DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Mondragon coming on for the last 10 minutes to make him the oldest player in World Cup history (officially anyway. Unofficially, Roger Milla could have been 56 in the '94 World Cup for all we know) was a tremendous moment.

Possibly eclipsed by Rodriguez dinking the keeper just now.

They'll be playing a Suarezless (something happened with him earlier, you might have heard) Uruguay in the next round. Totally backing Colombia there.

I never in my footie dreams I´d say that, but that Greece win and advancement was soooo deserved. They were down to ten men for sixty minutes against Japan and defended with all they had, they invested so much in this game. Ivory Coast, for all their talent and for all the class they had on paper, didn´t look good all tournament and especially in this game they didn´t. I ask myself, though, why can´t Greece always play like this? I don´t expect them to be all out on offense, but putting their hearts in, defending solidly and trying to hit teams on breaks.

Either Japan or Ivory Coast, quality wise, were the teams to make it through to the K.O.-stage alongside Columbia, put none of them performed in any of their games.

EDIT Also in the "who would have thought" - department ... on a day with a Uruguay vs Italy battle for a spot in the last sixteen, who would have thought Ivory Coast vs Greece would surpass it in every aspect qualitywise?

Guest The Magnificent 7

Lazaros has actually looked pretty decent for Greece today. At least he's really quick, gives them some life on the counter.

Slow clap.

Maybe this is silly, but does today's incident make it more likely that Suarez is a Liverpool player next season? Are teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid willing to make monster bids on a player that continues to do these sort of things?

Shamelessly stolen from the internets:

THE OWNERS of a 27-year-old footballer named Luis Suarez have confirmed the Uruguayan was humanely put down this evening by a local vet following a third attack on a human being earlier this evening.

• Like 4

Maybe this is silly, but does today's incident make it more likely that Suarez is a Liverpool player next season? Are teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid willing to make monster bids on a player that continues to do these sort of things?

I highly doubt Barca or Real care what he does. If Liverpool offer them him for £60-70m they'll bite their hands off. The only way they'll be put off is if he gets a long worldwide ban. Football clubs don't have morals.

Fuck off Greece. Colombia are beautiful.

I highly doubt Barca or Real care what he does. If Liverpool offer them him for £60-70m they'll bite their hands off. The only way they'll be put off is if he gets a long worldwide ban. Football clubs don't have morals.

It's not about morals, it's about profit and loss, and bidding £70M for a striker with a propensity for getting himself long vacations for the most mental of reasons is a huge downside risk.