DVDVR Message Board

2023 NHL OFFSEASON

Mister TV

He hit a homerun with the Ekholm trade, but he also signed Evander Kane for 20 million years at way too much money, and gave Jack Campbell a multi year deal that became a boat anchor the literal instant it was signed. He also loves Cody Ceci for... reasons? And Darnell Nurse might have the single worst contract currently in the NHL.

Skinner had a rickety playoffs in net but he's a rookie who was *supposed* to be your backup, and became the starter because Campbell came into camp looking toasted from day 1 and only rarely recovered from there. He knew this going into the trading deadline and chose to do nothing. Can't move those draft picks when you're trying to win, baby!

Don't even get me started on Kane. He scores goals but he is fucking awful off the puck, he's a shockingly poor passer for a high level scorer, and his brain is made of peanut butter based on a lot of his decisions. I know "all he does is score" seems like a silly criticism on the surface, but for the fanbase that was happy to lose Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle to replace him with this goof, who is more expensive, fuck off.

Oh also in Holland's post season press conference, he flat out said the Oilers don't have a single OHL scout. I don't even know what to say to that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Capitals have hired Leafs' assistant Spencer Carbery has head coach

Carbery had coached both of Washington's ECHL and AHL affiliates before leaving for Toronto

The Rangers have interviewed (so far):

Peter Laviolette

Mike Babcock

Spencer Carbery

Patrick Roy

(note, Roy appears to be the front runner for the CBJ job, but...)

The Nashville Predators are making an unexpected change behind the bench. Per an initial report from ESPN’s Kevin Weekes, Nashville has let go head coach John Hynes with a year left on his deal and is hiring former Florida Panthers interim head coach and current New Jersey Devils assistant Andrew Brunette.

Hynes was given a two-year extension from the Predators just over a calendar year ago. After selling at the trade deadline, Nashville went on a 12-9-2 run and nearly squeaked into the playoffs despite key injuries, finishing just three points outside and 10th in the Western Conference.

That, combined with the delayed timing into the offseason (Washington has already created and filled their head coaching vacancy after a weeks-long search), makes this a piece of news with very peculiar timing.

With Barry Trotz set to become the second general manager in franchise history this offseason, he evidently felt a change was necessary behind the bench. In doing so, he brings in a player he coached as a member of the Predators early on in the team’s lifespan – incidentally, Brunette scored the first regular-season goal in Nashville history.

Columbus is hiring Mike Babcock as HC

Babcock last coached in the NHL... let me check my notes... in Nov 2019

His contract with Toronto finally runs out the end of this month

Of course none of that touches on the fact that he is a dick who abused players

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Columbus is hiring Mike Babcock as HC

Babcock last coached in the NHL... let me check my notes... in Nov 2019

His contract with Toronto finally runs out the end of this month

Of course none of that touches on the fact that he is a dick who abused players

He basically ran Johan Franzen out of the NHL through abuse.  Henrik Zetterberg, who dislikes no one, hates the guy.  And then there's the time Babcock tried to get the entire locker room to hate Auston Matthews for no apparent reason by having him rate all his teammates "in secret" and then telling everybody what rating that Matthews gave them.  He should never be employed in a hockey capacity anywhere, let alone the NHL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 11:32 PM, cubbymark said:

Gary Bettman continues his quixotic quest to keep the Coyotes in Arizona in his State of the Union Address.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.azfamily.com/2023/06/04/bettman-nhl-still-committed-keeping-coyotes-arizona-after-arena-referendum-failed/%3foutputType=amp

That's just talk now since no one likes talking about franchise instability during the finals. Best case scenario for the Coyotes would be for the NHL to talk the new Suns owner into buying them and then leaning on the state for a new building but I don't think they can even put ice in the Suns arena anymore so that's a dead issue. Now Salt Lake City is out there and they may scoop them up since they are talking new building and the Jazz owner says he's already working on it. Most likely the Rockets owner buys them for cheap and moves them to Houston 

12 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

That's just talk now since no one likes talking about franchise instability during the finals. Best case scenario for the Coyotes would be for the NHL to talk the new Suns owner into buying them and then leaning on the state for a new building but I don't think they can even put ice in the Suns arena anymore so that's a dead issue. Now Salt Lake City is out there and they may scoop them up since they are talking new building and the Jazz owner says he's already working on it. Most likely the Rockets owner buys them for cheap and moves them to Houston 

Yeah, the Maverick Center is great, but its not a major league arena, they'll have to play with the Jazz or have their own place.

The Ottawa Senators will be sold to a group led by Michael Andlauer

Andlauer is expected to face little opposition from NHL owners as he already owns 10% of the Canadiens (which he would divest before being able to own the Senators)

The price is said to be "nearly a billion dollars"

Also as per terms of the sale - he is prohibited from moving the Senators from Ottawa

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Ottawa Senators will be sold to a group led by Michael Andlauer

Andlauer is expected to face little opposition from NHL owners as he already owns 10% of the Canadiens (which he would divest before being able to own the Senators)

The price is said to be "nearly a billion dollars"

Also as per terms of the sale - he is prohibited from moving the Senators from Ottawa

That is a ridiculous amount for the Senators. There is no way they are actually worth anywhere near that

3 hours ago, elizium said:

That is a ridiculous amount for the Senators. There is no way they are actually worth anywhere near that

They will be when he *miraculously* gets permission to move them to... oh, let's say... Austin. 

It's a number that is completely meaningless in our end stage capitalism world where money has spiralled totally out of control, but when the Sens joined the NHL the expansion fee they paid in 1990 was $50 million lol

I don't understand how the least valuable franchise in Canada is worth nearly a billion but hey it only takes one idiot with more money than sense, I suppose.

44 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

It's a number that is completely meaningless in our end stage capitalism world where money has spiralled totally out of control, but when the Sens joined the NHL the expansion fee they paid in 1990 was $50 million lol

I don't understand how the least valuable franchise in Canada is worth nearly a billion but hey it only takes one idiot with more money than sense, I suppose.

If I had to guess the primary reason is the planned downtown arena that is eventually going to be built. UBS Arena is how the Islanders went from being among the least valuable teams to one of the 10 or so most valuable.

On 6/12/2023 at 7:34 PM, Kuetsar said:

Yeah, the Maverick Center is great, but its not a major league arena, they'll have to play with the Jazz or have their own place.

They were talking a new big building if SLC gets the Winter Olympics again but then you wait a day or two and viola Stan Kronke is supposedly getting a new building put up in San Diego so who knows

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

This is what happens when you have multiple suitors for a team.  When no one wanted the Senators and it looked like they were moving Melnyk got the team and the building for 130 million CANADIAN dollars. Now these new modern billionaires want to own sports franchises and get celebrities involved so they can hang out with them. At least Andlauer seems like a hockey nut and will calm people down about the team moving.  Although I would prefer the Senators being in Quebec City

The only NHL team I would consider worth anywhere near a billion dollars is the Leafs. Maybe the Rangers just because of where they play. The NHL is so niche in the States that every other team, no matter where they play and how successful they are currently, are a few bad years away from being in dire straits. Canadian teams doubly so just because of the dollar.

• Like 1

It’s all funny money, but it’s stuff like this makes it ridiculous to think that the Senators are worth anything

Not at all surprising. Two franchises with small fanbases, bad coverage, etc. It all adds up. 

It’s all funny money, but it’s stuff like this makes it ridiculous to think that the Senators are worth anything

Funny how people will find other things to watch when the games aren't remotely competitive. Most watched game of the playoffs was Florida Boston Game 7. Very few needle moving teams out there. Typical Facebook comments are Gary loves having Las Vegas in the final when really the league would rather one of Boston Chicago or the Rangers.

But yeah the Senators are a meh franchise. Like the NJ Devils of Canada without the success. The move downtown when it happens should be a plus