DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 32: PUNK vs. LESNAR

PUNK vs. LESNAR  

117 members have voted

1. 1. LULZ

The match with Big Show was perfect. No fucks given straight from the start. Both took the others' best shot and only one lived to tell about it. You want to talk about impressive feats of strength...It looked like Lesnar started to lose Show off his shoulders but held on and RAN across the ring with 450+ pounds and steadied himself before delivering the F5.

Brock's matches with Triple H were mostly good. The WM match was pretty bad but the other two were fine.

• Like 1

Hard one this. Punk was shit for much of the year and the endless Punk/Heyman feud was awful and indulgent enough to put me off Heyman for life. The Taker match was good though and I agree he had the best Ambrose match so far. Lesnar is a hulking ball of glorious violence but he spent the beginning of the year sucked into the shit of HHH. He's also been dragged down by the Show and Henry mini feuds. I don't care how much you try to tell me, "These two guys are beasts! They killed three prelim guys at once! ACCEPT THEM IN THE MAIN EVENT", Henry/Show have zero credibility at this point and it's a waste of Brock.

Ehhh . . I'll give this one a miss.

The match with Big Show was perfect. No fucks given straight from the start. Both took the others' best shot and only one lived to tell about it. You want to talk about impressive feats of strength...It looked like Lesnar started to lose Show off his shoulders but held on and RAN across the ring with 450+ pounds and steadied himself before delivering the F5.

Brock's matches with Triple H were mostly good. The WM match was pretty bad but the other two were fine.

Yeah, different strokes, but I loved the Big Show match. Brock ain't got time to wrestle that dude, he's just gonna murder him with chairs for a while. I was entertained the entire time. 

The only thing that hurt that match was Show walking away from it.  

• Like 1

I thought the Show match was good. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I get what they were going for. The problem is that I just didn't buy Show as a real threat to Lesnar in the end. 

Lesnar doesn't have much work this year, but he is a far, far better wrestler than Punk in every way and would win this even if he only had the HHH match, which I'm not holding against him because it's almost impossible to have a good match with HHH at this point. 

• Like 1

The problem is that I just didn't buy Show as a real threat to Lesnar in the end. 

Neither did Brock, which is why he chaired him to death for a while until he got bored and went back to sexing Sable inside the bleached and haunting rib cage of a fallen woolly mammoth. 

I think people are underselling Punk's year a bit, to be honest. There are very few matches of Punk's where I outright thought he seemed burnt out or lazy.  I think his quality this year was pretty comparable to his quality last. I'm still sort of torn on this but I think the votes against Punk might be more against his fans than against the guy himself. 

• Like 2

I think people are underselling Punk's year a bit, to be honest. There are very few matches of Punk's where I outright thought he seemed burnt out or lazy.  I think his quality this year was pretty comparable to his quality last. I'm still sort of torn on this but I think the votes against Punk might be more against his fans than against the guy himself. 

I'm with you. If you want to purely go match for match, you have Punk vs...

- Undertaker

- Jericho

- Brock

- One of the Punk vs Shield matches, whether if that was one of the singles or handicap matches

- Any number of Punk matches after that

And then there's Brock vs...

- HHH at Wrestlemania

- HHH again

- Punk

- Big Show

Again, the Wrestlemania match was...weird and the Big Show match was nearly a throwaway match. Folks, folks, Gonzalez is gone. There is no need for the anti-Punk fan vote. 

My vote is pro-Brock, brother. Plus, I don't vote based on matches alone. I include everything from promos to backstage segments to in-ring segments...etc. Every time Lesnar has shown up it is an event and he never just goes through the motions. He's balls to the wall 24/7. The crazy fucker earns his paycheck no question about it.

• Like 2

Voted Brock. Tough choice, but I'll try and explain.

Not sure if its a valid viewpoint, but here goes, Brock looked like he was having fun (or as much fun as the Beast Incarnate could have) during each and every one of his appearances.  Whether it was bumping like a lunatic for Big Show, throwing things at the Miz, trashing Triple H's office, annihilating the Big Show, getting a pen stuck in his hand by the Undertaker he looked happy to be doing it.

Punk looked miserable at least from Summerslam onwards culminating in the Rumble.  Punk definitely had a greater volume of work in terms of matches.  Even while 'miserable' he was still having good matches but the lack of motivation was a turn off for me.

Those things are infectious and, certainly for me, it affects the performance in the ring.  Brock done the, albeit limited, things he done this year with motivation and enthusiasm, Punk didn't.

Every time Lesnar has shown up it is an event and he never just goes through the motions. He's balls to the wall 24/7. 

I don't think Brock's screen time last year adds up to 24 hrs, let alone 7 units of 24.

So does Punk have the best singles match with 2 of the 3 Shield guys?

The Ambrose match from smackdown, for sure. I'd say the time he put Reigns over was better than any of those Bryan matches. Did Reigns have anything else worth considering?

Voted for Punk on purpose. Reasons have already been stated. Sheer volume overwhelms. It doesn't help that Brocks best match was vs Punk. It's hard to blame Brock for the HHH Wrestlemania match but it was not good. Punk had so many good 6mans, the Jericho match, the Undertaker match/miracle. Seriously did anyone expect Punk vs Taker to be THAT good?