DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

On 3/24/2022 at 5:27 PM, Curt McGirt said:

For something that was supposed to gonzo it actually was pretty restrained. Unless you consider unattractive people stripping to be gonzo

Spoiler

I could've lived without the graphic image of old people fucking, even if one of those old people was actually Mia Goth under layers and layers of prosthetics.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:
  Hide contents

I could've lived without the graphic image of old people fucking, even if one of those old people was actually Mia Goth under layers and layers of prosthetics.

Guess my mind blocked that one out ? I just had to look up Mia Goth and shit, turns out my senses were right about her playing the old woman too! Maybe then there's an intentional dichotomy of her looking both really young and really old. Also, people without (or with unnoticeable) eyebrows... that just freaks me out. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'GESONG и WILEMDEFOE WILEM DEFOE Nosferatu e Nosfe feratu'

Yep. Robert Eggers from The Witch and The Lighthouse is directing. Also featuring Anna Taylor Joy, Nicole Kidman, Alexander Skarsgard, Ethan Hawke, and Bjork. 

Nosferatu also turns 100 this year so, a nice anniversary. 

You would think if someone wanted to make a convincing fake movie poster they would spell the actors name properly.

• Haha 2

Watched Night Creatures aka Captain Clegg (1962) over the weekend to see if it still held up for me.

It had been probably 25+ years since I last watched this film and I still find it engaging.

It's not only great looking, but there are some really good performances on display.

Cushing and Ripper give it their all in their performances, but Oliver Reed seems a bit subdued.

The only thing I found lacking was the effect they used on the "phantoms", it looked great in VHS/DVD days, but in 1080p it was a quite underwhelming.

I still prefer The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh (1963) , but this one does the trick.

• Like 1

The Forever Purge is now available on HBO OnDemand / HBO Max.  I was disappointed.  It is not even bad in a good way like The First Purge, but at least it is still ultra violent.

Just finished watching The Night House on HBO Max. 

It is a fairly standard haunting joint with a couple of new twists.  There is some Hereditary-esque stuff about grief and dealing with loss and a bit of Paranormal Activity demonic weirdness thrown in for good measure.  I feel that it would all fall apart if Rebecca Hall hadn't held everything together with a kick ass performance.

Edited by J.T.

A Quiet Place Part 2 is now on Epix / Epix On Demand.  

The Blackcoat's Daughter and The Killing of a Sacred Deer are back on Showtime / Sho On Demand.

Edited by J.T.

The Innocents

The Nords reminding us that children are evil

Is a 100% on RT (for the minimal reviews it has so far)

(US release date is May 13 - had been in some film festivals and was released in Norway and Poland end of last year)

• Like 1

God, I still haven't seen Censor yet and The Wolf of Snow Hollow has been on Epix On Demand all this time and I never realized it.

I need to give Skyrim a rest one night and get all caught up.

Edited by J.T.

So, I got my mom to watch The Lodge for the first time last night.  It was pretty fucking hilarious.  Normally she has the same no-no buttons as I do (no sexual assault, no kids in peril) but at the end of the movie she was totally rooting

Spoiler

for the stepmom to shoot the kids for gaslighting her and causing her to have a nervous breakdown.

• Like 1

Yeah I cannot do horror movies that have a lot of rape in them or where children are being deliberately murdered.   I had trouble sitting through Gothika (mostly because it was bad) and Omen3:  The Final Conflict (also because it was bad and a total waste of the talents of Sam mother fucking Neill who is fucking brilliant in this dreck)

Cannibal Holocaust holds a special place on my dumpster fire list.

Edited by J.T.

The Lighthouse is the latest A24 horror juggernaut to debut on Showtime.  It is now available OnDemand and is also on heavy rotation.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1