DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

• 2 weeks later...

Just started watching the documentary on Netflix about the rise and I guess fall of JUUL E-Cigarettes.  If you are one of these people who will tell everyone that vaping is much better than regular cigs then this you probably want to avoid this.   It is almost funny that in the first 10 to 15 minutes the original designers were "cigarettes without the dangers of it and the addiction" of it and that goes out the fucking window as soon as the marketing hits.   The path they want to promote JUUL was exactly the same route that the cigarette companies did by appealing to it's "cool" factor with influencers and social media.  Also the marketing about how safe it was was pretty much the same too.    You see how even the people who defend JUUL because it got them off of regular cigarettes readily admit they are massively addicted to it.    

• Like 1

The three episode JFK: One Day in America doc series on Hulu and I think Disney+ is really good. It has present day interviews with the living Secret Service Agents, Journalists(including Bill Mercer), Oswald's co-worker's and others, thankfully it doesn't get into the conspiracy nonsense. There's a lot of restored footage that looks amazing but everything they colorized looks bad, no idea why anyone thinks it looks good or that people even want it or even care if its not in color.

Watched the first episode of Love Has Won while eating breakfast this morning. Nearly threw my tray table at the television.

I didn't feel rage at all times, though.  The part where the cult became the fringe wacko version of HSN was oddly fascinating

Edited by J.T.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.fangoria.com/original/dario-argento-panico-trailer-an-in-depth-look-at-the-horror-legend/

Crossposting from the horror thread (we're still using this for documentaries, right? No change with the new year?)

Yeah - I stopped posting a new thread (looks at when this thread was started) - in 2021

• Haha 1

The Greatest Night in Pop

I am actually shocked it took this long to do a documentary on We Are the World but I am here for it

• 2 weeks later...

Info about what was nominated for Best Documentary

Bobi Wine: The People’s President

(Full Documentary can be found HERE)

The Eternal Memory

(Trigger Warning - Alzheimer’s thus can be a very very tough watch.)

Four Daughters

Best Documentary at Cannes

To Kill a Tiger

(Trigger Warning: Rape of a minor)

20 Days in Mariupol

(Trigger Warning: *waves arms* everything)

Best Documentary winner at Sundance

(Full Documentary can be found HERE)

The Netflix documentary on We are the World is great for people who remember that period of music and time.  It is fascinating that in a music world full of some of the craziest egos and they got in all done in one day in the middle of the night.  Knowing that if someone wrong happens the song isn't happening.   The timing of the American Music Awards being the previous night was just perfect and probably lucky as well.  Some of the top highlights for me (will spoiler since it is new):

Spoiler

1.  If you did a top 30 musicians between 1960-1990 that were still alive, probably 75% of them are in this song.  And Dan Ackroyd.  What the fuck 😂

2.  The stories about Cyndi Lauper and Shelia E were great.  It was pretty obvious that they only brought Shelia because they wanted Prince and eventually she knew it.   I mean yeah history doesn't recognize her as even B level but in 1985 she was really big.   Cyndi was great because she has serious self esteem issue being around these stars.  She thought people were making fun of her only to find out that it was her beads were the issue with her part of the vocals.  

3.  Stevie Wonder being the pain in the ass.   No idea that he wanted to put a Swahili verse into the song even though that wasn't the language of Ethiopia and it such an agreed bad idea that Waylon Jennings said fuck this and left.   Then screwing up his part maybe on purpose to the point that Quincy Jones is yelling to shut the hell up. 

4.  Bob Dylan.  He knows why he is there but he also knows this isn't his shit and kind of going through the motions until his part comes up.

13 hours ago, hammerva said:

The Netflix documentary on We are the World is great for people who remember that period of music and time.

I'm one of those people so I enjoyed it. One thing I never realized was that Bette Midler was in this. I mean I've seen her every time I've watched the video but I think I always assumed it was Kathy Valentine from the Go-Go's. Yes, I know they look nothing alike but I'm sure I was thrown off by the hairstyle and because even teen me would have been incredulous that you had BETTE MIDLER on hand and you couldn't give her a solo spot??!! Crazy.

Spoiler

Hell, she could have easily filled the presumptive Prince spot, even though Huey did a fine job. Enough with the MJ memes. Regarding Sheila E's story, obviously she was correct but that also means she got a lot more attention then the lesser Debarges or Jacksons that were there. Nice that it was still ultimately a positive experience for her.

Aw, they didn't say how Dan Aykroyd got in the song.

"My father and I were interviewing business managers in LA, and we walked into this office of a talent manager, and realized we were in the wrong place. I was looking for a money manager, not a talent manager. I had managed myself at that time and always have. But he said, 'So long as you are here, would you like to come and join this 'We Are the World' thing?' I thought, how do I fit in here? Well, we did sell a few million records with the Blues Brothers and, in my other persona, I am a musician, so I showed up and was a part of it, but it was totally by accident."