DVDVR Message Board

2024 NCAAB - MADNESS

Dolfan in NYC

Christ... it's March already?   How the hell does time keep going this fast.  

It's madness, I tells ya. 

Bracket szn begins!   Duke still sucks!

watching the OVC tournament and this conference really doesn't have the fortune of a big centralized location for their tournament

right now they're in Evansville, which I guess makes more sense with Southern Indiana now in the conference. For years the tournament was in Nashville, which also led to Belmont winning several tournaments in upsets

The OVC currently has 3 Tennessee schools, Little Rock, 2 Missouri schools, 3 Illinois schools, Southern Indiana, and Morehead. They just lost Austin Peay and Belmont and Eastern Kentucky and Jacksonville State and Murray State.. so there's some membership turnover

there's also some redundancy between the Missouri Valley Conference and the Ohio Valley Conference.. Lindenwood and SIUE are close to the Missouri. Western Illinois is way north close to several MVC members. Little Rock and the Tennessee schools are closer to the Tennessee River. Meanwhile the MVC has schools closer to the Ohio River due to recent changes

and you have Evansville, which has been in the MVC since the 90s, and Southern Indiana, which just joined D1, sharing the same city.

Oh yeah, the Ohio Valley is part of a football association with the Big South using the tag line "Stronger Together" like they're a ticket running for Governor/Lt. Governor

Saw something about how some folks are thinking the NCAA tournament should go to 80 teams with the lowest 32 teams playing a first round game, and 48 teams advancing directly to the round of 64.

Mainly, this is at the behest of the big conferences, who want an ever bigger share of March Madness money to teams that are only like .500, but they do have a point in that less then a fifth of the teams qualify for the tournament. 

However. Half the fun of March Madness is the teams we know very little about (nationally speaking) pulling off the upsets and breaking everyone's brackets.. So, I've come up with a compromise that hopefully gives the majors and mid majors what they want, while making sure the smaller teams  get a fair shake (and also gives the NCAA more money to send out).

All conference champions (big or small) get put in the round of 64 automatically, along with the top at-large teams to make up the 48 teams.

That means 32 at-large teams get placed in the NCAA Tournament first round, but the losers in this round automatically get a seed in the NIT.

So, the NCAA has an additional 12 games to sell in their premier product (reminder, we're at the field of 68 now), the NIT gets a small boost because teams will want to end their season on a high after losing in the tournament, and the big and mid-major conferences will get a few more bids.

(Just to break this down:

Auto advancing to Round of 64: 32 Conference Champions (current amount), 16 At-Large Teams

Playing in NCAA Tournament First Round: 32 At-Large Teams)

No, do not expand the tournament. The only fix needed is to give autobids to regular season champions not conference tournament champions. I know that ship has sailed but it's the sole reason we get snubs and teams that don't belong. If we did 32 regular season champs plus 36 at-large, no one with even a hint of an argument would get left out. 

• Like 1

The Coach K legacy of dirty players at Duke has continued past his retirement as Kyle Filipowski - newly-recovered from the court bum rush injury - tripped Harrison Ingram as Ingram ran up-court. 

• Like 1

Drake wins the MVC tournament

Stetson wins the ASun tournament and makes the NCAA tournament for the first time ever

So, will losing the conference title game by 4 and winning a bunch of regular season games be enough for Indiana State?

Edited by Cobra Commander

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

meanwhile, looking like Drake is gonna beat Indiana State, giving us a week solid of "two-bid MVC" talk

It should be a solid week of talk no matter what. Both schools should - SHOULD be in.

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

It should be a solid week of talk no matter what. Both schools should - SHOULD be in.

it's tough out there for the non-major conferences.. have your title game a week before the selection and a runnerup might be forgotten.. have your title game closer to selection and get lost in the shuffle

I don't know if it'll matter that Indiana State made a comeback but it might help

Crunching the numbers - Stetson has been DI since 1972, making them the longest consecutively "tenured" school outside the handful of 1938 originals (Army, Citadel, William & Mary) never to go dancing until now. Of the other schools still eligible as of today, UNH and Denver have actually been playing for longer but that's with lower-tier stints breaking up the longevity.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Crunching the numbers - Stetson has been DI since 1972, making them the longest consecutively "tenured" school outside the handful of 1938 originals (Army, Citadel, William & Mary) never to go dancing until now. Of the other schools still eligible as of today, UNH and Denver have actually been playing for longer but that's with lower-tier stints breaking up the longevity.

the only teams to be D1 for 40+ years with no tournament appearances, at least on the spreadsheet I put together awhile ago:

Maine/New Hampshire (which I have back in D1 in 1961-62), William and Mary, Youngstown State, Chicago State, Maryland Eastern Shore, Army, Citadel, Western Illinois, Bethune-Cookman, Grambling, and TX-Rio Grande Valley (most of that under another name)

Grambling is the #1 seed in their tournament, so they might make it through although the SWAC tournament tends to be chaotic

11 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

the only teams to be D1 for 40+ years with no tournament appearances, at least on the spreadsheet I put together awhile ago:

Maine/New Hampshire (which I have back in D1 in 1961-62), William and Mary, Youngstown State, Chicago State, Maryland Eastern Shore, Army, Citadel, Western Illinois, Bethune-Cookman, Grambling, and TX-Rio Grande Valley (most of that under another name)

Grambling is the #1 seed in their tournament, so they might make it through although the SWAC tournament tends to be chaotic

Will also point out Army deserves an asterisk as in the late 60's when Bobby Knight was the coach they earned an NCAA Tournament bid but declined it to play in the NIT (which was equal in stature at that time) instead.

Edited by sabremike
Typo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The spreadsheet in the following tweet lays it out better than I ever could.

On the women's side, tiny Presbyterian College is dancing for the first time after winning the Big South tourney as a #5 seed, dumping top seed High Point on their home court in the process. Take off you (Blue) Hosers.

two Conference title games on Monday night

Southern Conference: Samford vs East Tennessee State (a 1 vs 7)

Sun Belt Conference: Arkansas State vs James Madison (a 4 vs 2)

Sun Belt is a conference where the 29-3 James Madison was a 2 seed as the 27-6 Appalachian State won the regular season title.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

On the women's side, tiny Presbyterian College is dancing for the first time after winning the Big South tourney as a #5 seed, dumping top seed High Point on their home court in the process. Take off you (Blue) Hosers.

I wonder if they'll feed PC to South Carolina as a 1/16 just to cut down on travel and also give them a little bit of a "Hey, we won! Aw fuck, we won..." moment.

Edited by Contentious C

22 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

cut to Kim Mulkey wearing a Double J Jeff Jarrett blinking light outfit as she talks about the fight in the LSU/South Carolina game

The brother of LSU's Flau'jae Johnson has been arrested for his role in the fight. He knocked down, then stepped on, an SEC employee before jumping the scorer's table and trying to get involved. He's facing battery charges among other things. 

I haven't had a chance to mention it but the George Mason Women's team got fucked in the A-10 tournament

So much so that the A-10 came out and said they were fucked but did the usual "oh well - nothing we can do except give the refs a talking to"

Something that should be instituted for the main tournament is that no conference champion is put in the play in games. Those teams earned their bid and should always be in the tournament proper, only at large bid teams should have to earn their way in via the play in.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Something that should be instituted for the main tournament is that no conference champion is put in the play in games. Those teams earned their bid and should always be in the tournament proper, only at large bid teams should have to earn their way in via the play in.

Only problem there is the NCAA desperately wants a jobber to the #1 seeds.  And if #1 Purdue has to go against a theoretical #16 Wake Forest...  hoo boy does that get spicy quick.