DVDVR Message Board

MLB Expansion Era HOF ballot announced

tystates

Never got how Steroids were "dirty on another level" I also never get why people worry about inflated numbers from them instead of the actual problem: long term health issues.

Because numbers are sacred in baseball, and the only thing that bridges the gap between generations. If people want to poison their bodies, let them suffer the consequences. . .

This is the ballot they should've had last year, instead of the pre-integration ballot.  I'm sorry but if you haven't played a game in over 100 years and you're not a HOF'er yet there's a reason for that, you're not good enough.  If they keep having that election every 3 years they're going to keep on having a ballot where no one deserves to be in the HOF but you have to vote for someone so people who don't deserve HOF consideration will get int.

Never got how Steroids were "dirty on another level" I also never get why people worry about inflated numbers from them instead of the actual problem: long term health issues.

Dirty on another level cuz they're actually, you know, against the law.

I would say there is a difference between stealing signs and gooping up the ball and roids. If your caught at the in game stuff your thrown out and everyone was welcome to try if they liked(and don't think for a second that mcgraw(and duroucher) were the only ones to steal signs. Roids are just dirty on another leve. Hypocritical I know, its just my personal opinion. Put Miller, Larussa, Cox, Torre and Simmons in. George probably deserves it, but he and Martin should go in together, if at all. . .

But that difference is the really tempting question on another side: If there's a difference between stealing signs and gooping up the ball or taking steroids that says it's okay for the sign-stealing manager to be in but not the PED user, then that ties into the real question with Tommy John's case: What's the difference between an aging, soon-to-be-washed up hitter that extends their career a few more years and lets them play on a higher level by taking steroids and increasing the power of their bat, and a pitcher who's career is about to end due to injury extending THEIR career and playing at a high level, getting the speed of their pitches back by having Tommy John surgery and replacing their tendon with one from a cadaver?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So do we kick out Mantle, Mays, and Aaron for popping "greenies"? Seems to me that non-prescription use of amphetamines was against the law in the 1950s and 1960s...

So do we kick out Mantle, Mays, and Aaron for popping "greenies"? Seems to me that non-prescription use of amphetamines was against the law in the 1950s and 1960s...

Considering a vast majority of mlb used them, and it didn't seem to be performance enhancing, no. It was just their generations equivalent of drinking a TON of coffee and smoking cigs, like Dimaggios times.  Is that fair or right? Probably not, but that's how I feel.