DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023-24 - CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Dolfan in NYC

And we have our final four...  Here's The Card!

Sunday, January 27, 2024

3:00pm ET

FOR THE AMERICAN FOOTBALL CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP - Kansas City (c) @ Baltimore (-3.5)

6:30pm ET

FOR THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP - Detroit @ San Francisco (-6.5) 

If Purdy makes the SB, the pieces on him are going to be so saccharine that you may get cancer by watching. 

• Haha 1

I guess I will put this here since divisional is now locked.  Apparently the talking heads are crapping on both the Lions and Bucs coaches for the ending of the game.  The Lions because they went 3 kneel downs even though the Bucs had a time out remaining and the Buccaneers for having that one timeout and basically ignoring it the time out and let the clock run out.   If he would have missed the FG he would have had about 30 seconds to go about 65 yards.  

37 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I guess I will put this here since divisional is now locked.  Apparently the talking heads are crapping on both the Lions and Bucs coaches for the ending of the game.  The Lions because they went 3 kneel downs even though the Bucs had a time out remaining and the Buccaneers for having that one timeout and basically ignoring it the time out and let the clock run out.   If he would have missed the FG he would have had about 30 seconds to go about 65 yards.  

If I was a Bucs fan I'd be annoyed with that, the Lions played it smart though. 

I live in the Detroit area but didn't grow up here so I never cared what the local teams did, I'm now on the fence with the Lions, while it'll be nice for some people I know there are others who will be insufferable if they win, but as a Steeler fan I don't want the 49ers to get a 6th Lombardi trophy and join the Steelers in the 6 with no asterisk club. On the AFC side I of course want Baltimore to get their doors blown off, KC in the Super Bowl with subplot of Taylor Swift getting from her Tokyo Dome concert to Las Vegas in time for the game will be hysterical and make a certain segment of the populations heads explode, so I'm all for it.

As a non practicing Lions fan, it would be nice to see them finally in the Super Bowl, having suffered through the 45-0 title game loss and Barry rushing for negative yards in a playoff game in Lambeau. 

Chiefs and Ravens is a matchup where they've both been good over this recent stretch and there's not as much heat between the Chiefs and Ravens compared to the heat between the Chiefs/Bills, Chiefs/Bengals, etc

so i'm sure something will develop

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Chiefs and Ravens is a matchup where they've both been good over this recent stretch and there's not as much heat between the Chiefs and Ravens compared to the heat between the Chiefs/Bills, Chiefs/Bengals, etc

so i'm sure something will develop

It's a conference championship game.  The loser will have heat with the winner no matter what.  Even if it's all hunky-dory, and especially if any goofy shit happens.

meanwhile, the last time the Lions actually won anything they went through the 49ers in a conference championship to get there, so there's that.

It was so long ago, conference championship games were a rare tiebreaker instead of a regular thing, of course, but the heat cupboard is pretty bare on this side of the bracket, too, so we'll work with what we got.

for the sake of comparison, there have been 4 Ravens/Chiefs games since Mahomes debuted, in 2018-2021

there have been 7 Chiefs/Bills games, with 4 of them since the last Chiefs/Ravens game, and 6 Chiefs/Bengals games with 5 since the last Chiefs/Ravens

so it's a lot fresher than the series of Bengals/Bills games vs KC?

4 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

meanwhile, the last time the Lions actually won anything they went through the 49ers in a conference championship to get there, so there's that.

It was so long ago, conference championship games were a rare tiebreaker instead of a regular thing, of course, but the heat cupboard is pretty bare on this side of the bracket, too, so we'll work with what we got.

Long-time Lions fans are still bitter at Eddie Murray for missing a game-winning 43-yard FG against San Fran in a playoff game on New Year's Eve 1983.  WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR REVENGE EVER SINCE!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tabe said:

Long-time Lions fans are still bitter at Eddie Murray for missing a game-winning 43-yard FG against San Fran in a playoff game on New Year's Eve 1983.  WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR REVENGE EVER SINCE!

I always wondered if that absolute bullshit DPI against Ronnie Lott the following week that stole the 83 NFC championship for the Washington Redacteds made Lions fans feel any better

7 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

I always wondered if that absolute bullshit DPI against Ronnie Lott the following week that stole the 83 NFC championship for the Washington Redacteds made Lions fans feel any better

No. No, it did not. 

• Thanks 1

I'm sure they're going to use every single horse tranquilizer and painkiller they can find to make sure he plays, but this bears watching...

Kadrious Toney will miss today’s game because he is hurt and the birth of his child

However - Toney posted on social media that he isn’t hurt and KC is “lying about his injuries”

Thank God he is no longer a Giant

LOL dang wow.

One more batch of thoughts before it all goes down. I can’t decide who I’m pulling for between the 49ers and Lions. They both deserve it for their recent history alone, without even getting into the Lion’s longtime history. The Lions stuck with their new coach. Many coaches doing as good of a job as he did would have been judged for underachieving in the second year, missing the playoffs, fooling around and losing to the Panthers when they still had a chance, etc. They would have been fired. The 49ers also deserve it. The guys out there in the trenches have busted their asses every year with no support from that 1 position that’s supposedly who makes all the plays on winning teams. I like Purdy but the guys are still carrying the weight. Also when I say trenches I mean everybody. Kittle blocks as good as he does everything else. Deebo is a WR but he runs like a FB, which is where he lines up at sometimes.

The Ravens also deserve it. They are The No Name Defense II. Most people don’t know any of their names but if any of them went down the team would be in trouble. Lamar Jackson also deserves it. 

I’m pulling for everybody in that order with the Chiefs dead last by a mile. I think the Ravens will win but if I smell the tiniest whiff of bullcrap at any point in that game they can forget it the way it’s been going with the refs and the Chiefs. I have no clue who will win the NFC game.

if Baltimore can't beat this Chiefs team today, then I suspect Jim Harbaugh moves ahead of John in regards to "Harbaughs ranked by the likelihood of winning a big game"  (Ravens have won 3 playoffs games in 11 seasons after their 2012 Super Bowl)

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

excited for a scenario where both teams reach 30 points and we hear that the winner won because defense wins championships

few things better illustrate how out of step I am with the NFL and it's target audience than the framing of that Ravens TD being "yay, the QB escaped and made that play" instead of "damn, the DE missed"

Remember Tecmo Bowl, when if you correctly guessed the opposing play your defense utterly swarmed and the play was fucked?  But if the other side had Bo Jackson or Barry Sanders you could escape the impossible blitz anyway?  Remember how bullshit it was to do everything right and have it still not matter?

Modern QBs leave me feeling that way a lot.