DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 4

RIPPA

Yeah right now i have at least three settlements with 21 people although how much I can count one of them is questionable as it had a legendary vendor who disappeared (The Scribe). I really wish they would fix that damn glitch, especially before Wasteland Workshop releases next month.

I've read that you can have up to like 30 people without mods by using the right combination of armor, charisma stats and chems. I have a couple of settlements with 23 folks. Mostly use the excess people to set up supply chains.

So it really does count temporary boosts to Charisma? How does that work? Do people start wandering off when your Charisma drops? Or does it only check at certain times? I've gotten my nerd character's base Charisma up to 8, and still haven't seen any increases, so I'm wondering if I need to do something to get it to register the higher value.

On an unrelated question, does anybody know where to find deathclaw eggs? One of my other characters has a recipe she wants to try.

I've read differing things on how to attract more people. I've heard that if you boost your charisma using chems, clothes, SPECIAL and spend time in that settlement, more people will eventually come (provided you've built a beacon). I've also heard that over producing food/water will attract people as well.

In theory, I think the max you're supposed to have is 20 b/c from what I've read the number of settlers is your charisma plus 10. So if you have 5 charisma, the most people you can randomly attract to a place is 15. You can boost that up by taking chems and wearing armor in another settlement and moving those people to the maxed out settlement. For instance, if you have 15 people in Sanctuary and want 20 but only have 5 charisma. You can go to another settlement that has people, put on charisma boosting clothes and take charisma boosting chems, move the settlers from the second settlement to Sanctuary.

As far as I know people don't wander off when your charisma boosts wear off. I think (emphasis on think) they will leave if you send them to a place without adequate resources and don't fix it. So if you have 15 settlers at a place with 13 beds and don't make 2 more beds, the other 2 people might leave. Settlers can get kidnapped but they still show up in your count of settlers.

The most satisfying thing in this entire game sure is the notification that "Piper Likes That" that pops up in the top left corner of the screen.

Damn you, Mayor for making me send her away before you would talk to me.  

God, leveling up in this game is painfully slow.

I played 5 hours over the last couple days and have only gone from level 9 to level 12.  It probably doesn't help that I keep dying ALL THE FUCKING TIME.  I love my shotgun, but it's impossible to get enough ammo for the thing where I won't run in the middle of every group of Raiders I come across.  

Taking a break from the Main Quest stuff for a bit, because everything having to do with it is kicking my underpowered ass right now.  Decided to head to the Museum of Witchcraft basically because it's all the way across the map and I figured i'd run into enough stuff for lots of XP along the way.

I played 5 hours over the last couple days and have only gone from level 9 to level 12.  It probably doesn't help that I keep dying ALL THE FUCKING TIME.  I love my shotgun, but it's impossible to get enough ammo for the thing where I won't run in the middle of every group of Raiders I come across.  

Taking a break from the Main Quest stuff for a bit, because everything having to do with it is kicking my underpowered ass right now.  Decided to head to the Museum of Witchcraft basically because it's all the way across the map and I figured i'd run into enough stuff for lots of XP along the way.

What kind of build are you going for?  Some builds are going to be very slow going early on.

At close range, you might want to invest in some melee perks as well.

For a guy trying to stay alive going to the Museum of Witchcraft doesn't seem like the best move. For gaining levels you really should pick up Idiot Savant along with increasing your intelligence.

It's more for the journey than anything else.  I'm fully prepared to run like a coward once I actually get there.

What kind of build are you going for?  Some builds are going to be very slow going early on.

At close range, you might want to invest in some melee perks as well.

My issue is probably that i don't really have a focused build going on.  I went with a reddit recommendation of a well rounded build to start and have kind of just been throwing perks at things that seem useful ever since.

I really probably need to start a new character with more research and a more focused idea of how I want to play (This is my first significant time spent playing a Fallout game so it's all been kind of a learning curve) but losing out on those 15 hours makes me want to cry.

I played 5 hours over the last couple days and have only gone from level 9 to level 12.

I had the opposite experience. I felt like I became a one man death god way too quickly. I had my intelligence up pretty high b/c I wanted those perks so I leveled up really fast. I also did a lot with settlements before I tackled most of the main quest and you can earn a lot of cheap XP that way.

I was getting ready to say the same thing - how much time have you spent fooling around with your settlements?

Settlements do bring cheap XP, and they also bring money, which buys better weaponry and armor and more ammo.

Oh yeah - I've had this same experience playing every Bethesda game - I die and die and die and die and die until one day I quit dying and become a killing machine. I think it's a combo of level and weaponry/armor. So just wait for it, and you'll soon be saying "I can't believe I used to die at this all the time."

Keep in mind that the game scales enemies up to your level, as well.  Sometimes it'll pay to go through a hard section early.

And I was the same way with enemies; I used to run like hell from the Super Mutant Suiciders until I realized you can shoot them in the "ball" arm and detonate the nuke ahead of time.

I dabbled with settlements a little bit but have mostly left them alone outside of Sanctuary.

Definitely going to be starting a new build next time I play.  Watching a "Shotgun Surgeon" build playthrough and seeing that I could have my shotgun doing an insane amount more damage than I do now at the level at I'm at and realizing I've pretty much wasted perks just throwing them around.

And I was the same way with enemies; I used to run like hell from the Super Mutant Suiciders until I realized you can shoot them in the "ball" arm and detonate the nuke ahead of time.

But then you don't get the sweet, sweet mini nuke..

• Like 1

But then you don't get the sweet, sweet mini nuke..

Its weird I rarely ever use the fatman, but I try so damn hard to kill Suiciders via headhsots because I want their mini nukes.

As soon as I see a Deathclaw, I Fatman first and ask questions later. That's why I'm out of mini-nukes and have to settle for the vastly inferior RPGs.

I think it's a visceral reaction from when Deathclaws used to kick my ass in New Vegas. "Who's the man now?!"