DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON 2023

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

Not too many players left who debuted during the aughts decade, either.

I feel like I posted that list last year... I wonder if I could find it again

Okay turns out the list I was talking about was last players born in each decade

So we got awhile to go for the 80s because if you were born in 1989, you are 33/34 (this is where folks like Sonny Gray and Giancarlo Stanton are)

BR's list is at just under 200 players who were born in the 80s are still active.

41 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

Not too many players left who debuted during the aughts decade, either.

The official answer to this is - 22 players left

That already takes into account Miggy and Adam Wainwright retiring

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I don't get how they can't let Angel Hernandez go after being so blatantly bad at his job for so long. It's not like he's a Supreme Court Justice.

the inference to make is that the people in MLB in charge of determining whether or not Angel Martinez is bad at his job, are themselves in fact bad at their job.

• Like 1

Pitch Clock:

Over the prior two seasons, there were more than 600 9-inning games that lasted 3:30 or longer. That's per Scott Van Pelt. 

This year? 9.

Tell me that's not an improvement. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Pitch Clock:

Over the prior two seasons, there were more than 600 9-inning games that lasted 3:30 or longer. That's per Scott Van Pelt. 

This year? 9.

Tell me that's not an improvement. 

All it cost was the soul of the sport. . . . .

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

All it cost was the soul of the sport. . . . .

If allowing dudes to endlessly play with their batting gloves is "the soul of the sport", then the soul didn't exist to begin with. 

Put another way: would you allow a player to adjust his gloves for, say, 5 minutes between every pitch? No? You've just agreed the pitch clock is a good thing. 

Edited by Tabe

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

If allowing dudes to endlessly play with their batting gloves is "the soul of the sport", then the soul didn't exist to begin with. 

Put another way: would you allow a player to adjust his gloves for, say, 5 minutes between every pitch? No? You've just agreed the pitch clock is a good thing. 

I'd honestly rather have the batting gloves and the other bullshit to a clock.

29 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

i'm currently willing a Jays/Padres trade into reality because when you have two franchises that burned a bunch of money to never win in the postseason, they need to get together and trade their pieces

They famously made a trade that improved both teams.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I'd honestly rather have the batting gloves and the other bullshit to a clock.

I believe you but also don't. You'd be checking out in the first inning of three consecutive 10-min AVs. 

Mets probably are gonna wanna rethink their "We wont trade Pete Alonso" strategy

Alonso has switched to Scott Boras as his agent so there is no way he ain't testing FA

It’s from the NY Post so take it for what it’s worth but supposedly Buck Showalter would like to manage next year and is trying to arrange an interview with the Angels

The logic is that the job is not considered “attractive” and that no one else would want it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Read a hot managerial rumor about the Rays being concerned that Kevin Cash would bolt for the Cleveland job. Well considering the Rays have a history of top guys (Friedman, Maddon) bolting town, and all the other drama around TB..

And I just read a story where Will Venable is the favorite for the Cleveland gig

The blowout of coaching staffs has begun

The Nats aren't bringing back 4 coaches (bench coach Tim Bogar, third base coach Gary DiSarcina, first base coach Eric Young Jr. and assistant hitting coach Pat Roessler)

The Red Sox fired pitching coach Dave Bush and announced that third base coach Carlos Febles won't return