DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: RICCOHET

RIPPA

I wasn't really inspired today so I just decided to run with the "Random Page on Luchawiki"

So yeah Goldenman El Hombre De Oro got rejected.

Then I got the Tijuana version of Ricochet so I just decided to say fuck it and go with the real version of Ricochet

BTW - The Tijuana Ricochet

Ricochetj02.jpg

His match with Claudio at KOT 07 was one of my favorite matches of that year. I will admit that was mostly because Claudio was amazing in that match, but still.

Ricochet is one of those guys I liked before he got good. And, imo, he got real good the last time I watched him. Which wasn't very recently, sadly.

He's developed a serious physique and has incorporated more strength-based spots into his arsenal lately, and I really dig it. His head kick finisher is awful though. I can easily see him making it to WWE soon enough, even if they've turned him down before.

They TURNED HIM DOWN?!  Which brain trust made that call?

Ricochet is the uber-god-king of flippy cruiserweights.  While the WWE wasted our time with various Sin Caras that mostly sucked, Ricochet was bouncing his flubbery ass all over every indy show in the world.  I'm sorry, Ted Hart and Jack Evans are my friends and I love their crazy asses to death, but Ricochet is indeed the best flyer in the world.  I've got a few stories with him, but they're mostly just "and then Ricochet hit this one spot, and it was, like, amazing!" kinda deals.  He was also a featured player in an infamous underground backyard video (although when I say "backyard", it's doing Chaos Pro Wrestling a disservice; they had a real ring, real entrance setup, real chairs for the fans to sit in).  It was called The Killing of the Children, and it involved the creepiest thing you'd ever seen before the Wyatts.  A couple of big heels ran in on a match, and they were the sort of Nova-esque fellows who knew 47 different ways to piledrive you.  That's when shit got real:the heels started grabbing fans.  (It was all a work, of course, trainees and girlfriends and whatnot.)  Picture two giant Public Enemy-looking guys who actually could protect people safely.  And picture them doing completely safe but incredibly vicious-looking finishing maneuvers on FANS.  The ringers sold like champs, and by the end it felt more like something out of a horror movie than any kind of sporting event.  Where's Ricochet in this, you ask?  He was the incredibly tiny little kid whom the heels didn't even bother hitting a move on.  They just shoved him hard into the middle rope, and he went down.  That might've been his in-ring debut, for all I know.  If ANYONE has the footage, please share!

Either Ted or Jack (damn memory) did it off the top of a cage at that one infamous ROH scramble match where Ted started doing unplanned dives that got him canned from that place.  But Ricochet was the first I knew of to do the move regularly off the turnbuckle. 

He may not have been the first to do it, but he was the first I knew of to do the double-rotation moonsault.

He was on Colt's podcast recently and said he hasn't done the Double-Rotation Moonsault in over a year and he has no plans of ever doing it again. It got him noticed, and he's happy about that, but he thinks it's too dangerous of a move in retrospect.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

They TURNED HIM DOWN?!  Which brain trust made that call?

I feel like this is someone paraphrasing something said on a radio show as opposed to being in the actual WON so the truth is obviously somewhere in the middle but

According to The Wrestling Observer, top Indy star Ricochet was not offered a WWE deal following a recent tryout at the Performance Center. Despite his ring work reportedly being excellent, a source in developmental noted Richochet was a victim of timing and circumstance.

Apparently when Ricochet came in for the tryout, younger wrestlers in developmental reacted to him like he was a big deal, but to WWE, he's just a guy who they don't know. Because officials knew little of Ricochet, and he received the reaction he did, that was strike one. NXT producer/agent Jamie Noble then outright told officials Ricochet is something special, but apparently Noble's vote of confidence did little to help Ricochet.

In the end, while Ricochet received high marks from those who judge talents at the tryouts, the decision was NXT already had too many guys of Ricochet's size in developmental and they had more than their quota of high flyers, so Ricochet was not offered a deal.

His 2013 in PWG was second only to Kyle O Reilly.

His king of the super juniors finals match against Kushida was a very fun match.

Don't know if he's going to set the world on fire with his talking...but his athleticism should overcome that. the northern lights floatover into electric dreams-plex.is awesome.

Here's Meltzer's direct quote (WON 6/2/2014).

Regarding Trevor Mann’s (Ricochet) tryout several months back, apparently he was super in the ring but didn’t get signed. Exactly why he wasn’t signed is weird but one person familiar with the process said it was all psychological. Not that he didn’t have psychology, but he was a victim of timing and circumstances. Usually when guys come in, even with indie reps, it’s no big deal unless it was the KENTA deal, but WWE understood that. But with Mann, when he came in, there were a lot of younger wrestlers there who reacted to him like he was a big deal, but to the company, he’s just a guy whose never done anything who they don’t know who is getting a tryout for a developmental deal. Since management didn’t know who he was, that was already a strike until Jamie Noble outright told people that this guy was something special. In the end, that didn’t help, as even though he got high marks from the judges, the decision was that they already have too many guys of that size in developmental right now, and they’ve got more than their quota of high flyers.

Well, that's certainly encouraging.

• 3 months later...