DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

For the record, some of the World Cup stadiums actually have grass grown in Canada. It's the only impact we will have on the men's world cup for the next decade or two. Or three. Or four.

Well that was therapeutic hiding every douchbag on my Facebook feed who wanted to make the "Well now I don't have to care about soccer for another 4 years.  hahahahaha"  joke.

Yeah, it's more like two or three years, depending on when CONCACAF qualifying gets interesting.

Well that was therapeutic hiding every douchbag on my Facebook feed who wanted to make the "Well now I don't have to care about soccer for another 4 years.  hahahahaha"  joke.

Yeah, it's more like two or three years, depending on when CONCACAF qualifying gets interesting.

[uS  soccer fan] Is that like decaf?  Look I don't do decaf.  I'm not provincial, you know?[uS soccer fan]

Sooo, quarter finals tomorrow. I hate the quarter finals. So far my personal Germany quarter final track record has seen a two ugly 1-0 wins which were close to being upset-losses (1990 Czechoslovakia, 2002 USA), one ugly game were we got pummeled put somehow saved our asses via penalty shootout (2006 versus Argentina), two eliminations, one being a major upset (1994 vs Bulgaria) and one being a logical consequence of our and our oppositions quality (1998 vs Croatia). And of course there was the 2010 game vs Argentina, where we converted 4 out of 5 chances and people thought we were winning the cup.

It´s kind of weird and may seem quite of stuck up to a degree, but somehow the quarter finals mean make or break for a German football fan. No matter how good a German team is, it almost always makes it to this stage of tournaments, in fact in the post WWII World Cups, they have made it to the quarters in every World Cup they participated in. To me, all the talk coming from our players and coaches has yet to be proven. Since the fairly unspectacular playing style and weird formation have both been knocked quite a lot in Germany, the general tone from Loew and company has been that we are "in it to win it" basically. While I don´t doubt we have a heavily talented and well working site, I seriously doubt our approaches - tactically and regarding our attacking style this year - will work in our favour. 

France is the first high caliber opponent we face and they seemed to be kind of on. They are not unbeatable, no team in this tournament seems to be. But they are a ridiculously tough opponent and I don´t like how they have a good shot of ruining our campaign. If I was a betting man, I would say this match is going to be vastly different from our meeting with Algeria, though. France is playing a different style, and just maybe this is our shot, for I think the way the French have played so far might suit us way better than how the Algerians did. Aw, man, losing sleep over that game already.

Anyhow, I hope it will be an enjoyable match for everyone. Excluding me. This sport is literally giving me some major stomach issue sooner or later. No doubt about it.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Sooo, quarter finals tomorrow. I hate the quarter finals. So far my personal Germany quarter final track record has seen a two ugly 1-0 wins which were close to being upset-losses (1990 Czechoslovakia, 2002 USA), one ugly game were we got pummeled put somehow saved our asses via penalty shootout (2006 versus Argentina), two eliminations, one being a major upset (1994 vs Bulgaria) and one being a logical consequence of our and our oppositions quality (1998 vs Croatia). And of course there was the 2010 game vs Argentina, where we converted 4 out of 5 chances and people thought we were winning the cup.

It´s kind of weird and may seem quite of stuck up to a degree, but somehow the quarter finals mean make or break for a German football fan. No matter how good a German team is, it almost always makes it to this stage of tournaments, in fact in the post WWII World Cups, they have made it to the quarters in every World Cup they participated in. To me, all the talk coming from our players and coaches has yet to be proven. Since the fairly unspectacular playing style and weird formation have both been knocked quite a lot in Germany, the general tone from Loew and company has been that we are "in it to win it" basically. While I don´t doubt we have a heavily talented and well working site, I seriously doubt our approaches - tactically and regarding our attacking style this year - will work in our favour. 

France is the first high caliber opponent we face and they seemed to be kind of on. They are not unbeatable, no team in this tournament seems to be. But they are a ridiculously tough opponent and I don´t like how they have a good shot of ruining our campaign. If I was a betting man, I would say this match is going to be vastly different from our meeting with Algeria, though. France is playing a different style, and just maybe this is our shot, for I think the way the French have played so far might suit us way better than how the Algerians did. Aw, man, losing sleep over that game already.

Anyhow, I hope it will be an enjoyable match for everyone. Excluding me. This sport is literally giving me some major stomach issue sooner or later. No doubt about it.

2-0, Germany.  France's manager is suing a woman for insulting him on twitter.  If it comes down to backbone Germany will coast it.

Wait I can sue over being insulted on twitter?

Fuck me I am set for ever and ever and ever.

Suing me for insulting you won't work. You can win possession of my 17 year old television, and what's left of the 60 oz bottle of Bacardi Rum in my fridge. :)

Went eight for eight in the round of 16 on my pool predictions. As soon as I could not pick ties, I kicked everybody's arse in my pool.

QF picks:

Ger

Bra

Arg

THE MIGHTY DUTCH!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys,

I used to be a member here like five years ago, nobody cares, love these World Cup threads, but the validation takes about two weeks, so I'm sorry for being late.

Anyway, my QF picks:

Brazil-Colombia, like everyone else, I really like this Colombian team, while not caring much for these Brazilians. I desperately want Colombia to win, they definitely have the team to pull it off. But this being the World Cup in Brazil, I suspect they'd need to absolutely crush them to even have a shot at victory. Could be really good, but if the Brazilian defense manage to keep James contained, it'll probably be a stinker.

I regretfully pick Brazil.

France-Germany, this could have been the final. France have looked great this year, but they haven't really been tested at this tournament. Germany have looked both stellar and lackluster this year, but they're more experienced and they're still, you know, Germans.

Even though it should be a close and exciting one, I think the Germans will take it.

Netherlands-Costa Rica, I'm not sure what to expect. Costa Rica have been impressive, but they've beaten one of the worst Italian sides in recent memory and Uruguay without Suarez.

I'm not sure if Van Gaal will finally start with a 4-3-3 formation, but if he does, it should be fun. If he'll maintain 5-3-2, it could be a stalemate.

I'd say The Netherlands should win this.

Belgium-Argentina, could be the upset of the tournament. Belgium's forwards need to be more accurate than they were against the USA, but Romero's quite useless compared to Howard, so that probably won't happen again. Messi's been deadly, there's a handful of other great players at Argentina, but as a team they haven't really been that impressive in years.

I know I'm not exactly objective, but I'm going with Belgium.

Now, about my own side, The Netherlands. Before the World Cup no one, including me, was expecting anything remarkable. Especially after we lost Strootman, public opinion said we really shouldn't even bother showing up. Even if somehow we managed to survive the group stage, Brazil would humiliate us.

Obviously, after the Spain victory all that's changed. People are actually thinking we might win the World Cup, but I don't think we will. With Nigel de Jong out for the remainder of the tourney, there's a big hole right in front of the defense. It'll be interesting to see how Louis plans to fix it, I'm not ruling out Dirk Kuijt. But without De Jong, who's clearly been our most important player after Robben, I'm not really liking our chances. With Nigel it would be hard enough to make the final, without him it'll be quite the challenge.

Müller is every bit of the diver that the press slates Robben for being, yet he seems to get a free pass because it's cool to like Germany these days or something.  Flopped in the box earlier without even the slightest contact (wasn't even acknowledged by the Argentine ref, thankfully), and the entire incident with Pepe in the first group stage match was precipitated by over-exaggerated theatrics on his part in the first place by acting like he'd taken stiff elbow when his face was ever so lightly brushed.

This is the first truly solid side that France has faced in the tournament thus far, so I'm not all that shocked that they aren't living up to the hype they received after their displays against Honduras and Switzerland.

Re:Holland, I think the lack of credit being given to the organization of their defence, in particular the strong play of Vlaar, is yet another example of the football journos being slow to adapt to a change in their pre-conceived narrative.  Before the World Cup, everyone was reporting that the Dutch weren't going to make it out of the group stage with this unproven backline, and in their collective hubris the media ignored a standout defensive performance against Chile (after having previously adopted an attitude of "see, we told you so!" following the nervy 3-2 win over Australia).