DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: BUTCH REED

RIPPA

I have... well you can't call it joking when it is the truth... that "FEBRUARY! THE ONLY TIME OF THE YEAR THAT THE WWE ACKNOWLEDGES ERNIE LADD EXISTED!!!"

This applies to a lot more guys who I may or may not get to this week but we are going to honor Black History Month this week.

What really got me thinking about this is as opposed to some other folks who, since they are dead, the WWE can close their eyes and be all LALALALALALALALALA!!! NOT LISTENING!!!! Butch Reed is persona non grata. For some reason I really got a bee in my bonnet after the Ron Simmons Black History Month video they debuted on RAW. Not only is Reed not one of the guys at the start - there is no mention of DOOM anywhere in the video. Like not even the shot of Simmons pulling off his mask - nothing.

I mean... yeah it was probably a stretch to think you would put Reed in the Hall of Fame... ya know considering it is New Orleans and everything. And don't get me WELL HE WAS ARRESTED A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO!!!! Like that clearly matters to the WWE.

Anyway - here are Reed and Steamboat nearly killing themselves

h.gif

Butch Reed and Ernie Ladd get love.  It must be Black History Month again!  Who picked BHM to be in February: the shortest month of the year smack dab in fucking Winter?

WE ARE A TROPICAL PEOPLE~!

Anyway, Heel Butch Reed is my favorite incarnation, but Face Butch is also king-sized. 

Some awesome dude posted the Buzz Sawyer / Butch Reed dog collar match on the YouTubes!

As one of the 4 people that actually bought it, I just want to say how much I really loved Goodhelmet's Butch Reed comp. Butch was always one of my favorite guys to watch and it's too bad that he is seemingly persona non grata in WWE. One of my favorite wrestling moments of my childhood was The Tag Team of DOOM coming out in tuxedos to brawl with the Road Warriors after the Roadies beat the Skyscrapers in a Chicago Street Fight at WrestleWar 90.

Reed worked a tag match at a local indy show last year, teaming with Cowboy Bob Orton against Ron Powers and Flash Flanagan.  Still in really good shape.

The classic footage they show on the promotion's TV show always lets me know that he used to be BRUCE Reed(just like how the final E in DiBiase used to be silent).

Butch Reed and Ernie Ladd get love.  It must be Black History Month again!  Who picked BHM to be in February: the shortest month of the year smack dab in fucking Winter?

They could have made it July so that schoolchildren wouldn't be exposed to it.

How many people think of him as "Hacksaw" Butch Reed and how many people think of him as "The Natural" Butch Reed?

I think the last time we saw him on WWE TV was in 2007 at Teddy Long's bachelor party and wedding.

If it were taught alongside everyone else's history, there'd be no need to focus just one month on it,  Just sayin'.

How many people think of him as "Hacksaw" Butch Reed and how many people think of him as "The Natural" Butch Reed?

I think the last time we saw him on WWE TV was in 2007 at Teddy Long's bachelor party and wedding.

I saw him as The Natural first, so I didn't know about Hacksaw until later.  But I've always thought it was weird that he and Jim Duggan had the same nickname in the same territory at the same time.

Ric Flair lays down for Reed aka the beginning of the Dick Slater / Butch Reed feud.

Ric obviously went to the Greg Valentine School of Taunting.  Completely unafraid to toss about the unveiled racial taunt in front of a live and television crowd.

Holy crap, the crowd at Reed's rematch for Flair's title was molten!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhPvvJP6Gpg

When I was growing up, my best friend David was a black kid.  We both loved wrestling so much, and would watch both WWF and WCW and whatever else we could find on TV (usually whatever ESPN was running during the day).

Most of the kids around here growing up only watched WWF.

We fucking loved Doom so much, because they were such badasses.  David had always said he liked them because they were black dudes who would win all the time.  Think about the other wrestlers at the time; was a kid going to look up to fucking VIRGIL of all people?  Nah.

We went to a house show that had Doom vs two of the horsemen.  Either Barry and Sid or Arn and Sid.  Sid was one of them.  The show was at the LA Forum and MAN Doom got the craziest fucking babyface pop when they came out.  The forum actually had the faces and the heels come out of separate sides of the arena at the time, and Doom came out of the face side.

We got to watch the PPV where Doom broke up live.  I want to say Wrestle War 91?  What a great card.

I won't get too much into the depressing story about David frying his brain with bad X and being all fucked up now, but whenever I see either member of Doom I think of the guy and get a little sad.

Yeah, I got my Battle of the Bam Bams, but I never got my Battle of the Hacksaws.

Are none of their matches available?

Wrestlingdata.com lists Duggan losing the fall in a January 27, 1984 loser of the fall leaves town six-man with Reed, Nikolai Volkoff, and Crusher Darso vs Duggan, Tito Santana, and JYD. It's the same date as a match on the WWE Mid-South DVD, so footage exists, right? My Google-fu is having problems looking up info on this match, hampered by the fact that both Reed and Duggan have participated in more famous loser leaves town matches. Does anyone know anything about this match?

The Doom match with the rare win by ref stoppage.

Butch Reed just lands Side Backbreakers until the jobber goes limp.

I still cannot find the Skyscrapers match where Vicious and Spivey won by KO / Ref Stoppage.

The Doom match with the rare win by ref stoppage.

Butch Reed just lands Side Backbreakers until the jobber goes limp.

I still cannot find the Skyscrapers match where Vicious and Spivey won by KO / Ref Stoppage.

That is fucking awesome.  It reminds me of one of the greatest regrets of my 20s:  I didn't buy the "Heads Busted By Doom" t-shirt with the skull and their faces for eyes.