DVDVR Message Board

2021-2022 NCAA Basketball Season Thread

RIPPA

gonna be interesting to see if Michigan's players pretty much quit for the season and transfer out or if they actually do better as a result of all this.

some recruiter somewhere is plagiarizing the Suge Knight source awards speech to see if that can get someone to leave Michigan/Big 10 for their program

For the first time in college basketball history - seven teams in the Top 10 lost on the same day

No. 1 Gonzaga, No. 2 Arizona, No. 3 Auburn, No. 4 Purdue, No. 5 Kansas, No. 6 Kentucky and No. 9 Texas Tech all lost. It is also the first time ever that the Top 6 all lost on the same day

Six of the Top 10 losing on the same day had happened five times previously (last time was Feb 2017)

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh yeah - local radio saying that Maryland's top choice is Rick Pitino is the chaos I am here for

I don't think I had Pitino in the B1G on my bingo card.

To be clear - it was a few of Maryland top boosters pushing it not technically the University but as the $$$ goes so does everything else

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

The post-Steph generation of basketball is going to be fascinating.

Between the new era of guys who can hit from anywhere in the gym, and the new era of guys who are 7'0" and wildly athletic with lead scoring guard skills... The NBA is such a fascinating and different league than it was just a decade ago.

As part of Florida senior day - Keyontae Johnson got a ceremonial start as he was on the court for the first time since collapsing on the court in Dec 2020

Florida forward Keyontae Johnson, who collapsed during a game in December 2020 and hasn't practiced or played since, got the ceremonial start on senior day in a 71-63 loss to No. 7 Kentucky on Saturday.

Johnson was on the floor for the first of two opening tips, got the basketball from teammate Colin Castleton and took a few dribbles before handing it to an official. He then hugged starters on both teams, did a pushup at midcourt and kissed the giant Gators logo -- all while receiving a standing ovation.

After acknowledging the fans, Johnson shook hands with Kentucky coach John Calipari before heading back to the Florida bench to embrace coach Mike White and the rest of the Florida coaching staff and players.

Johnson, 22, was one of seven Florida seniors honored about 10 minutes before the game. He had his parents and his young daughter on hand for the ceremony. He quickly changed from jeans and a T-shirt into his No. 11 uniform and was on the floor for layup lines. He had his cellphone tucked into his shorts for the first one, a clear sign of just how long it's been since he's taken part in a game.

The senior from Norfolk, Virginia, is expected to turn pro and try to get medically cleared to work out for NBA teams before the draft. He also has a $5 million insurance policy that would pay out if he never plays pro ball.

Johnson's policy went into effect in July 2020, five months before he crashed face-first onto the court at Florida State. He has taken on the role of "Coach Key" ever since.

The Southeastern Conference's preseason player of the year in 2020 turned his attention toward pursuing a potential NBA career. He needs medical clearance -- something that hasn't happened in the 15 months since his collapse -- and then to pass any number of tests before being allowed to attend this year's NBA combine and/or privately work out for teams.

Johnson's policy provides him enough flexibility to take steps toward playing professionally and still be able to reverse course and make an insurance claim. If he does trigger the insurance policy that Florida paid the premiums on, there's an option for him to take the $5 million as a lump sum. There's no timetable or deadline for Johnson to make a decision on his future.

Johnson has spent most of the past two seasons cheering on teammates from the bench as he remains enrolled in school and on scholarship. He is scheduled to graduate next month.

The Gators say they would love to have him on the floor, but they also want to protect him and help him make the best choices for his long-term health and his financial future.

• Like 1

Apparently North Carolina got the booking sheet late tonight as after starting real hot they are getting smoked now.  

If you aren't a Duke fan this Coach K stuff is beyond excessive.  I mean are we really going to believe that Seinfeld was a Duke guy.  

EDIT. ??  North Carolina with an incredible 2nd half to win

Edited by hammerva
  • Haha 2

While I may have never respected Coach K's hypocritical moralizing I do respect how he'd pretend his back hurt whenever he wanted to get out of work.

Rest in piss, Duke

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2