DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Hmmmm... with those UC stories isn't it more about finding out what happens after the story and seeing where they end up in the main timeline?

Like how Strdust Memory showed how Kou was sent to prison, Nina waited for him and whole bunch of characters ended up in TiTANS?

James

Probably not, the whole point was that humans were gonna keep warring no matter what.  (Fuck, that's been the overarching point of every Gundam series), so even with the end of Unicorn, F91 and Victory still happen.

My new trick is figuring out how Reconguista in G reconsiles with G-Saviour.

I tend to get annoyed with the Zeta movies mostly because of the Four controversy.  At least it's still considered a separate continuity if you go by the extras on the final Unicorn Blu Ray which show scenes from ZZ.

What Four controversy? I never watched the movies since they seemed to be hated.

You mean like how it was originally conceived?

I the crossbone manga considered canon or not? I've always been confused on that point

James

Yes. It would be nice to see how things were actually supposed to play out. Crossbone Gundam tells you so little.

Oh man I still have to watch the last episode of Unicorn!

I keep forgetting how long this damn series has taken to finish!

James

You should hurry up and finish it. I rewatched all of Unicorn beforehand and ended up loving it a good deal overall. Its up as one of my favorite Gundam series.

Other than ZZ, I'd rather watch all of the non-UC stuff than UC.  Well, except for AGE.  And I guess SEED Destiny, although Banpresto's rewriting of Shinn has made me a little more forgiving towards it.

I still prefer UC universe by a decent margin to most of AU. Every time I see AGE mentioned I get so disappointed. That had so much wasted potential. SEED Destiny is still my least favorite Gundam series.

I tend to get annoyed with the Zeta movies mostly because of the Four controversy.  At least it's still considered a separate continuity if you go by the extras on the final Unicorn Blu Ray which show scenes from ZZ.

What Four controversy? I never watched the movies since they seemed to be hated.

Ok, my memory's a little fuzzy about the exact details but it goes something like this:

1.  Movies are announced with voice cast changes, including Yukana for Four.  Generally no reaction to the changes, mostly because (I think) people thought Tomino was the one who wanted the changes.

2.  Sometime around when the first movie comes out, it's revealed that Tomino wanted Saeko Shimazu, Four's original seiyuu, to replay her in the movies but left it in the director's hands.

3.  The director first says that he thought Shimazu was retired (outright lie because she was at the time doing a lot of stuff for the Paris portion of Sakura Taisen).  Then I think he says that he somehow couldn't get in touch with her or her agency.

4.  Rumor comes out that the director might have had an affair with Yukana or at least has given her favorable roles in the past.

5.  There was also an online petition to actually replace Yukana in the DVD/BD versions of the Zeta movies with Shimazu.

See I'm just the opposite, I'll take UC (even Victory)over any non-UC save for G Gundam and Season 1 of Gundam 00

James

Even Turn A???  There's nothing UC wise that can compare to Turn A, IMO.

Interesting. Never would have guessed there was such a controversy there.

And I know this will get me hate, but I find Turn A to be overrated. I liked it, but I recall finding the space parts and general ending are pretty damn rushed.

Turn A is just... there. Its just not good but it isn't bad. I nothign the characters pretty much. No one to root for, no one love to hate really.

Give me my megalomanical villains with delusions of grandeur. I think Zeta Gundam TV is the epitome of the UC era (though both War In The Pocket and Stardust Memory come damn close).

James

• 2 weeks later...

First episode of Adnoah Zero is pretty good, its a set-up episode and the last few minutes are pretty great. This is the new Gen Urobochi project. He's been on a roll for the last few years, I mean between Puella Magic Madoka and Kamen Rider GAIM he's become the master of intense shows with downer endings (mind you GAIM isn't over yet but its building to a dramatic finish).

First episode is worth a watch, its good enough to make me see what happens in episode 2

James

Watched Sailor Moon Crystal episode 1, more because most of my friends are a few years younger and have enough nostalgia for the original that they were FREAKING OUT over it than any real affection of my own for a show that I never watched. Nothing wrong with it, 12-year-old girls will love it, my friends who were either 12-year-old girls or high school anime geeks in 1996-7 will love it, I probably won't keep up with it for six months when I have so many space opera shows I haven't watched from the last five years.

I sort of miss not having Tohru Furuya as Tuxedo Kamen, especially because of all the in-jokes Banpresto does between Amuro and Misato in SRW games.  Although it's probably because he's getting up there in years and doesn't do that much work outside of Amuro, so I can see why they replaced him.  I sort of also find it weird that they replaced him with Kenji Nojima in SM Crystal, since one of the things Nojima's known for is being the replacement voice for Hikaru from Macross.

I don't know, I haven't seen them. Though Bodacious Space Pirates was super fun.

Even though it's not that well-thought of, I'm still kind of excited to watch the Aramaki-directed Harlock movie when it hits Netflix on 8/1. Between that and Guardians of the Galaxy, I will probably be in explosions-in-space FUCK YEAH overload.

As opposed to Fowler, who tormented himself by watching Grave of The Fireflies...

I watched Aldnoah ZERO Episode 2. Gen Urobochi is not afraid to kill characters. Sweer crap this fucking brutal!

Good but brutal. I now know how an alien force would systematically invade us for quick victory. This was an episode that just showed how unprepared the Erth was. It also reveals who was behind the assassination attempt last episode. 2 episodes in and I already think this is going to be thebest show of the new season!

James