DVDVR Message Board

UFC 261: Usman vs. Masvidal II (4/24/2021) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

So in the build up they were saying that having three African champions meant that Africa had more UFC Champs than any other region. Which is a bit of a fudge - like Brazil has three belts but only two Champions because of Amanda Nunes' double titles (along with Deveison Figueredo).

Arguably, you could say that Khabib, Valentina and Jan Blachowicz are all from the former Eastern Bloc, and therefore the same region. Or that Khabib, Valentina and Weili Zhang are all from Asia. Although why Khabib is still Lightweight Champion I don't know. It should be vacant. He said he vacated it, but Dana insists on still recognising him.

From a By the Numbers UFC 261 article on sherdog.com:

9: Fighters in UFC history to win via ankle lock submission after Brendan Allen accomplished the feat in a win over Karl Roberson in a preliminary middleweight affair. The others: Don Frye, Oleg Taktarov, Marcus Davis, Roman Mitichyan, Andrei Arlovski, Kurt Pellegrino, Manny Gamburyan and Thiago Moises.

@Elsalvajeloco, @Teflon Turtle and @zendragon.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

I don't know what it is, but I get really, really anxious whenever Colby or Masvidal fights, mainly because I don't want either of those pricks getting a live mic and spewing their bullshit. You'd have to try to not like Usman. He's such a good dude and all I ever want is for him to shut cocky motherfuckers like Masvidal up.

?????

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Loved the show apart from the leg break, great to have an electric crowd back. I hope Usman goes unbeaten for the rest of his career.

i love the reactions you see from Anik, Rogan, and Cormier.  They suddenly transform from commentators into fans in one single moment and it doesn't feel forced.  It shows a genuine love for the sport

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I loved the energy from the crowd in the early prelims.

Great to see Lionheart pick up another win and also back to his traditional best "Return of the Mack"! Not great to see Weidman go down like that, another of my favs.

Absolutely shocked to see Rose knock out Zhang, never ever would've guessed that one. I was holding out hope for Andrade to be the upset of the night but it was not to be.

Amazing win and performance from Usman, he just keeps getting better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Absolutely shocked to see Rose knock out Zhang, never ever would've guessed that one. I was holding out hope for Andrade to be the upset of the night but it was not to be.

I missed it as I was picking up dinner but it didn't even look that explosive/powerful just really well timed and accurate. Gonna be really interesting to see how Zhang bounces back from this. Have they fully committed (as far as Dana ever fully commits to something before it's official) to an instant rematch? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I missed it as I was picking up dinner but it didn't even look that explosive/powerful just really well timed and accurate. Gonna be really interesting to see how Zhang bounces back from this. Have they fully committed (as far as Dana ever fully commits to something before it's official) to an instant rematch? 

One thing you have to give to Rose is she's extremely good at catching people cold before they ever get into a rhythm. An Amanda Nunes can do that because she can sell out from the start of a bout and not fear anything coming back at her. If you give Rose one opportunity, she's going to land the perfect shot. Happened in the first Joanna fight, and it happened here.

And it's not like Rose did something extremely complex. She faked low and went high. If she (Weili) is biting on stuff like that...it's hard to see her do well in a rematch. If that throws you off, it's going to be tough to deal with Rose when she gets cooking. 

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And it's not like Rose did something extremely complex. She faked low and went high. If she (Weili) is biting on stuff like that...it's hard to see her do well in a rematch. If that throws you off, it's going to be tough to deal with Rose when she gets cooking. 

The whole sequence is rather intriguing.  Rose begins swaying and feinting and it looks like Weili is trying to get Rose's timing down, when in actuality it appears that Rose is lulling Weili into synching with her movement so that she can precisely time her head kick.   It's like a snake charmer being charmed by the snake.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The whole sequence is rather intriguing.  Rose begins swaying and feinting and it looks like Weili is trying to get Rose's timing down, when in actuality it appears that Rose is lulling Weili into synching with her movement so that she can precisely time her head kick.   It's like a snake charmer being charmed by the snake.

I can see that happening later in a fight (or at least when fighters are still feeling each other out in a more tactical fight early in or midway through round 2). Not so much that early.

I wonder how much tape study Weili's camp did on Rose cause it definitely seems like Trevor Wittman and company did their homework.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I wonder how much tape study Weili's camp did on Rose cause it definitely seems like Trevor Wittman and company did their homework.

That's true.  Rose may have been timing Zhang because of rhythmic tells she's shown in previous fights.  Bisping studied a lot of tape on Luke Rockhold for their rematch and figured out that Luke had a unconscious habit of dropping his guard when he disengaged and that's what got Luke knocked the fuck out in R1 and won the Middleweight title for The Count.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Jiji said:

This is probably true but Weili's head movement and general defense isn't good. She's hittable. We'll see if she improves her defense or if this is just who she is. 

Oh, Zhang is very hittable but she's never been KOed like that and she's been in some fights where she's been mauled and still managed to stay on her feet.

That head kick shut Weili's lights completely out.  It's like Luke Skywalker on the Death Star trench run.  You have to be very familiar with your opponent's bad habits in order to exploit a weakness like that.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1