DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

I third the Valvrave. Will also throw out Majestic Prince as a pretty solid show and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet as something worth checking out. Broken Blade is another mech series/movies worth checking out.

Jormungand is not very good, but enjoyable.

There is a decent amount of mech in Gargantia, its just not quite what you expect since the mech is kind of its own character.

Wasn't big on Rinne no Lagrange, but I still enjoyed it. Slightly surprised I forgot about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Lo has it been many moons since The DVDVR Message Board gather its Anime Fans together to crown the GREATEST Anime Song Of All Time. Many months did it go on, after many starts and stumbles on JH's part. But in the end, there could be only one...

BARI BARI SAIKYOU NO.1

The Jigoku Sensei Nube Opening!

The Actual Music Video

A Pretty Awesome Cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXIg9TvL2aA

James

• 3 weeks later...

Started re-watching VALERIAN AND LAURELINE, a show that I really liked for about twelve episodes and then got distracted and never finished.  Objectively, it's not super amazing, just fun-but-simple.  But the animation is really nice, and it gives me the same warm-fuzzies that I got from French and Franco-Japanese shows on Nickelodeon in the 80s.  (Would seriously pay $30 for an English DVD of ONCE UPON A TIME: SPACE/REVENGE OF THE HUMANOIDS) so it makes for really good shut-down-my-brain cartoons.

Two newer shows I started watching and enjoy:

Samurai Flamenco - sort of a very post-modern ish show.  Basically, imagine a Japanese version of Kick-Ass if it wasn't as dark and was a little less satirical, profane, and gory.  Sort of a slow build, but I really like the animation and the characters are being developed quite well so far.

Buddy Complex - sort of like the makers of Gundam doing a Gundam-esque/mecha show that isn't Gundam.  It's quite conventional, and personally all the overtly homo-erotic humor is kinda funny because the show is so blatant about it.  Mecha designs and animation are really good.  The time travel concept makes it interesting because you know how the show is already ending in a sense so you are trying to piece how it will come together.  

I think the only thing I'm remotely interested in this Spring is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

The sad thing is I have the original OVA series still, so I'm pretty much rewatching that in one long TV series, possibly with better animation.

James

Samurai Flamenco - sort of a very post-modern ish show.  Basically, imagine a Japanese version of Kick-Ass if it wasn't as dark and was a little less satirical, profane, and gory.  Sort of a slow build, but I really like the animation and the characters are being developed quite well so far.

Heh, heh, yeah you're in for a surprise if that is your thoughts on Samurai Flamenco.

Partially, in general the show transforms going further and further away from its initial grounded Kickass feel.

The show is getting more bizarre with each passing episode.

I wonder what it is they were going for with this type of mash-up.  I mean, I admire it on some level because I don't think I've ever seen an anime show quite like this before.  On the other hand, the show is batshit insane.  And I mean, not saying I don't like it because I do.  But its still insane.  

I mean just for example, Buddy Complex, twists and all, its pretty straight forward for its genre.  Nothing really different or unique about it.  You can find a lot of shows that are exactly like buddy complex.  

With this show, it was like as I said, almost like they were trying to do their own version of Kick-Ass but using the tropes of Japanese anime and tokukatsu type shows.  Parts of it even gave me kind of like a Japanese-Watchmen type vibe.  

But now with this direction...it's almost like I don't know what they are going to do next.

I can only assume now that these aliens are like the aliens from Abyss except instead of stumbling onto CNN they stumbled onto Power Rangers and empathized with Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd.  

So, I'm putting a queue together on Crunchyroll of stuff to watch.   Should I watch Saint Seyia and in which order?

And what else on there does anyone recommend?

So, I'm putting a queue together on Crunchyroll of stuff to watch.   Should I watch Saint Seyia and in which order?

What type of shows do you generally like?

Saint Seiya is pretty much the prototype for every Shonen Jump manga/anime. Start with the Galaxian Wars Arc followed by the Sanctuary Arc. Then watch movies 1&2. Then watch Asgard and Poseidon. Then watch Movies 3&4. Then watch all 3 Hades OVA series

Take into account, you're watching some very old animation here, but the story good and has some great characters

James

So, I'm putting a queue together on Crunchyroll of stuff to watch. Should I watch Saint Seyia and in which order?

Mecha, sci-fi and Supernatural stuff.

Can't go wrong with Fist of the North Star or Space Pirate Captain Harlock for super-classic SF.

I forget, is Rose of Versailles on CR or Hulu?  I know it's on one of the two...

I think they've lost the rights to a lot of stuff I would've recommended a year or two ago (Zeta Gundam being the foremost example)

I love the shit out of Valerian and Laureline, but YMMV hardcore (it's a Japanese/French co-production in the vein of Mysterious Cities of Gold, based on a French SF comic of the 60s/70s that heavily affected the design aesthetics of Star Wars.  Dub only.)

Go Lion is worth seeing just to see how heavily neutered the Voltron version was, but it's still kind of ludicrous.

I haven't looked in a while; didn't they add Kenshin at some point?

Demonbane is objectively not very good.  But the sheer WTF value of turning the Cthulhu Mythos into a super robot show with loli dating-sim bullshit makes it worth a quick glance.  I suggest you drink heavily beforehand, though, or you'll have to drink heavily after you've seen it.

So, I'm putting a queue together on Crunchyroll of stuff to watch. Should I watch Saint Seyia and in which order?

Mecha, sci-fi and Supernatural stuff.

For supernatural: Another, Natsume Yujim-Cho

For Sci-Fi: Bodaciouis Space Pirates

For mech: Valvrave, Majestic Prince, Gargantia, Broken Blade

I forget, is Rose of Versailles on CR or Hulu?  I know it's on one of the two...

hulu

I think they've lost the rights to a lot of stuff I would've recommended a year or two ago (Zeta Gundam being the foremost example)

I hadn't realized they lost the Gundam rights. It makes sense though as there is an actual site up for Gundam now with official youtube links for all of the dubbed series and the current Build Fighters.

I haven't looked in a while; didn't they add Kenshin at some point?

They did back in November I want to say.

• 2 weeks later...