DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

The next Alien movie will be on Hulu

Fede Álvarez (Don't Breathe, 2013 Evil Dead Remake) will write and direct. (Ridley Scott is producing)

Standalone film that won't be connected to any of the previous films

Apparently Alvarez pitched the idea directly to Scott years ago and Scott called Alvarez some time last year to see if he still wanted to make it.

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

From the Youtube comments: "I heard the budget for this movie was in the tens of dollars" ?

EDIT: God, was Argento's Dracula really that bad? Maybe I should have bought it at Walmart when I saw it there. 

It was absolutely bad, but you have to watch. 

If you know you know. 

My Argento/Fulci reappraisals spiderwebbed into watching a bunch of atmospheric vintage European horror thrillers, mostly because Tubi has an incredible selection. 

Death Smiles at a Murderer absolutely rules. It’s like Merchant Ivory hired David Lynch to make a slasher movie pitched to them by Edgar Allen Poe. If that seems like it would be confusing almost to the point of being inscrutable, it is, but these movies are about vibes and this one’s got it in spades. This was the first movie I’ve watched from Joe D’amato, but my impression is that this is his most reputable work, as he gradually introduced more sleazy sex into his films until he ended up doing hardcore.  The theme song Greta, by Berto Pisano, is worth seeking out. Maybe someone who knows a bit more about giallo can tell me what other movies it’s popped up in because it sounds so familiar. 

Anyway, I was impressed by D’amato’s work enough to check out Beyond the Darkness, which seemed to be one of his more celebrated later films. It’s the damnedest thing; I can’t recommend this, but it’s almost worth it for the ending. And not in a way that you could just watch a clip of it on YouTube and appreciate it without context. It’s like a tortured joke setup that goes on for an hour and a half, but it ends with a perfect punchline that almost makes me forgive the tedious sleazy nonsense that preceded it. Maybe split the difference and read the Wikipedia plot summary then watch the ending I guess. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 1

My VHS copy of Beyond the Darkness is for some reason part of a stack that never got stuck in the garage and is sitting on a shelf next to me right now. It still hasn't been watched in years but yeah, that's some quality sleaze right there. The only other D'Amato I think I've seen is The Grim Reaper/Anthropophagus, which is sloooooooow but pretty looking and has some neat gore when he gets around to it. 

• Like 1

Directed by: Spenser Cohen

Cast:

• Alicia Coppola
  • Scot Nery
  • Sophie Thatcher (YELLOWJACKETS~!)

Premiers at SXSW on 13 March and then available on YOUTUBE ON THE 14TH~!

Edited by J.T.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:26 AM, RIPPA said:

Sharkula

A Great White Shark cursed by Dracula... yup...

I wonder how they are handling the whole sleeping during the day thing when sharks have to swim constantly or sink because of the lack of gas bladders?

I assume this does not apply to undead vampire sharks.

Per Variety - an adaptation of Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches is in the works for AMC+

Alexandra Daddario has been cast in the lead role of Rowan

It will run 8 episodes. Christopher Rice (Anne's son) will be an Executive Producer (apparently Anne was supposed to be too before her passing three months ago)

Rented The Cursed fka Eight for Silver last night on Microsoft Store. 

I thought it was pretty good, but it's not the best werewolf movie I've ever watched.  I think that is still a race between Dog Soldiers and An American Werewolf in London with The Howling running slightly behind The Wolf Man and The Cursed. Wer is like sixth or maybe 7th depending on how well The Wolf Man reboot has aged. Or maybe Silver Bullet is in there somewhere near Wer?

The strength of The Cursed / 8FS is definitely how well it captures the period.  Reminded me a lot of The VVitch.

If I am not at Galaxycon with my kid, I will be at the movies watching X because my kid ditched me to hang out with her homegirls instead.  Alas, fatherhood.

Edited by J.T.

UNWELCOME

Directed by Jon Wright

Cast:

• Hannah John-Kamen
  • Douglas Booth
  • Colm Meaney

Should be getting a release date now that it has been picked up by WB for distribution.

The first werewoof movie I ever saw was I Was A Teenage Werewolf with Pa Ingalls as the titular lycanthrope. Is it the best? No, but it was the first one I ever saw. Good old channel 32 in Chicago.

Edited by driver
  • Like 2