DVDVR Message Board

2020 INDIE WRESTLING

RIPPA

We're in Smyrna, so about 25-ish minute drive, I think? We haven't even really been to the city proper at this point. To say that it was an interesting time to move (from PA, where I was born and lived my entire 42 years) would be quite an understatement. We were only here maybe 6 weeks before the world came to a crashing halt. Barely had a chance to explore yet.

I’ve only been to Smyrna a handful of times - to buy a car, interview for a job at Nissan, etc. I absolutely love Murfreesboro, though. I’d choose the ‘Buro over Nashville any day of the week.

So I completed The Collective and watched all ONE HUNDRED AND ONE matches. Here's a list of TWENTY that I'd recommend (the ten with asterisks are those I'd really recommend):

GCW: Jimmy Lloyd's D-Generation F

Tre Lamar vs JJ Garrett

*Calvin Tankman vs Cole Radrick

SUP: Swing Of The Axe

*Daniel Makabe vs Lee Moriarty

Jake Something vs O'Shay Edwards

GCW: For The Culture

*JTG vs Trey Miguel

*Calvin Tankman vs O'Shay Edwards

*AJ Gray vs Dezmond Xavier

*Lee Moriarty vs ACH

Glory Pro: Are Ya Wrestling, Son?

ACH vs AJ Gray

GCW: Joey Janela's Spring Break 4

Rickey Shane Page vs Orange Cassidy

*Jonathan Gresham vs Lee Moriarty

*Tony Deppen vs Alex Shelley

Freelance: I Don't Think We're In Chicago Anymore

Isaias Velazquez vs Lee Moriarty

BLP: Threat Level Noon

Gaytanic Panic vs Stunt Doubles

Besties In The World vs Violence Is Forever

Jake Something vs Warhorse

GCW: Josh Barnett's Bloodsport 3

*Tom Lawlor vs Homicide

Women's Tournament Final

*Jon Moxley vs Chris Dickinson

PPW: Trapsoul

O'Shay Edwards vs Suge D

• Like 3

With me having IWTV I didn't feel a huge need to get the Collective bundle.  So what I'm doing instead is buying one show I care to see at a time starting with Spring Break.  After that it's likely gonna be the Bloodsport and For the Culture shows.  The rest I'll wait until they eventually end up on IWTV.  While that makes me sound like a cheap ass I want to make sure that I actually watch the shows I'm buying.  But at least when they get there I'll have the posts in this thread to reference.

That said I started with Spring Break.  The show's an obscenely-long 4 hours and 45 minutes so I only got to Shelley/Deppen.  But what I saw was incredibly fun.  Cassidy with that Road Warrior pop was something else and I was impressed with IronBeast who had a fun match with RascalZ.  Add to that a really awesome Moriarty/Gresham match and Shelley/Deppen being fun and it was a good time so far.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 4:15 PM, Linus said:

So I completed The Collective and watched all ONE HUNDRED AND ONE matches. Here's a list of TWENTY that I'd recommend (the ten with asterisks are those I'd really recommend):

*JTG vs Trey Miguel

*Lee Moriarty vs ACH

Agree with you on most of this although no love for 2 Cold Scorpio vs AR Fox?

Also the Gaytanic Panic vs Stunt Brothers match really depends on your opinion on comedy wrestling.   It has gotten a ton of twitter debate as you would expect.   It is clear from this weekend that Danhausen is the ultimate of "take it or leave it" 

On 10/12/2020 at 4:15 PM, Linus said:

GCW: Jimmy Lloyd's D-Generation F

Tre Lamar vs JJ Garrett

*Calvin Tankman vs Cole Radrick

SUP: Swing Of The Axe

*Daniel Makabe vs Lee Moriarty

Jake Something vs O'Shay Edwards

*JTG vs Trey Miguel

*Lee Moriarty vs ACH

Glory Pro: Are Ya Wrestling, Son?

ACH vs AJ Gray

GCW: Joey Janela's Spring Break 4

Rickey Shane Page vs Orange Cassidy

*Jonathan Gresham vs Lee Moriarty

*Tony Deppen vs Alex Shelley

Freelance: I Don't Think We're In Chicago Anymore

Isaias Velazquez vs Lee Moriarty

BLP: Threat Level Noon

Gaytanic Panic vs Stunt Doubles

Besties In The World vs Violence Is Forever

Jake Something vs Warhorse

GCW: Josh Barnett's Bloodsport 3

*Tom Lawlor vs Homicide

Women's Tournament Final

*Jon Moxley vs Chris Dickinson

PPW: Trapsoul

O'Shay Edwards vs Suge D

Not a bad list at all but no love for AIW?

52 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Not a bad list at all but no love for AIW?

I'm usually a fan but the second half of that show fell apart from the time the ref messed up the finish of the three-way, and turned into the most self-indulgent stuff I've seen on a Collective-type event since Kaiju in 2017.

And I liked AR Fox vs Scorpio but it wasn't even in the top two thirds of matches on its show, which says more about For The Culture than the match itself!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Linus said:

I'm usually a fan but the second half of that show fell apart from the time the ref messed up the finish of the three-way, and turned into the most self-indulgent stuff I've seen on a Collective-type event since Kaiju in 2017.

I'm a big AIW supporter (it's my local promotion) and I couldn't agree more. I had such high hopes for the main event, and it wasn't even a good match, let alone a good ending to a months-long feud.

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

apparently someone from the Collective tested positive, the person was in contact with many of the St. Louis Anarchy workers.  The Spirt of Spaulding tournament has been officially cancelled as well as obviously this weekends shows.

Makes me wonder who tested positive. 

There was no way that wasn't going to happen with an indoor gathering of that degree, regardless of the precautions taken. It was just too soon, I think. I truly hope this doesn't turn into some kind of super-spreader nightmare.

It was Dan the Dad that tested positive, he posted about it on Twitter.

And speaking of Twitter, apparently Logan Stunt sexually harassed a female gear-maker, she came forward about it after the event, and then Brian Pillman Jr got up in her DMs and asked her what she did to lead Logan on.

• Like 1

Ugh. I was going to say that Pillman too often shows his age and maturity, then realized that he’s *27*.

I saw some companies (SUP is the one I remember) indicate that they’ll no longer book Logan Stunt, so it’s nice to see that there are some repercussions for shitty behavior. Sometimes. Still not often enough...

With all that's come out the past couple months you would think that people would know to not try dumb shit like this.  And while she mentioned the rest of the family is fine I would watch out for how Marko comes across.  In the past he would do things like try and hit on the interviewers (which I get was part of his character at the time)  But while I don't recall him doing that recently they really need to make sure that doesn't happen again.

As for Pillman Jr. he's very frustrating to watch.  There's times where due to his dad and seeming like a smart enough person that I want to like him.  But then he says shit like Casey mentioned and I just wonder why he's still part of the roster.  Might be time to consider if he's worth cutting.  And with the roster as it is I can't say he'd be missed if they did cut him.

I really want to WANT Pillman Jr. to succeed as it would be a feel-good uplift to the overall story of his father, but man, every time I start to get into him, he'll say something incredibly eye-rolling on Twitter. He's not the stupidest wrestler on Twitter, but I would say he is a solid 7-out-of-10 on the "Is his Twitter as stupid as Flip Gordon's Twitter?" scale.

When I saw that reveal of him being the source of that super-gross after-the-fact DM, I 100% said to myself, "that checks out."

Also, what Logan Stunt did would have been gross and stupid no matter who he did it too, but to do it to a frigging GEAR-MAKER that likely has plenty of friends in the locker room is some 9-out-of-10 Flip Gordon (though admittedly, unless there's something I don't know about, Flip is an idiot but he's not a creep to women, so replace him with the wrestling sex pest of your choice for this analogy?).

On the topic of COVID and The Collective, I don't blame anyone in live entertainment for taking a booking, and trying to make a buck to keep paying the bills, but there's enough risk even with just a well-managed one-shot booking. A big three-day, 12-show weekend where dozens of wrestlers are coming in from different regions of the country, and a number of fans are traveling in from out of town, that's honestly just a recipe for disaster, and I genuinely hope that things play out to where this ends up remaining a "scare" instead of becoming a "tragedy".

But sadly, you also know that when WWE tries to do Wrestlemania in Tampa again at the stadium next year, at least half the guys that took the booking this past weekend will head to Florida anyway for The Collective 2021.

not wrestling related but we just had a new guy we hired at our office, every other day we switch from working from home and being in the office with small groups.  The new guys is always in office. Well Wednesday he starts sniffling and coughing, Apparently yesterday he was worse and had to be told to cover his mouth when he sneezes.  Well today it got so bad that a bunch of us texted our company owner and the guy was told to go home. What does the guy do, he sticks around goes up to co-workers asks questions, rubs the fax/printer hangs out for 45 mins and then leaves.

If you are sick stay the fuck home please and thank you.   If you are a wrestler you should test before and after each show. Promoters should make people test same day of show and provide the negative paperwork prior to allowing them on the show.  I have many friends who worked the Collective and other indy shows the same weekend and were told there was no testing nor were they asked to test.  Fucking blows my mind. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I have many friends who worked the Collective and other indy shows the same weekend and were told there was no testing nor were they asked to test.  Fucking blows my mind. 

With the way that they seemed to be handling things for the shows themselves I initially though they had this part taken care of.  Really sucks that that wasn't the case.  I'm still hoping there aren't too many more positive cases as the risk of a super-spreader event is higher than I initially thought.