DVDVR Message Board

2024 SPRING TRAINING

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Some of the complaining online (not here) about the first games being in South Korea feels like it’s people that forget that MLB started seasons with games in Japan and once started in Australia.

It was stupid when it was in Japan and stupid when it was in Australia, too.  

I'm all for spreading the game, but I'll never understand a start time that's 3am local time for both teams.  

• Like 2

The Yoshinobu Yamamoto experience didn't start off well.

But to be fair to him - no pitcher is doing well in this game

More insight into the revolt inside MLBPA (which seems to be hinting at Tony Clark getting thrown out)

I’m sure it’s been addressed somewhere but I’m guessing the Korea games are at the Gocheok Sky Dome (16744 seats) instead of a larger stadium like Jamsil Baseball Stadium (25000 seats) due to the roof and not wanting to get rained on?

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’m sure it’s been addressed somewhere but I’m guessing the Korea games are at the Gocheok Sky Dome (16744 seats) instead of a larger stadium like Jamsil Baseball Stadium (25000 seats) due to the roof and not wanting to get rained on?

They just completely overhauled the stadium so that number might not be accurate

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/2024-03-12/national/socialAffairs/Gocheok-Sky-Dome-revamps-ahead-of-first-MLB-Seoul-Series/2000373

Over 100,000 spectators are anticipated to visit the venue, according to the metropolitan government. 

Gambling drama in the other thread, but wild that they couldn’t pack the house in Korea like that. I know that generally baseball culture in Korea is very much insular to the teams you follow and not really wide spread as much, but even then, still wild not to have a huge draw with so many international players at the forefront. 

Edited by TimLivingston

JD Martinez to the Mets for 1 year, $13 million

Because its the Mets and this is the new hotness anyway - a ton of it is deferred

New York will pay Martinez just $4.5 million this season, a source said. He then will receive $1.5 million deferred per year from 2034 through 2038. The Mets, long rumored to have interest in Martinez, were waiting for his price to drop enough to their liking to mitigate the luxury tax penalty for this season. New York is projected to have the highest payroll in the majors for the second consecutive year.

The second game only drew a 17.7, possibly because of Yamamoto's poor start and no Darvish/Ohtani parlays. It was also going up against a Japan/North Korea World Cup qualifier match which also has some drama as North Korea abruptly said they are not hosting the second leg which was to be played in Pyongyang.

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

JD Martinez to the Mets for 1 year, $13 million

Because its the Mets and this is the new hotness anyway - a ton of it is deferred

Speaking of Les Metropolitan

Tired:  Fried Oreos in zeppole dough

Wired: Fried Rainbow Cakes in Egg Rolls

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Hey don’t go anywhere resident Marlins fan

That's actually a good deal. Feed a family with a bunch of trips. 

• Like 1

Oh, and on Friday's they're doing $5 beers and allowing dancing on the field afterwards. 

I mean, hey, boosting attendance by making it Club Marlin isn't the worst of ideas.  

New York is a Union Town, so all I know is Rubble better have all his permits in order and make sure the site is safe and secure before building because otherwise...

Oh, and he'd better be ready for the code enforcement inspection of his little 7 year old life, because I'm sure code is different when a fucking stadium is built by a dog.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Mister TV said:

T-Mobile's free MLB.TV subscription is now redeemable from today until April 1, not sure what plans get it though.

I think it's pretty much all plans.  It's a nice little perk.

16 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

New York is a Union Town, so all I know is Rubble better have all his permits in order and make sure the site is safe and secure before building because otherwise...

Oh, and he'd better be ready for the code enforcement inspection of his little 7 year old life, because I'm sure code is different when a fucking stadium is built by a dog.

They need to have a duck character who Rubble gives an envelope full of cash to every week, you know so everything on the job site works smoothly. 

• Thanks 2

Jordan Montgomery to the D-backs on a one year deal with a vesting option for a second year

The option is $20 million if he makes 10 starts. $25 million if he makes 23 starts

I saw one person describe Scott Boras offseason as basically the equivalent of striking out 4 times in a game (aka the Golden Sombrero)