DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 2/18/16

victor

Eddie is NOT a nice guy!  BOO THAT MAN! 

Ambrose comes across as a PG version of Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer.  There's a compliment in that, I promise. 

I don't dislike the guy so much, but that meth-fiend, ringworm-stricken hobo begging for quarters with some Memento-repetitive schtick wrestling style needs work.  Then again, I'd miss Piranesi's Choose Your Adventure storytelling which is based on all this.

Ambrose has been on fire since before the Rumble. Actually, he's been great since his feud with Owens. In ring, he can go from lazy to good, but he's one of the best promo guys they have, his character is unique and stands out, and he feels genuine in how he's looking for a fight.

Fowler, the reasons for why he's over are right there in front of you, but you choose to dislike him. It's not exactly that puzzling for why he's popular.

• Like 1

Actual Smackdown Thoughts:

-I miss Mauro

-Opening tag was quite fun in an ADD type way. A fan had a "Kevin Owens Is FAT" sign. Kevin Dunn must have been so proud.

-I hope Becky gets turned on again which finally opens the door for Bayley to come in and give her a much needed hug.

-Miz continues to make his late push for March Madness. I felt like he and Jericho were going off script a bit because Miz making an "inland empire" crack almost broke Jericho. The match was quite good as Jericho looks to have worked himself back into ring shape. Post-match stuff was well done because by the end of it, the crowd was going banana for AJ.

-Dean's backstage segment was one of the worst I've ever seen

-Dudleyz need new gear to go with their heel turn. D-Von wearing his Wazzzzup shirt doesn't cut it.

-The Brock/Reigns/Ambrose stuff was not doing it for me. They all came off looking weak in some way.

Overall it was a decent show but not at the level of some of the recent ones.

People want Ambrose-HHH because it's not Reigns-HHH, not because it makes sense from a storyline perspective.

Definitely not seeing the argument that Ambrose's promos have been deteriorating, Fowler, if you'd care to expand at all.

There's nothing to them. It's hollow "fake crazy" stuff that screams bad acting. He used to cut prompts that had a hint of being unhinged to them that felt like maybe he really was that guy. Now he's play acting as this over the top crazy guy.

Unless Reigns is around, then he drops that whole character and becomes Roman's fraternity brother.

He's nowhere near the worst promo guy in the company, but he's not particularly good, either. And he used to be.

I'm surprised Owens didn't throw his back out carrying that entire program.

I think they're put Owens and Ambrose together, I don't see Ambrose at the top and neither does Vince. Meltzer has been saying for the longest time, Reigns needs a manager someone to talk for him, because he cannot. And who knows what will happen if some of the injured manage to return, Orton, Cena, Rollins.

They screwed up during the post-Shield breakup period when they made Ambrose goofy.  Jumping out of gift boxes, squirting condiments on guys, grabbing Rollins' wee-wee with a pair of tongs, the hologram, JOBBING TO A TV SET.  It didn't help that he bought into some of it and started with the wacky facial expressions.  It was less menacing and more Cousin Dean forgot his meds.  He's better these days, but there have been some questionable moments.

• Like 1

The thing is, once more, he never really wrestles as his character, which bugs the shit out of me. He's a "Wild Guy who you never know what he's gonna do" except he does the same fucking thing every god damned match.

He wrestles as his character as much as he can. The whole doing the same moves every match is a company policy at this point. There was the whole "don't do a move if you aren't going to do it every match" B.S I heard a while back. Ambrose started that style as soon as he turned face. His work was far more varied and interesting as a heel. Also he can't deliver the type of violence his character should do to the PG era. Roman as a baby face is Cena part 2 only instead of 50/50 boos and cheers it's 50/50 boos and apathy.

I agree Ambrose got too goofy, but I can't believe that was his call. He had the perfect character when he cut that don't take food of my plate promo in ring on Cena.

I kinda find myself in the middle on Dean Ambrose. I don't think he's a viable long-term ace in his current form, but he desperately needs a moment before he becomes as non-viable as Ziggler. What if Dean beat HHH at WM, Roman turned the next night, then demolished Ambrose at Extreme Rules? Dean gets something to hang his hat on and can stay afloat for another year or two, and they finally get Roman at the top in a situation that takes the pressure off him somewhat. This would probably play better at a non-WM ppv, but with the roster in the shape it's in, it wouldn't be the worst play.