DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

Less than 20 riddler trophies left, I know where they all are.  If I can get past the (hopefully) final Cobra Drone fight, I will actually get an honest to goodness 100% on this.  I didn't think it possible when I first started this game.

• Like 1

ALL side missions DONE!  All Riddler trophies DONE.  Whipped his smarmy ass and I loved it.  Now time to finish this game.

Nicely done. I've not played much in the past couple of weeks, still got a ton of Riddler trophies to find.

I'm tempted to drop the cash on the season pass now though since there is actual content out for it.

After a little bit of frustration, I was able to beat Mr. Freeze this weekend. The first 3 takedowns are pretty easy (Silent Takedown, Grate Takedown, Explosive Wall), but those last two were pesky because it was tough to get him into position. I lucked out the last time and was able to get him close to the generator (which he hadn't for any other playthrough) and found him standing close to the ledge.

I am going to get myself sidetracked and do the Mad Hatter side-mission and find Batman's parents achievement before heading to finish this bad boy off.

Reading elsewhere suggests that the last stretch of this game with the snipers and the helicopter is going to add to my frustration.

Finally finished Arkham City (well, still have the Two-Face battle for Catwoman left). The story took some interesting twists, and I thought it was a good enough game but I am honestly in no rush to play Arkham Knight. I may snag Origins on the cheap at some point and play it first.

That was my takeaway too, but I kinda feel like it's because it doesn't have the weaponry of the main game model.  Also, it looks like the controls are different too.  As long as the 89 suit is available on the main map, I'm good.

August DLC drops today for Season Pass holders.

Some clarification: You CAN use the io Batmobile in the main game but only once you've finiahed all the drones and Cobra tanks. Because there's no combat mode.

In addition to challenge maps for Batman, Catwoman, Nightwing, and Robin the September DLC will include the Tumbler from The Dark Knight as a skin and a Nightwing story mission set after the main game.

So, it's decided: the next Batman game must be set in the Burton film universe at Christmas and feature Michael Keaton and Michelle Pahfeiffer.

Speaking of which, has Warner Bros mentioned anything about future iterations, obviously without Rocksteady? I think now that they've learned from the issues with the Batmobile, the next game could be like an all-time great and surpass City as the best of the franchise. Just don't rush it!

So, it's decided: the next Batman game must be set in the Burton film universe at Christmas and feature Michael Keaton and Michelle Pahfeiffer.

Speaking of which, has Warner Bros mentioned anything about future iterations, obviously without Rocksteady? I think now that they've learned from the issues with the Batmobile, the next game could be like an all-time great and surpass City as the best of the franchise. Just don't rush it!

No they haven't.  Probably because Rocksteady is still doing stuff with the DLC and season pass.

The 89 Batmobile actually handles pretty great.  Did a couple of the time trials in the city and the only problem is that since you can't go into battle mode, it's not as easy to maneuver around if you fuck up a turn or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read the recently released Challenge Pack is character specific unlike in Arkham City when you can play them with the character of your choosing. Why change the traditional Challenge Mode/Challenge Maps in Arkham Asylum/Arkham City? Leave what works well alone. With this change and the repeated usage of the Batmobile, I don't feel as bad missing out playing Batman: Arkham Knight as I did on release.

I haven't played Batman: Arkham Knight as I don't own a current gen console so my opinions are based on what I've watched/read online. What were Rocksteady thinking when it came to Batman: Arkham Knight? I'm referring to the character designs (that depends on your taste), Batmobile overreliance and the removal of the traditional challenge maps/mode. In Batman: Arkham City, you could play the challenge maps/mode with any character. However in Batman: Arkham Knight, its AR challenges specific to certain characters only.  All Rocksteady had to do was follow the template they'd established.

• Like 2

Well, they wanted to do Batmobile because Batmobile. The problem is, the glide system was so efficient it's typically faster than the Batmobile so they needed a way to force you to use it.

Honestly though, after time I think a lot of the problems with the game come down to singular or lazy work. No haracter choice for AR missions? Very few AR missions anyway? No character select freeroam once the main story is done? Not even at 100%? Super repetitive side missions most of which are just against militia? Unnecessary repetition of side missions to stretch length ala Firefly and Man Bat? Batmobile boss fights like the Arkham Knight x2, Firefly, and Deathstroke?

This isn't even getting to story stuff like the gross sexism all over it, weird decision to write Tim as skinhead Dick, Arkham Knight repeatedly being like "I'll kill him now. Or not.", and the fact that Scarecrow is some kind of weird preening villain who somehow knows Batman's every move...he's Joker. He's basically written like boo scary Joker.

I mean, I enjoyed it on virtue of always wanting more Batman games using this engine/system/world but uh. It's pretty clearly the least of the series. Including Origins. And that's not down to the Batmobile alone. (Which for the record is a lot of fun when not being forced on you)

• Like 1