DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - JULY

Dolfan in NYC

Well it's goofy fun when on one hand you have teams like the Yankees, Cardinals, and Giants, where there's legit debate and great players who have to be left off, and on the other hand you have to put Ben Zobrist in because the Rays have nobody else (and the 4 "Nationals" are all still Expos which continues to be hilarious).

Also Nolan Ryan making it 3 times because he played forever and for everybody.

Maz making it over Bonds for the Pirates is ridiculous. Goes to show you hit one of the most replayed homers in baseball history and you'll be remembered much more fondly (and even get into the HOF!) than an asshole who was the best player of his generation.

Joe Carter made it for 1 home run too.  Though it's a bit more forgivable in the case of Toronto (who also had Carlos Delgado for some reason.  Was expecting Dave Stieb).  At least Pittsburgh has the aforementioned excuse of already having most spots locked up by ancient saints of the game from 50+ years ago.

Of course it was fanbase voting so dumb, perspective-lacking decisions are to be expected.  [edit:  Also very apropos for the All-Star game]

Joe Carter made it for 1 home run too.  Though it's a bit more forgivable in the case of Toronto (who also had Carlos Delgado for some reason.  Was expecting Dave Stieb).  At least Pittsburgh has the aforementioned excuse of already having most spots locked up by ancient saints of the game from 50+ years ago.

Of course it was fanbase voting so dumb, perspective-lacking decisions are to be expected.  [edit:  Also very apropos for the All-Star game]

Why wouldn't Delgado make it? Best power hitter in franchise history by a solid margin

Why wouldn't Delgado make it? Best power hitter in franchise history by a solid margin

Not part of the world series teams (which I figured would carry disproportionate weight in a fan vote) and/or Dave Steib (best pitcher in franchise history?) deserves it as much if not more and was left off.

EDIT:  Delgado's not a bad choice or anything, contrary to what I might be implying.

Pretty awesome that all the Nationals Franchise 4 were Expos. Zimmerman's been good, but you can't put him over Dawson, Vladi, Carter or Raines. A few more seasons and Harper will have to squeeze on there soon.

Hopefully this just adds to the push to get Rock in the Hall.

Well it's goofy fun when on one hand you have teams like the Yankees, Cardinals, and Giants, where there's legit debate and great players who have to be left off, and on the other hand you have to put Ben Zobrist in because the Rays have nobody else (and the 4 "Nationals" are all still Expos which continues to be hilarious).

I don't think Zobrist making it was that strange. Best overall player on that team for several years. League leader in WAR once, second another time. Basically Mr. Everything for them for a 6 year period.

I know what you mean that they had nobody else, since they were trash for their first 10 years or so, but even so Zobrist is a fine selection.

Also pretty awesome that we're making way more posts about the franchise four than the actual game, with all its countingness and shit. ;)

I'm just starting to watch, so its all I got to talk about.

Rollie Fingers? Really Brewers fans? Yeah he won the Cy/MVP for some weird reason that one year, but is he really one of your best ever? Whither Prince Fielder?

And Christy Mathewson not making the Giants list is some straight up bullshit. Get out of here Buster Posey.

I don't think Zobrist making it was that strange. Best overall player on that team for several years. League leader in WAR once, second another time. Basically Mr. Everything for them for a 6 year period.

I know what you mean that they had nobody else, since they were trash for their first 10 years or so, but even so Zobrist is a fine selection.

I mean its only goofy in relation to the Yankees, whose list is 60 years removed from the last chance to ever change it and so guys like Jeter can't even be considered for a second.  Given the limitation of Tampa's history their four were perfect.

I also would've bumped Posey for any Giants pitching great (given it's all-star game season, Hubbel would've been a fun and worthy choice).

Mays, McCovey, and Bonds were requirements

i'm kinda surprised that Saberhagen made it for KC since you'd think there'd be enough "15 years ago" voters to carry a Mike Sweeney or Jeff Montgomery though the voting.

also, not sure which non-teammate pitcher/catcher duo had the hardest time tonight. Wade Davis/Russell Martin probably didn't totally gel but Davis rolled anyways.

Aroldis Chapman had "holy shit" stuff tonight but he didn't get to pitch in a bigger situation. Somehow batting Prince Fielder v. Kershaw paid off.

LOL. Buster Posey made the Giants top 4? Over Christy Mathewson? And Bill Terry? And Mel Ott? LOL. I think I'd take the guy who hit 511 homers over the guy who's never hit 25 in a season, one-time MVP or not. But, for the love of God, Christy for sure belongs in there.

• Like 2

I found the White Sox list to be strangely sad. Baines and Konerko were fine players, but as your all-time top 4?

Yeah, no kidding. Fine players, as you said, but their inclusion indicates a dearth of greatness in the 115-year White Sox history.

Maz making it over Bonds for the Pirates is ridiculous. Goes to show you hit one of the most replayed homers in baseball history and you'll be remembered much more fondly (and even get into the HOF!) than an asshole who was the best player of his generation.

Pie Traynor, Paul Waner or Ralph Kiner should have gone in over Maz or Bonds.

Bonds didn't play long enough in Pittsburgh to be one of the franchises top 4 and his bat was no existent in the playoffs.

LOL. Buster Posey made the Giants top 4? Over Christy Mathewson? And Bill Terry? And Mel Ott? LOL. I think I'd take the guy who hit 511 homers over the guy who's never hit 25 in a season, one-time MVP or not. But, for the love of God, Christy for sure belongs in there.

And even just limiting it to "San Francisco" Giants (which would be likely, albeit unfair, given it's a modern fan base poll) Juan Marichal would be a better choice. 

But the narrative of recent history is already being contorted into a Jeteresque "Buster Posey = Winning Multiple World Series" and San Francisco Giants fans had to wait a couple generations for that to finally start happening, so...

Pie Traynor, Paul Waner or Ralph Kiner should have gone in over Maz or Bonds.

Bonds didn't play long enough in Pittsburgh to be one of the franchises top 4 and his bat was no existent in the playoffs.

I had this discussion with someone on another sports board awhile back - Bonds vs Kiner. The implication was that Bonds was a no-brainer pick over Kiner. That conclusion is simply wrong. Limiting ourselves to their times in Pittsburgh, Kiner was better. A LOT better. Kiner played in Pittsburgh for seven years (and part of an 8th) and was a superstar for all of them, leading the NL in homers all seven seasons, six of which where he was the major league leader. Led in OPS+ 3 times. Bonds was also in Pittsburgh for seven years. During that time, he was a superstar for three years and was pretty average most of the other four. Yeah, Barry was faster and better defensively but I'll take seven years of greatness over three any day.

Joe Carter made it for 1 home run too.  

To be fair, that was kind of an important home run. 

I'm also good with the Marlins 4 (Sheff, Conine, Lowell, Stanton)