DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Not surprised.  Even with a bruised rib, didn't seem like he'd be able to continue training and cut weight so close to the fight.

So sick of this injury bullshit.  We just lost the biggest fight of the year.  How can UFC ever book a fight in Cowboys stadium if the main eventers are just going to get hurt and pull out a week before?  

I am still fine with strict regulations on training camp now.  Don't care if it leads to softer performances.  This is inane.

So sick of this injury bullshit.  We just lost the biggest fight of the year.  How can UFC ever book a fight in Cowboys stadium if the main eventers are just going to get hurt and pull out a week before? 

You can start by not booking the guy who has pulled out of five title fights.

He's the champion though, you still have to book him in title fights.  Call it a self-fulfilling prophecy, but deep down, I knew this was going to happen.  

And yeah, a part of me believes Aldo wanted to avoid more rigorous drug testing.  Seemed to work out well for him the last time he was injured.  His title fight got moved from California to Brazil.

He's the champion though, you still have to book him in title fights.  Call it a self-fulfilling prophecy, but deep down, I knew this was going to happen.  

And yeah, a part of me believes Aldo wanted to avoid more rigorous drug testing.  Seemed to work out well for him the last time he was injured.  His title fight got moved from California to Brazil.

Well after today, it won't matter because it's not primarily based on the commission's effort. The new program goes into effect tomorrow.

And yeah, you have to book him in title fights. However, that doesn't mean you have to put him on the biggest shows. A title fight that will potentially have a gate more than a couple million dollars like 189 where it's up to $7m? Only if it is the co-main and your only option when the real main falls through.

The problem is, there is a big title fight with Lawler/MacDonald, which the UFC and the fighters basically haven't promoted at all and spent all the efforts on Aldo/McGregor.  That's six months of buildup and money and expenses down the fucking drain.  When a co-main event that maybe could have picked up the slack hasn't really been promoted at all.  

Anyway, a personal fuck you to Alcides Nunes.  Go fuck yourself.  

The problem is, there is a big title fight with Lawler/MacDonald, which the UFC and the fighters basically haven't promoted at all and spent all the efforts on Aldo/McGregor.  That's six months of buildup and money and expenses down the fucking drain.  When a co-main event that maybe could have picked up the slack hasn't really been promoted at all.  

Lawler/MacDonald not being promoted is mostly on them. They sent them on the media tour. Nothing to write about. I believe Rory and Robbie had open media days about few weeks ago. Rory's one at Tristar was not well-received at all from what I've heard. So yeah, if I had ten million to spend, most if not all would go to the guy or guys who actually can promote their fights.

Lawler/MacDonald not being promoted is mostly on them. They sent them on the media tour. Nothing to write about. I believe Rory and Robbie had open media days about few weeks ago. Rory's one at Tristar was not well-received at all from what I've heard. So yeah, if I had ten million to spend, most if not all would go to the guy or guys who actually can promote their fights.

Yes, it's mostly on them.  They should've done more to promote that fight as a bigger co-main event because as you've pointed out, Aldo pulls out of a lot of title fights and there was a good chance this would happen.

I don't know if this has been brought up before so I apologize if this is well worn territory but... not just delaying the fight is crazy, right?  It's a rib injury, it is likely the top pushed fight of the year and could seemingly be run with ease in September if not August.  Instead you rush the hot prospect who might not be better than pretty good into a rush-build against a guy who is both stylistically completely different and a bad style match for him... and if Mendes wins you have to run Aldo/Mendes 3 even though Aldo is up 2-0 on him (I think it'd be a good fight, but a tough sell).  You even already have a title fight on the card that can stand in as a main event.

I get that Aldo getting injured is more than just inconvenient but this seems very much like a fight you would try to preserve.

They would delay it, but a big part of that $7 million gate is the Irish contingent. Conor had to fight on 7/11. It was just a matter of whom really. If you take him off, you're giving massive refunds. Right now, it would probably be the Brazilians doing that. However, they usually show up regardless if it's a big Vegas show like 189. So they will probably stick around and support Thomas Almeida. They may also make Chad Mendes an honorary Brazilian at the weigh-ins.

Found out here about the change. Shame Aldo's out, I was looking forward to the fight with the build to it. Wasn't McGregor vs. Edgar an alternative to McGregor vs. Mendes? Rather see Edgar get the nod as I'm a fan of his and to see whether he'd become only the third fighter in UFC history to win a UFC Championship in two weight classes.

C'mon Ruthless!

Well, Rory is creepy as hell too. I never worry about Lance going up into a bell tower with a sniper rifle. I can't wait until Rory wins the title and decides that fighting isn't for him and he's going to live in the Alaskan wilderness to live off the land. GSP can go out to visit him and the two can go UFO watching. It will be great.

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN 1m

Sounds like Martin Kampmann is a 50/50 chance to be in Chad Mendes' corner at UFC 189. He and wife expecting birth of third child next week.

If I'm fighting for a title belt, I would like my head coach to show up.

Given Aldo's history and the fact that he's not a draw, why don't they just cut him and move on with the division? It's a business decision and his loss would not be detrimental to the company.

I think the good still pretty much outweighs the bad (if you want to call it that). He still is the best featherweight in the world and has been for the better part of five or six years. For a company that has spent a massive amount of time and money trying to get all the best guys, I doubt they would go in the other direction suddenly and start letting the best fighters go. I don't know whether it plays as much into legitimacy because you have guys that left or were let go. However, they were probably among the best and NOT the best at that time. It hasn't been their MO since early in the Zuffa run when Bustamante and Pulver left. Barnett wanted a million bucks, and they let him go. Penn wanted money, and he was gone. All this was ten or more years ago. They waged war and wouldn't let Couture go.

It goes back to what I was discussing with Kos and Phil Davis in the Athlete Marketing Program thread. You can let Phil Davis and Koscheck go because they're not an integral part of your overall business plan anymore. However, when you're still touting that the UFC is where all the best fighters are, keeping Jose Aldo is a big part of that until he loses and no longer holds any substantial value. If everything was dependent upon on who is and who isn't a draw, there would be 20 people on the roster.

Just don't put Aldo in the main event where he can fuck up those shows. He is not a draw anyway. The next Fox show has a Bantamtitlefight because it isn't a ppv draw. Not every titlefight has to be a ppv main event or even co-mainer.