DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Agree with what Mag 7 said. I've got my head busted open more than once playing soccer by some dumbass trying to outduel me in a header battle and failing, but that's part of the game. Somone biting you? Fuck that. If someone bit me during a soccer game, this might happen:

http://youtu.be/uFTLMbmts5Q

I am terrible at inserting the youtube videos on this board. That's a video of one soccer player kicking another soccer player squar in the nuts.

• Like 1

One thing about this World Cup is that you don't know who's going to win it, its so open & Spain and Italy are out already, as well as England. I really don't know what England need to do to be one of the great international teams again. They had the opportunity in 2002 & 2006 when they had mixtures of younger & more established names but there's just something lacking, I think its a passion to play for the country & the desire to really go out there and win. The 1990 team had it, so did the Euro 96 team. Even if they brought in Jose Mourinho or Pep Guardiola I don't see England winning the Euro's or next World Cup. Personally I think the best chance they had was in 1990 and who knows what would have happened if the FA threw caution to the wind and hired Clough after Don Revie. If he brought in Peter Taylor with him I would think they'd have had a great chance to have won the World Cup. Look what Brian Clough & Peter Taylor did with Derby & Nottingham Forest. Another thing, Harry Redknapp said at Spurs that some of his players wanted out of playing for England so it shows there's not the same pride there was in playing for the national team. If thats the general attitude, then they have no chance of winning anything. I did think that England wouldn't get out the group because they don't seem to have any 'fighting spirit' in them, they also didn't even seem passionate singing the national anthem just lip synching the words. Maybe if they worked on improving their technique, developing a stronger more positive attitude & having the UK media actually get behind the team instead of building them up to knock them down.

Perhaps if the teams in England had more homegrown players and had a cap on the number of overseas players they bring in would give more of a chance for younger players who are out of squads because of in-expensive imports. I think most of the Premiership teams have a small to medium percentage of English players, apparently its just 1/3 so thats also holding the England team back. Back in 1966 the nucleus of the team was playing together at West Ham, so the FA needs to limit the influx of international players, maybe just have them sign top tier names as some signings are just to fill out squad numbers and I'm sure if the scouts had a closer look, there's players in their academies/youth teams & reserves who if given a chance would be an improvement over an overseas signing. Some players like Suarez, Van Persie et al make the league better for spectators, but its detrimental to the future development of football when only a few major names in the league are english.   

The Uruguayan FA have said that they will be fighting any suspension of Suarez, as "the evidence is a fake photoshop"

Suarez's lawyer:

“We don’t have any doubts that this has happened because it’s Suárez involved and secondly because Italy have been eliminated,” ... “There’s a lot of pressure from England and Italy. There is a possibility that they ban him, because there are precedents, but we’re convinced that it was an absolutely casual play, because if Chiellini can show a scratch on one shoulder, Suárez can show a bruised and an almost closed eye.”

The rumored six-game FIFA Suspension would keep Suarez out of the rest of the World Cup, and depending on how far Uruguay go, keep Suarez out of Copa America 2015 (since there is no qualifying for the Copa America, the next competitive matches are in the Copa).

And Uruguay press? Yup, still idiots.

“‘Monster’: The British press’s new manhunt against Suárez,” said El Observador. “English newspapers return to attacking the Uruguayan after the alleged biting of Chiellini,” the article said.

I agree with you Dewar.  If I heard the story correctly the guy who did the kicking was standing up for a team mate because the guy who got kicked made a racist remark.  I also love that it only earned him a yellow.

I've seen the last two Suarez bites and my reaction both times was I'm popping this fool straight in the jaw.  I know that is absolutely the wrong thing to do but seriously fuck Suarez.

I guess the video of him going over biting Chiellini is a fake aswell...is that REALLY their defense?! Seriously? I mean, Suarez´ lawyer isn´t named "Miguel Sanchez", is he?

6Sng6.png

EDIT Shaqiri scores three, finally having his breakthrough performance. Ecuador, one man down, needs a win by two goals to take a Round of the Last 16 spot. France dictating the pace, but not as inspiring as in their first two matches. They don´t need to be, though.

Pogba is such a beast. France is now my team after the imminent Portugal demise tomorrow.

I'll trade Pogba for Raul Meireles., Hélder Postiga, Nani and an Happy Meal.

Pogba rules.

France in general have a stupid number of good prospects. I don't think they can win this tournament. But four years from now? I could buy that.

Six games is the rumor? Grow a sack, FIFA.

Six COMPETITIVE games, which would stretch through Copa America (he gets kinda screwed because there's no qualifying for it)

Third time biter deserves a fuckton more than six games.

I have the fucking coolest boss ever.

I just got a text from him that simply says "Don't bother coming in until noon tomorrow.  Enjoy the game."

I guess I won't need this anymore...

BrAmejCCcAAXf4q.png

• Like 6

Does anyone else find this Ghana story mind blowing?

If there is truth to it, it is incredible how self destructive African teams seem to be at World Cups. The squads from the contintent have such great talent, but there is a severe lack of discipline, often caused by horrible treatment of the FAs. People keep saying it´s a matter of time until an African wins the cup. It will take up until they stop screwing over players or firing coaches just because.

Today is a big game for this board, USA vs GER. I really wish the US make it to the Round of the Last 16, but neither as Group winners nor wholy at our expense. While I think us getting eliminated through a loss to Klinsmann´s boys and Ghana spanking Portugal is unlikely, the mere possibility makes me nervous. And to be honest, just for momentum´s sake we could definetly use a win. Apart from that, winning the Group would be essential to our campaign, since a first place finish would mean a colder climate with less humidity. Under such conditions we might even be able to start Grandpa Klose. As for opposition, whichever place we finish the group at will mean a strong, but beatable opponent for the first KO-match and then a very tough opponent in the Quarterfinal, if we made it there. Oh, well, no predictions. I have a bad gut feeling, had horrible sleep and am in a foul mood because of the "long" time up until the kickoff. This sport will drive me nuts sooner or later.

• Like 1

Okay finally

Boateng and Muntari sent home

Kevin-Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari have been suspended "indefinitely" and sent home from Ghana's World Cup camp following alleged rows with their coach and and an official.

However, they will be without Boateng and Muntari, with the Ghana Football Association (GFA) announcing on the morning of the game that Boateng has been suspended over claims he insulted Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah, while Muntari allegedly attacked a member of the organisation.