DVDVR Message Board

Worst performance by a good actor?

Niners Fan in CT

Some say De Niro has been phoning it in for years now but he can still be quite good (See: Silver Linings Playbook). However, I watched Righteous Kill and boy did I feel both he and Pacino were phoning it in but I guess that film had a lot of issues.

Nicolas Cage has been a good, sometimes very good actor but Knowing was a pretty awful performance and there's many others.

Add on.

Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face in BATMAN FOREVER.

Granted, it was a shit movie, and Two Face was probably the worst written part of the whole movie, so clearly it wasn't all his fault and I doubt he could've saved it if he had been on his A-game. But he clearly made the choice to try and go toe-to-toe with Jim Carrey in terms of over-the-top scenery chewing, and he chose...poorly. Maybe the most embarrassing role of his career. At least in the shitty MEN IN BLACK sequels he gets to act like he's over the whole thing.

When I saw this title Righteous Kill was the first movie I thought of. It was like one of those low budget action flicks that TNT used to make only it somehow managed to cast the 2 greatest living actors in it.

My absolute favourite actor by far is Bill Murray, but having just re-watched it, I have to say his performance in Ghostbusters 2 is pretty bad. It's Robin Williams-esque in the amount of over-the-top mugging he does. Especially the scenes with Dana and the baby and the one where he's taking pictures of the Vigo painting and is giving it fashion model directions.

The psychic talk show scene was brilliant. More of that and the movie would have been better off.

I just watched it too and it felt like he was being RDJ in the Avengers where every single space in the dialogue needed to be filled with hilarious improv.

Except Murray is ten times better at it. I didn't mind so much.

One of the strengths of the first Ghostbusters was that, in a movie about dudes working as Ghost Exterminators, all the characters were pretty grounded. Venkman is a guy that walks through life with a smirk, but he knows when to dial it down.

It's like in the sequel, Murray decided that the character should be Shecky Greene or something.

I hate RDJ because my mom told me when I was 8 she loved him and Nic Cage more than me. I fucking hate Nic Cage too.

Back to topic, Tom Hanks in The Ladykillers. I don't know what it was, but it just wasn't funny. Like the delivery, the script, him.. Everything was supposed to be funny, but it wasn't. :(

Pacino in Phil Spector was bordering on self-parody.

Pacino has been doing a bad Pacino impression for 20 years now. His death monologue at the end of Carlito's Way is freaking hysterical. "Dana's gunna be a GOOD mom."

FSW hate of RDJ is starting to get to me.

Wow.

You can't tell me his constant yammering through the Avengers wasn't irritating?

I'm pretty certain the massive consensus opinion is that it was highly entertaining.  I mean, clearly, audiences didn't turn on RDJ as Tony Stark after it, given that Iron Man 3 is the highest grossing movie of the year.

FSW hate of RDJ is starting to get to me.

Wow.

You can't tell me his constant yammering through the Avengers wasn't irritating?

I'm pretty certain the massive consensus opinion is that it was highly entertaining.  I mean, clearly, audiences didn't turn on RDJ as Tony Stark after it, given that Iron Man 3 is the highest grossing movie of the year.

But Man of Steel was 4th and you said it sucked.

Can I say Anthony Hopkins in Red Dragon? He was amazing in Silence of the Lambs and good in Hannibal but by the time Red Dragon rolled around he was hammying it up like a Bond villain. He was just too over-the-top with it. The character wasn't anything resembling scary.

I've wondered if Mads Mikkelson's subdued performance in Hannibal was a response to that portrayal. Definately Gideon, who pretty much acts the exact same scenery-chewing way Hopkins did in Red Dragon but is shown to be nothing more than a Lector-wannabe, has to be a dig at the later films.