DVDVR Message Board

2024 NCAAB - MADNESS

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Only problem there is the NCAA desperately wants a jobber to the #1 seeds.  And if #1 Purdue has to go against a theoretical #16 Wake Forest...  hoo boy does that get spicy quick.  

My solution: make all 4 of them for the 12th seed.

Conference tournament title games for Tuesday:

• CAA - Charleston vs Stony Brook (1 vs 7)
  • Horizon- Oakland vs Milwaukee (1 vs 6)
  • Northeast- Wagner at Merrimack (6 vs 2)
  • Summit- South Dakota State vs Denver (1 vs 7)
  • WCC- St. Mary's vs the winner of Gonzaga/San Francisco because I didn't want to wait until the end of that game to make this post

Edit: it's St. Marys vs Gonzaga for the WCC title, as per usual

Edited by Cobra Commander

3 autobids up tonight

Patriot League: Lehigh at Colgate. Lehigh is sub-.500 and is down by double digits at the moment

Southland: McNeese beat Nicholls in the rare "Conference Tournament final on a Wednesday Afternoon"

Big Sky: Montana State plays Montana later tonight

The A10 tournament is an absolute bloodbath as all four top seeds (Richmond, Loyola-Chicago, Dayton and UMass) went down in flames yesterday after getting byes for the first two rounds. Dayton losing is particularly huge for the bubble teams because they just fucked someone over... it's gonna be a long weekend for Pitt, Colorado, Indiana State etc.

• Like 1

the Saturday schedule if anybody is interested in constantly watching Conference title games

• American East: UMass Lowell at Vermont, 11am (Eastern) on ESPN2
  • MEAC: Howard vs Delaware State, 1pm on ESPN2
  • Mountain West: San Diego State vs New Mexico, 6 on CBS 
  • Big 12: Houston vs Iowa State, 6 on ESPN
  • Big East: UConn vs Marquette, 6:30 on Fox
  • MAC: Kent State vs Akron, 7:30 on ESPN2
  • MAAC: Saint Peters vs Fairfield, 7:30 on ESPNU
  • ACC: North Carolina vs North Carolina State, 8:30 on ESPN
  • CUSA: UTEP vs Western Kentucky, 8:30 on CBS Sports Network
  • PAC 12: Oregon vs Colorado, 9 on FOX
  • Big West: Long Beach State vs UC Davis, 9:30 on ESPN2
  • SWAC: Grambling State vs Texas Southern, 9:30 on ESPNU
  • WAC: Grand Canyon vs UT Arlington, 11:30 on ESPN2

today's autobids so far

• American East: Vermont
  • MEAC: Howard
  • Mountain West: New Mexico
  • Big 12: Iowa State
  • Big East: UConn
  • MAC: Akron
  • MAAC: Saint Peters
  • ACC: NC State
  • CUSA: Western Kentucky

still got Pac-12, SWAC (Grambling State aiming for their first bid ever), Big West (Long Beach State fired their coach this week and now they're playing for an autobid), and the WAC left tonight

Tomorrow it's Brown/Yale for the Ivy League title, Florida/Auburn in SEC, Duquesne/VCU in A10, Temple/UAB in AAC, and Wisconsin/Illinois for the Big 10

So, there's a 16-19 Temple team playing for a title and Duquesne hasn't made a tournament since the 1970s and Brown hasn't made it since 1986

Oregon wins their tournament as the Pac 12 walks off into the sunset.

Long Beach State wins their tournament with their head coach that they fired before the Big West tournament started.

Also it's worth noting that the Akron/Kent State game ended in an astounding way (a Kent State player intentionally fouled with his team up 1)

Edit: and Grambling is in the tournament for the first time ever

Five nights ago, NC State was 12-14, tenth in the ACC, and at one point trailing then 8-22 Louisville by ten points.

They are going dancing and just busted somebody's bubble.

Oh, and they are the first team to pull off the five wins in five nights to capture the conference title since UConn in 2011. You remember, the year Kemba Walker turned into Superman for 11 straight conference and NCAA tourney wins.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh, and they are the first team to pull off the five wins in five nights to capture the conference title since UConn in 2011. You remember, the year Kemba Walker turned into Superman for 11 straight conference and NCAA tourney wins.

Ten games, anyway. Butler had one of the all-time worst shooting performances in a title game in the final and basically handed them the championship. Not that I'm really complaining, as a part-time UConn fan.

4 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Ten games, anyway. Butler had one of the all-time worst shooting performances in a title game in the final and basically handed them the championship. Not that I'm really complaining, as a part-time UConn fan.

Man, I forgot just how bad the shooting in that title game was. UConn only shot 34.5% from the floor and that was still 14.7% better than Butler.

Though Butler's 27.3% from three was sizzling compared to the Huskies 9.1%.

I think I had legit blocked that game from my memory in remembering Walker rampaging through the entire tournament.

and this Saturday of championship games ends with Grand Canyon winning the WAC, and one of their guys dunking at the end of the game, leading to a UT-Arlington player trying to knock him over and another player throwing the basketball at the dunker. Also Grand Canyon got to shoot like 800 free throws on the way to a victory.

Sunday: time to find out if Brown or Duquesne can end their tourney drought, or if Temple can make the tournament despite all logic to the contrary

and the Ivy League title game ends in brutal fashion for Brown as they choke away a 6 point lead with a minute left and Yale beats them with a layup at the buzzer after Brown missed 2 free throws (also Brown was playing for their first tourney bid since 1986)

Duquesne is in the tournament for the first time since 1977 after taking a big lead in the first half and having a very sloggy 2nd half

Semi-related: i'm gonna try to pick every defense-heavy team I can in the tournament because this style is clearly suffocating college basketball and winning tourney games in the process

29 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

in which Rick Pitino's son winning a conference tournament might have helped keep Rick Pitino out of the tournament

And all other tournaments as well.

Now I want to see the NIT invite them and go through the motions of setting up a game, only to dramatically announce to the crowd that they've decided not to show up and award a walkover.

Spare a thought for Indiana State and Robbie Avila (AKA Cream Abdul Jabbar/Larry Nerd). Highest NET ranking of any school ever left out of the Dance at 29.

my quick picks are trying to remember a few factors

1) teams that play scuzzy defense did well in the tournament last year and quite often in recent years

2) NCAA is randomly screwing a few teams geographically (especially in 7/10 matchups)

3) Rick Barnes always sucks in the tournament

4) Gonzaga is better in the tournament in years when they aren't great during the regular season

So my quick picks for the final four are UConn, Arizona, Houston, and Gonzaga.

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

And all other tournaments as well.

Now I want to see the NIT invite them and go through the motions of setting up a game, only to dramatically announce to the crowd that they've decided not to show up and award a walkover.

Spare a thought for Indiana State and Robbie Avila (AKA Cream Abdul Jabbar/Larry Nerd). Highest NET ranking of any school ever left out of the Dance at 29.

Pitt also declined the NIT.

wondering what's a more interesting contrast between fanbases in a 16 seed play-in game..

Howard vs Wagner: Federally chartered HBCU vs a Lutheran college on Staten Island

Grambling vs Montana State: Louisiana HBCU that used to be an Ag school vs Montana school that also used to be an Ag school