DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] FINALS: SASHA BANKS vs. BAYLEY

RIPPA

[MM16] FINALS: SASHA BANKS vs. BAYLEY  

142 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE THE WINNER OF MARCH MADNESS 2016

This poll is closed to new votes

I feel like both had comparable weak points in their years and both had really great highs. Bayley got great matches out of bad/green wrestlers while Sasha had a MOTYC with Becky and some really good main roster stuff (vs. Becky on the Rumble preshow and the tag at Fast Lane as recent examples)

Both their best matches were with each other. And while the story of Bayley overcoming really drove those matches, I feel like the work Sasha did...working the hand, using all cheap victories in the Ironman, making Izzy cry...I feel like that drove the story more strongly. Pretty much all my favourite moments from those matches are either matters of equal balance or Sasha stuff so I have to give her the nod.

I can't fault anyone going the other way though. It's super close.

Nia Jax kinda sucks and losing to Bayley like that didn't hurt her aura because whatever aura she had was wavering anyway.

Though I guess that a counter to my own argument is that everyone got real excited in the crowd for the Nia/Asuka face-off before the match. 

1 minute ago, BL88 said:

"she's not the best so we should kill her really good looking leg-drop finish"

nah tho

I lost you at "really good looking" man. Sorry. 

I think it's interesting story of what you value between these 2. I loved their 2 matches with each other, specifically their first one. Sasha probably have the 2 best matches outside of that series with the obvious Lynch/Banks classic and the match with Naomi. But Bayley had a tougher job then Sasha did in my opinion, and did a damn great job with people were not capable of putting on matches like Sasha's best opponents could. And she still got a lot of really good matches out of people. It's the old "When your opponents best match, by far, is with you, it's a great sign of you as a worker" case for Bayley.

36 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Both their best matches were with each other. And while the story of Bayley overcoming really drove those matches, I feel like the work Sasha did...working the hand, using all cheap victories in the Ironman, making Izzy cry...I feel like that drove the story more strongly. Pretty much all my favourite moments from those matches are either matters of equal balance or Sasha stuff so I have to give her the nod.

Very valid point, but no matter how good of a heel Sasha was if the face isn't believable and people see through the act then all that heeling is for nothing.  It takes two to tango, and while Sasha brought the heeling it was Bayley's reactions and emotion throughout that sealed it.  The way she fired up when she counted mattered, and people cared when this normally sweet woman got pissed off and fought back.  Look at Flair/Steamboat for example.  Ric had many a great match against all kinds of opponents.  With a boring face it doesn't matter as much.  But with Ricky he fired up when it counted and it made for excellent matches.  I know it sounds ridiculous to compare Bayley/Sasha to something like Flair/Steamboat, but based solely on how to be a heel/face they both had it down pat.

So to say it was mainly Sasha driving the story home, sorry, not fully buying that.

32 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

I voted for Sasha but now I really think I should have voted for Bayley.  She's been the face of NXT for 8 months now and will be until she leaves. 

Sorry, forget everything I said here.  Obviously it was a moment of weakness that will never happen again.

VyhBiCx.png

Don't try and tell me this is a fake account either.  DAMMIT!

I am pleased that my vote tied up the score at 39 all. As I saw the result, it was no NXT announcer coming to mind about an Iron Man match, but rather I heard a voice form years gone by, Rod Trongard's perhaps, that said, "Are you ready to go 60?"

Since a lot of the talk so far is about surviving the initial main roster push vs. thriving at NXT and how that's a tough comparison, it should mean something that even after months of shitty booking and distractions and wasting away waiting for the stupid "Fuck Punk" Bella record to finally...fucking...end..., when Sasha strolled out at the Rumble the reaction was basically "THIS IS THAT THING THAT HAPPENS IN WRESTLING THAT MKES IT STILL WRITH WATHING AFTER BEING ALIVE FOR OVER 40 YEARS!!!!!  THIS IS WHY!!!!!"

Of course, they fucked that up too.  But Sasha gets credit to me for being able to absorb all that lame waiting around treading water and then instantly light that fire all over again.

And it wasn't just because of what she did that night or that it was a little swervey thing...it's because you knew in that moment what she could do with that angle if they would just back off and let it play out really simply and let her just roll.