DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

Wow, that ending. Legitimately said "Oh my god!". I didn't see that one coming.

And ding ding on the road spike. I'm only interested in the Mike storyline to see if this is what causes Hector to be in the state he's in when we first meet him in Breaking Bad.

My two favorite characters in current TV history have to be Mike Ehrmantraut,

for being such a bad motherfucker trying to work his way through the horror of the existence he's built up for himself in an honest way. And also him buying the bar a round though it is clearly flirting with danger, and flirting with the waitress, at his age with his looks and getting a flat out success on his attempt makes me love him even more.

and Kim Wexler

for loving Jimmy so much she stood by him in multiple ways, though she knows he's a piece of shit and will let her down, and it'll probably ruin herself as well, just out of a sense of honest love and caring for what he could be as a person though she knows he's not that person at all, just a glimmer of what he could be.

The rocky characters are always the best. But Jimmy will piss all of us off, I'm sure. 

EDIT: And yeah that was a holy shit moment at the end there

Episode 9s are usually the best episode of the seasons in the Gilligan universe, and this was no exception.  Everybody appears to be getting exactly what they want at the midway point for a perceived happy ending, and it's about to come crashing down on them all.

Kim's speech was mesmerizing.  A highlight of the entire series. 

12 hours ago, EVA said:

I will be shocked if Rhea Seehorn isn't nominated for an Emmy this year.

They should charge her with first degree murder because she is straight up slaughtering these scenes. Vince and Peter Gould are setting us up by making Kim the most likeable character on the show.

When Chuck goes into the bit about the Magna Carta, my heart is saying "Kim, please stand by Jimmy" but my brain is shouting, "NO KIM! DO THE RIGHT THING...SAVE YOUR CAREER!"

Seriously, this was the most bittersweet moment I had watching Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. It was alright when they were pulling short cons on unsuspecting marks at restaurants and hotels. "Nailed" was her Skyler White moment. Now, she can't ever return.

• Like 1

Wow, what an episode.  First, you think it's so heartbreaking that Kim is defending Jimmy and being played for a fool, then there's the total reversal in that she absolutely knew Chuck was right.  That's some great shit right there. 

I read a feature story on Vince Gilligan a while back and one point he made was how his Southern Catholic upbringing and the ideas of "biblical atonement" and "justice" inform his storytelling.  Nobody "breaks bad" and gets away without damage to their soul.  And it doesn't just hurt the wrongdoer; there's collateral damage as well.  We see it twice in this episode alone.  Jimmy pulls off a con job to get Mesa Verde back and Chuck ends up paying the price for it (so Jimmy does, too).  Mike robs the Salamancas in an attempt to get back at them and an innocent bystander dies in the process.  Look at Mike's face at the end and you can see it sinking in.

The overarching theme of both Breaking Bad and BCS is that you can't stray from good without doing irreparable damage and losing part of yourself.  You'll live the high life for a while, but you'll eventually end up in a Cinnebon in Omaha.

• Like 4

On 4/12/2016 at 10:46 AM, EVA said:

I will be shocked if Rhea Seehorn isn't nominated for an Emmy this year.

I pretty much said the same thing on Twitter and...

Rhea Seehorn liked your Tweet
3h: 
This last episode of Better Call Saul was probably the best in the shows run. They better give @rheaseehorn an Emmy!
  1. Rhea Seehorn

I guess I should ask her to marry me now.

• Like 4

I've realized that this is the breaking bad story from a different angle.  

The first season they are opposed by Tuco. The second season they deal with the ramifications of Tuco as more Salamancas arrive.  The main character is developing an alter ego, but has not totally owned it yet.  Season 2 ends in tragedy. Which show am I talking about?

By my calculations, Gus Fring should be around for season 3 and the show ends in season 5.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Not that it would be a huge shock for the season finale, but someone figured out that the first letter of each episode title this season can be anagrammed into...

Reveal hidden contents

Fring's back

That's awesome.  Like BB season 2's titles contained "737 Down Over ABQ."

In retrospect the sleight of hand with Chuck after the intensity of the open was pretty weak but we'll see what happens next. I feel like some big hammers are gonna drop next season that we really wanted to fall this season. And of course, there's the note...

Yeah Jrag might have predicted everything.

The shot of Kim staring up at the commercial like she was a parishioner at a tent revival then the commercial cutting immediately to the Weasel was pretty ham-handed of an analogy but funny as all get out. 

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

In retrospect the sleight of hand with Chuck after the intensity of the open was pretty weak but we'll see what happens next. I feel like some big hammers are gonna drop next season that we really wanted to fall this season. And of course, there's the note...

The show should have ended with the note.  The cut to black there would have been much more of an adrenaline rush than the Jimmy and Chuck development that was almost surprisingly predictable. 

Glad other people agree with me on this. I just don't care for the Jimmy/Chuck stuff. I mean, "responsible brother resents that parents seem to like ne'er-do-well brother more"? Jesus was telling that story 2,000 years ago. I get the psychology of it and all where they're tryna contrast that Jimmy is outwardly a fuck-up but a good person inside, while Chuck is outwardly a straight shooter but really a bitter miserable fuck inside, I just don't care about it. And I feel like they've painted themselves into a corner with Jimmy getting established as James McGill in Albuquerque. Like, I don't know how they have him re-establish himself as Saul in a believable way. 

Also, I completely agree with sydney brown, they should've ended with Mike getting the note from you-know-who.

Hopes for next season:

• Get the Chuck shit over with and write him out.
  • Continue to have Kim shine.
  • Mike's path to being Gus Fring's consigliere
  • More Cinnabon Gene than just the open of the season (didn't they say we'd get that this year?)
  • James McGill should be going by the name "Saul Goodman" by the season finale

Really not down for a court case involving Chuck v Jimmy if that's the route they're going. It'll be better if Chuck uses the tape as blackmail of some sort, thus compromising his integrity. Maybe he holds it over Jimmy's head and Jimmy has to finally compromise himself in a really awful way to get rid of it...

Ah, fantasy booking

I liked the finale, but they should have ended with the note.  

When did Skylar and Walt start falling out? Season 3?

I do expect the Jimmy to Saul story gets ramped up big time in season 3. Season 2 of BB is all about Walt, Jesse and Jane personal stuff and then Walt's world expands big time in season 3.

24 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

Isn't it a crime to record someone without their knowledge?  Would Chuck even have a leg to stand on if he tried to use it?

It varies from state to state, but generally you can record a conversation surreptitiously if you're a part of said conversation. It would be different if Chuck had, say, taped a conversation between Jimmy and Kim somehow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...