DVDVR Message Board

2023 Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

RIPPA

I thought it was fine, especially for a first show. Sam and Veda did fine on commentary, especially for their first time calling everyone (prep work can only do so much). There were some production quirks that could use some working on (costumes, lighting and sound), but that's totally understandable for a first show.

I think there's potential for this to be a new version of HUSTLE, which people can take however they want.

• Like 1

Misa Kagura and Sumika Yanagawa, collectively known as 1111, made their first defense of the International Ribbon Tag Titles at today's JTO Girls show by beating Tomoko and Azusa Inaba, but just barely. The match went 29:25, and if it had gone just 35 seconds longer, they would have been stripped of the title, as Ice Ribbon strips champions of their titles on a time limit draw.

Their next defense is already lined up on October 22 at 176BOX as they'll go against Hikari Shimizu and Kaho Matsushita, who had already challenged and Kaho seemed a bit miffed that 1111 defended after already promising Hikaho a shot. Kaho has said that there won't be danger of a time limit draw because they'll win the titles in 3 minutes.

• Like 2

Ibuki Hoshi had 6(!) people come forward to be her first challenger, so what better way to handle it than a tournament?

On 9/30, Mifu Ashida will go against Asuka Fujitaki, and Saran will go against Arisa Shinose. The winners of those matches will go against each other on 10/7, where Kyuuri will meet Totoro Satsuki. The winners on 10/7 will wrestle at the 10/9 Yokohama show to determine the first challenger. No word on where the actual challenge would take place, but the 10/22 show at 176BOX is likely. There's also two shows at Tokyo Dome City Prism Hall on 11/3 and 11/5 that could use main events.

Totoro is the favorite, but Kyuuri would be a very interesting challenger. I could also see them putting either Mifu Ashida or Asuka Fujitaki through since they've both looked incredible for rookies.

Speaking of Ibuki, she decided to summon someone who was visiting by using Tsukasa Fujimoto's octopus hold on Sunday. Tsukka seemed pleased.

Utami officially out of the 5* with a cervical hernia. I'm not a doctor (and something might be lost in translation) but that doesn't sound promising - hopefully its not serious.

At a guess that's probably the 1st and 2nd choice winners out through injury now - slightly cursed this year.

AZM will face Mayu for her 10th anniversary

1 hour ago, Mr. Monday Morning said:

At a guess that's probably the 1st and 2nd choice winners out through injury now - slightly cursed this year.

Utami was out as a realistic choice once she had the IWGP title match. Kamitani was never a strong choice based off the building they were giving so many others. I think next year was/is going to be her year if she is healthy enough to return. Its more Queens Quest in general that is hurt with the biggest names out for who knows how long. 

Edited by Eivion

5 hours ago, Mr. Monday Morning said:

I could've sworn it was confirmed after she was injured Saya was intended to win the thing?

Don't think that was confirmed anywhere. No one ever really knows who is suppose to win Japanese tournaments. They are just guessing.

I can see Saya being groomed to get pushed into the Red Belt scene via winning the 5 Star.  No one else really left in contention seem to be ready to be put above the White belt.  The title also has really been weirdly booked this year.  Only 5 matches between two title holders and half of those defenses have been against outsiders.

Stardom New Blood 11 results.

Spoiler

Hina def. Kizuna Tanaka and HANAKO

Thekla def. Sexy Dynamite Princess and Waka Tsukiyama. SDP unmasked as Mariah May, who passed the mask to Waka.

Tam Nakano def. Yuna Mizumori. Yuna is now officially a Cosmic Angels member.

Nanae Takahashi def. Mei Seira

Rina def. Azusa Inaba to retain the Future of Stardom Championship

Wing*Gori (Hanan & Saya Iida) def. Unique Glare (Starlight Kid and KARMA) & Queen's Quest (Miyu Amasaki & AZM) to become the 2nd New Blood Tag Team Champions

Edited by Ace
  • Like 3

5 Star Finals spoilers

Spoiler

Pre-show Battle Royal was won by Suzu Suzuki

Suzu Suzuki def Saya Kamitani by forfeit
Giulia def Utami Hayashishita by forfeit
Mayu Iwatani def Starlight Kid by forfeit

Hanan def. Mariah May. Afterwards, Mariah cut a farewell promo in Japanese, bringing Hanan and Waka to tears.

Momo Watanabe def. AZM

Saori Anou def. Mina Shirakawa, eliminating her.

Maika def. MIRAI, eliminating her and going to the finals.

Ami Sourei def. Syuri

Hazuki def. Natsuko Tora, eliminating her.

Natsupoi def. Tam Nakano, eliminating her.

5 Star Finals:

Suzu Suzuki def. Maika with a corkscrew senton to win the 5 Star Tournament.

• Like 1