DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

Done all the loyalty missions and the DLC, and now getting ready to get the Reaper IFF. My Paragon meter is pegged, so I'm taking some Renegade actions just for the fun of it.

Also, I'm quite sure that I died more times doing Project: Overlord than I have on the rest of the game combined thus far. I had forgotten that the Hammerhead makes the Mako feel like an absolute frickin' joy to maneuver.

Finally got 200 waves with the Quarian Marksman last night - leaving just SMG Medals and the Lancer Medals (and I still haven't gotten the fucking Lancer... grr....) as the things I need to do.

I also finally broke the Top 1000 in Challenge Points rank for the US (994 as of this moment).

I clearly play this game way too damn much.

My only remaining unclaimed medal for a weapons is the one for the Particle Rifle.  I will build up another Awakend Collector Adept to get that done.

I have gotten the 10 Extractions medal for the Volus Engineer and the Adept before, but I have never gotten the 200 Waves medal with those characters and I have never ever played a Volus Vanguard. 

The pain is too great.

what's funny is that on the weekends I will play either game but since I am too damn lazy to change games unless forced to - whatever is in my machine first tends to be the things I play all weekend.

Rippa-

Thanks for the help on the Quarian/Geth thing. Finally got it to work. Felt like King Shit for like, 3.5 minutes.

One more question: 

During the Mass Effect 3 play through, your military strength meter has two readings: Your military strength and your readiness meter. Is there any way to get it above 50% before the final battle and if you can, does it have any effect on said final battle? (i.e., not getting your ass kicked?)

You have to do multiplayer to get readiness above 50%. 

Don't think it has any impact on how easy/difficult the fight is, but strength and readiness combine to have some impact on some small aspects of the ending you get.  It used to be next to impossible to get some ending details without doing MP.  They've lowered the threshold now, so as long as your military strength is high it may not affect you at all.

I think you can get the decent endings by just capturing war assets now.  Even so, slugging through multiplayer isn't that bad. 

Leveling up and promoting your multiplayer characters builds up a war asset in campaign mode called the N7 Special Ops Team.  Basically, if you play enough multiplayer, you can engineer it so that you don't have to tediously pursue war assets or rely on GR% to get the best endings. 

The N7 Ops Team value will be so huge that your force strength will always be high enough for the endgame. 

Like Robert said, they lowered the level to 3000 for the "best" endings so that is more than enough to do all the single player stuff and safely be ahead in assets. My first playthrough was done before I started multiplayer and I was fine and that was with the higher level. So with the lower level it is a breeze (plus - the generally balanced out the assets so you didnt feel like you had to make a choice you didn't want to just to obtain a higher number of assets)

Your readiness will never drop below 50% but you need to play multiplayer (or that mobile app thing) to increase it.

The one advantage to having played MP is that all the guys I promoted over count as permanent assets now - so anytime I play, I already start the game with my assets maxed.

This game must rock balls deep...cause this ongoing thread has me confused yet enthused to buy the games.
Quick question, I stopped by the EVIL GAME STOP today and since the new systems have hit the world, old 360 and PS3 games have DROPPED amazingly in price(at least most of them. ***).
So I find MASS EFFECT 2 for a measely $2.97 odd cents. I couldn't find part ONE anywhere, and part three was less a penny less than nine bones at $8.99. So I ask the resident GAME STOP feller about the series and he agrees with all of you, that it rocks, he says each game is/plays differently to themselves. So I asked if I should buy part TWO and then THREE today and see what all the fuss is about. He's like "NO!!!"  For serious, loudly like it woulda been in ALL CAPS. He said I should get part one and play thru BUT PART ONE is HARD to find.

My question is, with the cheap price etc should I just buy 2&3 and move on?(Will the computer generate what my characters are like automatically-I heard that choices you make effect the storyline kinda like the TellTale game, but  maybe I'm wrong.

Any help would be nice folks...this game looks interesting to say the least...ROCCK BAND or GIUTAR HERO are gonna be on the new consoles according to IGN this week, I forgot which one but I'm almost positive it was ROCK BAND.

Gameplay wise, Mass Effect 1 sucks. But it's essential to play it for the story. Mass Effect 2 and 3 are the best pudding you'll ever have. And Mass Effect 1 is rancid meat. But you can't have any pudding until you eat your meat!

• Like 1

Everytime I get within 100 challenge points of catching up with Rippa, he suddenly jets two thousand challenge points ahead of me.

I hate him so much.

100 SMG Medals last night was the last medal I needed outside of the Lancer (which I still don't have... grr...)

Fuck Solo and Fuck Gold

But that is okay JT - every time I get within 30 N7 points of you, you promote all 6 of your guys and I am back down like 200

I have heard this and am trying not to get too excited. 

The new ME game is supposed to run on Frostbite 3 and I haven't been particularly impressed with the F3 gameplay footage from the DA: Inquisition trailers.

I appreciate you trying to act like you aren't going to freak the fuck out.

Of course - this is why I need to avoid DA3

Since actually playing the Frostbite engine will make me sad

Oh, I am not saying I won't lose my shit during the announcement.  It will just be mixed with rage if the F3 makes ME4 look like crap.

DA: Inquisition does not look gangsta.