DVDVR Message Board

2021-2022 NCAA Basketball Season Thread

RIPPA

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

thats how you know college basketball is a work. when they have all that pyro ready to go off after an upset.?

Wasn't it always, you knew Kane was winning if he didn't do his pyro before a match?  Same premise. 

• Haha 2

Completely batshit regulation ending to last night's Purdue Fort Wayne/Cleveland State tilt:

• Mastodons, trailing by 2, hit a jumper to tie the game with 4.6 seconds left. Their coach immediately calls TO... one problem, they had none. That's the rare administrative technical foul on PFW.
  • Cleveland gets two free throws (make 1/2) and possession. 72-71 Cleveland.
  • Cleveland fouled, make both free throws.  74-71 Cleveland, 2.1 seconds left.
  • FORT WAYNE HALF-COURT BUZZER BEATER. 74-74 and to overtime.

Fort Wayne eventually wins 102-98 in triple OT. Sounds like an absolute classic.

Tubby Smith has stepped down as High Point HC for health reasons

Basically - Tubby caught COVID a second time and he already missed a bunch of time this season.

His son, G.G. is the new HC

Georgia has suspended men's basketball assistant coach Wade Mason with pay while the athletics department investigates an alleged incident that took place at halftime of the team's loss Wednesday at LSU, a source confirmed to ESPN on Saturday.

Mason, a first-year assistant under coach Tom Crean, will not be on the bench for the Saturday game against Ole Miss at Stegeman Coliseum (1 p.m. ET, SEC Network and ESPN App).

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution first reported that an altercation took place at halftime of the 84-65 loss to the Tigers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, involving Mason and director of player personnel Brian Fish.

The university released a statement Saturday disputing reports that it was attempting to fire Crean for cause because he failed to report the incident to the athletics department's human resources office.

"There have been various media reports related to UGA Athletics personnel ranging from completely inaccurate to incomplete and premature," the school said. "The incident in question was reported properly as required by university policies and is under review. We will comment if and when appropriate."

The Bulldogs are in last place in the SEC with a 6-20 record, including 1-12 in conference play.

Crean is 47-69 in four seasons at Georgia.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Tom Crean (who, BTW, is from the town I live in) sure better not be giving them an excuse to fire him for cause right now, given that he has to be close to dismissal either way.

Howard is claiming someone grabbed him before he swung and that's why he did, but...

It's not a good look, especially for a coach who already once before had to be physically restrained from going after another head coach during a game.

32 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

someone needs to call a timeout so people can sort out which types of late game effort are fine in a blowout

Seriously.  I do not understand how coaches can get so mad that basketball players are playing basketball during a basketball game.  It's always the dumbest thing.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

I would fire Howard for that. 

Honestly, Gard made this shit worse than it ever had to be by putting his hands on Howard... also, I want to know what the Badger assistant said to Howard to make him blow his top.

9 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Seriously.  I do not understand how coaches can get so mad that basketball players are playing basketball during a basketball game.  It's always the dumbest thing.

Intentional fouling down a bunch in the last minute is also pretty stupid but it's not really worth getting mad over because there isn't a good alternative and it's just "playing hard" anyways as long as nobody is busted open on the foul.

There is sort of a context that kinda makes consistency harder for this. Like if a Monmouth player dunks in Allen Fieldhouse down a bunch, it's not considered near as bad as if a KU player dunked while blowing out Monmouth.

So wanna play a press while down a bunch? okay sure. Wanna call a timeout while up a bunch? yeah sure.

The entire thing is sort of a proxy war for "do you think Juwan should be fired" which I think is the Michigan basketball version of how Indiana basketball is mostly about how they're mad at being around .500 in conference.

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

Honestly, Gard made this shit worse than it ever had to be by putting his hands on Howard... also, I want to know what the Badger assistant said to Howard to make him blow his top.

Howard talked nonsense to him first, then tried to walk away. Gard grabbed his elbow so he could respond. Then Howard freaked out. I don't think Gard did anything wrong here and it's 100% on Howard. 

And that includes the game stuff. Howard was pressing - with a starter - down 15 in the last 20 seconds against guys who hadn't played. So Gard called a timeout to help them out. Completely OK with that. 

Howard - especially since he tried to start a fight with the Maryland coach previously - deserves a very long suspension and, like I said, I would fire him. 

• Like 1

Eh, I still think he's in the wrong but I can't get behind firing a guy for sort of slapping ineffectually at somebody's head in a scuffle.  Make him apologize, give him a couple games off and keep it moving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Howard talked nonsense to him first, then tried to walk away. Gard grabbed his elbow so he could respond. Then Howard freaked out. I don't think Gard did anything wrong here and it's 100% on Howard. 

While Howard is 100% in the wrong for escalating to the point of taking a swing at him...  Grabbing him was what escalated this whole situation.  He says something, Whatever, we won by almost 20.  Don't even come to his level, nothing good will come of it (as we saw).  

As for Juwan, I'm sure he did himself zero favors by doing this.  Yeah, fine him severely and give him a week to cool off and hopefully finish the season with some semblance of dignity.  You're gonna gain nothing by firing him now.  

If they see each other in the B1G tournament... oh boy, I can tell you those refs are going to be whistling if someone breathes wrong. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Eh, I still think he's in the wrong but I can't get behind firing a guy for sort of slapping ineffectually at somebody's head in a scuffle.  Make him apologize, give him a couple games off and keep it moving.

And suspend whichever knucklehead DX'd him after it settled down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just love that of all the things you can blame in the situation, people are using the handshake line as one of them.   Yeah because I am sure Juwan would have been perfectly respectable in the situation if they didn't have to shake hands after the game

• Like 1
  • Haha 1