DVDVR Message Board

To Follow Our Hysterical Attempts At Recovering the Old Board...

DEAN

.. look to this thread.  I figure this would be easier than pm-ing about this all the time.

The STORY SO FAR....

What worked:

- We have the sql file and it is 1.5 gigs of TEXT.

- Our million dollar server boys- who don't hate us nearly as much the old guys- keep re-importing it to MySQL ever time I fuck it hard and fuck it good- and then I have to delete it.

- You can see the table with all the the threads and the posts.  So they are there.

What didn't work:

- Tried to convert it to a Simple Machine board but just ended up creating new SMF board.  Deleted folder.  Went back to scouring the internet.

- Tried to install a beta version of IPB 3.4.5 but is overroad everything and created a brand new board.  Deleted folder.  Deleted suddenly sleek and lightweight database.  Will assume that I should back up database on MySQL before million dollar server boys OPT to start hating me like old server boys did.

On DECK!

- Today or tomorrow, depending on how soon they re-import the archive sql to MySQL and we have the database back, we attempt to merge it with THIS board: http://deathvalleydriver.com/mybbboard/index.php  and KNOW TOO, Young Prince, that the default skin is so hideous I thought my heart would explode with joy.  Check in now and then to see how hard we take it in the giblets.

Thank you and if you have any ideas, WHY THE FUCK HAVEN'T YOU SHARED THEM WITH ME?

DEAN, your friend...

• Like 3

and KNOW TOO, Young Prince, that the default skin is so hideous I thought my heart would explode with joy. 

It is beautiful. The fact that you need to highlight anything to read it makes it sort of like being Indiana Jones in a dark cave...like an adventure.

Can you put some animated spiders around?

BTW - this is also Dean's way of saying that if the board goes down over the next couple of days don't be all

OMG! THE BOARD IS DOWN AGAIN!!! I DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO READ FOR FIVE MINUTES!!! YOU GUYS SUCK!!!

• Like 2

On DECK!

- Today or tomorrow, depending on how soon they re-import the archive sql to MySQL and we have the database back, we attempt to merge it with THIS board: http://deathvalleydriver.com/mybbboard/index.php  and KNOW TOO, Young Prince, that the default skin is so hideous I thought my heart would explode with joy.  Check in now and then to see how hard we take it in the giblets.

So, check the Twitter account when the board goes down inexplicably over the next couple of days?

I think it's worth it for the 80s section. That's sort of a historical archive that's spanned years. There are other sections on the board with a lot of good information, though some of it is hard to find. Things like the Dustin of the Days or some of the cartoon workrate archives would be shitty to lose forever for instance. I'm not doing the work though.

Here's my suggestion: just don't fucking do it.

Seriously, is the benefit really worth all this hassle?

I'm kinda inclined to agree with this.

Just in case anyone cares.

I can see your arguments and the other side wanting to see certain things again. For me those are the movie countdown projects, the videogame countdown projects, the I'm Batman thread and the comic book cartoons topic.

I'm fine either way, it's just good to have the board back!

There are a few things we didn't want to lose and it is WAY more work to pick through just for specific posts so it is easier to just upload into an archive board.

It would be easier if Dean and I actually knew what we were doing.

Do you get no joy out of hunting down someone's old post and pointing out what a huge hypocrite that person is?

There are a few things we didn't want to lose and it is WAY more work to pick through just for specific posts so it is easier to just upload into an archive board.

It would be easier if Dean and I actually knew what we were doing.

FSW for retroactive mod of the archive board.

• Like 1

Do you get no joy out of hunting down someone's old post and pointing out what a huge hypocrite that person is?

Posted Image

Since I watched Game of Thrones with a several month delay to everyone else, I always enjoyed going back to the thread to read what everyone had to say about the episode I just watched. I even enjoyed all of FSW's bitching about the book readers.

Since the board went down, when I just started watching season 3, I never found out the board's reaction to season 3 episode 9.

That is freaking genius.  I second this and put my full weight of donation behind it. :)

Keep in mind that you post with your real name, a rather uncommon name, and you would be giving FSW the ability to go back and edit your posts. 

That is freaking genius.  I second this and put my full weight of donation behind it. :)

Keep in mind that you post with your real name, a rather uncommon name, and you would be giving FSW the ability to go back and edit your posts. 

I am related to 3 other Mike Zeidlers, and am friends with at least 5 more on Facebook/twitter.  Which one is posting?!?!?

I am related to 3 other Mike Zeidlers, and am friends with at least 5 more on Facebook/twitter.  Which one is posting?!?!?

If only we had some archive full of things you've said to scour through and try to determine that...

The one who it turns out made some terroristic threats on an old wrestling message board?

The one who it turns out made some terroristic threats on an old wrestling message board?

Posted Image

Tried to merge the old board into the mybb board.  Merge thingy was only up to ipb version 2.3 so the extra table in 2.3- that 3.0 got rid of it appears- breaks the whole thing.  They have beta of the ipb 3.0 merger but I can't figure out how to get it run.  So I am walking away from this plan for the moment until someone hips me on how to run it.

I will now scour the internet for another METHOD~!