Tony Khan gnawing at a wall)

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Haha 1

When asked what the number one thing they want changed at their facility, the answer was unanimous – get rid of the rats! Players reported that for 3-4 weeks this season, there was a rat infestation in the locker room and laundry hampers.

You know, I'm pretty sure that Football players would be enthusiastic with rats hanging around the lockerroom.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Raziel said:

You know, I'm pretty sure that Football players would be enthusiastic with rats hanging around the lockerroom.

Is banging groupies on the road still a thing?  I kind of assumed that largely died out when everyone started carrying camera phones and recording everything for future upload to social media.   

19 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Is banging groupies on the road still a thing?  I kind of assumed that largely died out when everyone started carrying camera phones and recording everything for future upload to social media.   

Considering the QB of the Browns, I'm going to guess it's still a thing across the board, just might not be as out in the open as it was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Considering the QB of the Browns, I'm going to guess it's still a thing across the board, just might not be as out in the open as it was.

Bad example and an additional indictment of Watson. Not only are there still groupies, but he was specifically not doing this stuff to groupies. There are women who would have happily done everything he wanted them to do,  and he decided to spring this shit on a bunch of women who had no idea that this type of thing was part of the job. If you actually read the things he was doing it was less about actual sexual assault in the we think about sexual assault and more about this dude trying to order off a secret menu that did not exist.  The reason he didn't get charged with anything is because what he did is closer to sexual harassment in the workplace than a crime... except there is no HR department if you hire a masseuse of Instagram. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

As of 20 years ago, minor league baseball teams were still keeping separate comp sections for wives and girlfriends so they didn't interact

Tampa is going to release "Guy you picked up in FFL because last week he scored 13.1 points, but will only score 1.8 for you this week" Cam Brate. 

This will save them about $5.6m in cap

Some rumblings on Twitter today that The Giants and Daniel Jones are getting close to a deal. One that will reportedly start with a 4. As in the $40mil range per year. As in somehow Daniel Jones will be in the wheelhouse of the 7th-ish highest yearly QB salary of all time. What? How?

Again I really like Jones. But if this is true they pretty much have to hit on every draft pick his entire run or else they will never get the talent turnover they need to stay competitive.

• Like 1

I'm baffled. Tagging him for two years straight would only be about $68 million. Why would you pay him more than about $35 annually unless somebody else is offering that?

Hell, if somebody else is offering 40, wish him the best of luck.

• Like 4

On 3/4/2023 at 4:22 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I'm baffled. Tagging him for two years straight would only be about $68 million. Why would you pay him more than about $35 annually unless somebody else is offering that?

Hell, if somebody else is offering 40, wish him the best of luck.

First - remember this is all due to how out of wack the QB market is

Next year's tag is gonna be much higher than this year's tag (Lamar's deal alone will bump it up. Jalen Hurts is still on his rookie deal. Justin Herbert's deal runs out next season too)

Signing him to a longer term deal will spread the cap hit over several years AND technically be cheaper than doing the tag since again with the upcoming QB deals the QB market will keep going up

Also - having their QB locked in at a known price will also allow to sign all the other pieces around him easier

Signing him to big money is silly but in terms of pure salary cap maneuvering - a longer term deal is better (I am also assuming they will try to have something in the deal similar to what the Raiders had with Derek Carr where the Giants will basically be able to get out from it after like 3 years with no penalty)

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

First - remember this is all due to how out of wack the QB market is

Next year's tag is gonna be much higher than this year's tag (Lamar's deal alone will bump it up. Jalen Hurts is still on his rookie deal. Justin Herbert's deal runs out next season too)

Signing him to a longer term deal will spread the cap hit over several years AND technically be cheaper than doing the tag since again with the upcoming QB deals the QB market will keep going up

Also - having their QB locked in at a known price will also allow to sign all the other pieces around him easier

Signing him to big money is silly but in terms of pure salary cap maneuvering - a longer term deal is better (I am also assuming they will try to have something in the deal similar to what the Raiders had with Derek Carr where the Giants will basically be able to get out from it after like 3 years with no penalty)

Daniel Jones,  who nobody thought was good until this season,  threw a grand total of 15 touchdowns.  Marcus Mariota also threw 15 touchdowns in 3 fewer games. Do not pay this man long term. If you are excited about his improvement, I want you to remember that he couldn't show more touchdowns than a guy who is never getting another shot as a starter. Fewer than Davis Mills,  Justin Fields, Lamar Jackson in 12 games,  Andy Dalton... Daniel Jones improved from out of the league to replacement level. I repeat,  DO NOT PAY HIM A LONG TERM CONTRACT. 

Seahawks and Geno Smith have reached a 3 year, $105 Million deal

Smith will get $52 million in the first

I am just gonna sit here and keep tapping the QB market sign

• Haha 3

Welp, that’s one way to make $40 mil a year for Daniel Jones look like a shrewd play.  

I saw a lot of Geno in college - my sister-in-law graduated from WVU Law while Smith played there - and he was very entertaining, but his pro career is one bad year with the Jets, one solid year with the Seahawks and a whole lotta benchwarming in between,  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Welp, that’s one way to make $40 mil a year for Daniel Jones look like a shrewd play.  

No it's not.  I understand why you might be reluctant to give Geno a long term deal, but he was legitimately great last season.  Daniel Jones was below average.  You cannot pay a quarterback who only throws 15 touchdowns per season.  Honestly, there is not a single quarterback in the entire league who played as much as him but scored less than him.  He is not good, he's just so much better than you expected that you think he is better than he was.  Understand that his 15 touchdown season is so much better than you expected that you forget that he only threw 15  touchdowns.  Dak Prescott, who had the worst quarterbacking year of his life, threw 23 touchdowns in 12 games.  If you have a quarterback who played 16 games and throws 15 touchdowns it is time to find a new quarterback.  Do you remember how terrible Carson Wentz was as a Colt?  He threw 27 touchdowns.  Do you remember Big Ben's last season where he could barely throw it past the line of scrimmage?  22 touchdowns.  The season where the Bears decided to put Mitch Trubisky on the curb, he threw 16 touchdowns in 10 games.  He's the living definition of replacement level.  Do not give him a long-term contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

No it's not.  I understand why you might be reluctant to give Geno a long term deal, but he was legitimately great last season.  Daniel Jones was below average.  You cannot pay a quarterback who only throws 15 touchdowns per season.  Honestly, there is not a single quarterback in the entire league who played as much as him but scored less than him.  He is not good, he's just so much better than you expected that you think he is better than he was.  Understand that his 15 touchdown season is so much better than you expected that you forget that he only threw 15  touchdowns.  Dak Prescott, who had the worst quarterbacking year of his life, threw 23 touchdowns in 12 games.  If you have a quarterback who played 16 games and throws 15 touchdowns it is time to find a new quarterback.  Do you remember how terrible Carson Wentz was as a Colt?  He threw 27 touchdowns.  Do you remember Big Ben's last season where he could barely throw it past the line of scrimmage?  22 touchdowns.  The season where the Bears decided to put Mitch Trubisky on the curb, he threw 16 touchdowns in 10 games.  He's the living definition of replacement level.  Do not give him a long-term contract.

Thank you. 

Jones has added value as a runner and has shown flashes. Daboll seemed to help him improve a fair amount. There is totally a fair argument for bringing him back next year to see if he can take another step forward.

The QB market is insane, but I cannot see any argument for paying him significantly more per year than two years of tagging him would average out to. Tag him, see how next year goes. If he takes another step forward and looks like a legit guy you can win with, then you pay him. If not, you can get off him scott free and maybe even get a third round pick.