Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread


odessasteps
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Big day for me as I finished up Jonah Hex, Sandman Mystery Theatre, and Roy Thomas' original run on Conan the Barbarian.

Jonah Hex remained a high quality book until the end, though it takes a dip toward the end when the book goes bi-monthly and Fleisher is busy at work on the Hex series. The last three issues are drawn and colored by the Gray Morrow. The artwork is gorgeous and the people are beautiful, but Morrow's style doesn't fit the gritty image of the series. The Crisis tie-in is awful, and yet it isn't the most frustrating part of the conclusion. Throughout the series, one of the most important aspects of the story was the women in Jonah's life, and yet we never find out what happens to Adrian or Emmylou, and even Mei Ling is treated shabbily. I suspect Fleisher felt that he could always return Jonah to the West and continue telling these stories, and indeed a few years later, Fleisher wrote one last Jonah story in Secret Origins which confirms that Jonah made it back to the West. It also sets up some lore about some tragedy befalling Jonah's son. I don't know if another writer followed up on that. I'm currently weighing up whether to read any of the later Jonah runs. Fleisher ended up penning over 100 Jonah stories. It was a brilliant run. Aside from the unresolved plot points, the only part I didn't like was when Jonah was abducted and taken to China, and even then I liked the story on the boat ride back. I'm gonna miss that ugly mug.

Sandman Mystery Theatre ended strongly. I was pleased that Seagle resolved the things that had been nagging at me about Wesley & Dian's relationship. The final issue is really beautiful. It's almost as perfect as the ending to Casablanca. It's amazing how Seagle was able to wrap up so many plot points within a single issue. There were more stories the creators could have told, but they were fighting an uphill battle with sales. Having Wesley pull the plug on his own comic was brilliant. Personally, I thought the middle of the series was when the book was firing on all cylinders, but the book maintained its integrity until the end, which is rare with comic book runs. 

 

Is that Morrison's Action Comics run from the New 52?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2021 at 4:28 PM, The Natural said:

I've a soft spot for The New 52 as I started reading Batman books in relatively recent time for the first time through a couple of months delay. Give me the Batman books of that period in the flagship Batman book by Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo, Grant Morrison's Batman, Incorporated and Peter J Tomasi/Patrick Gleason's Batman and Robin over Batman in the Rebirth era. Batwoman from the New 52 by JH Williams III/W Haden Blackman was also great till editorial interference fucked it up. New 52 did have its issues though losing Wally West and the shortened timeline leaving us wondering what was/wasn't canon.

 

On 10/4/2021 at 1:09 AM, paintedbynumbers said:

I picked up the Morrison Superman omnibus. I know you are a huge fan of his Batman work.  I didn't have much in the way of Superman so I picked up the Morrison, Exile and other stories, and the Tomasi omni's.   Not bad so far. 

Nice one! Indeed I love Grant Morrison's Batman especially the 2006-2013 run. That's Grant at his best. All-Star Superman's great and his Action Comics run in the New 52 is really good with an early days Supes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2021 at 4:28 PM, The Natural said:

I've a soft spot for The New 52 as I started reading Batman books in relatively recent time for the first time through a couple of months delay. Give me the Batman books of that period in the flagship Batman book by Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo, Grant Morrison's Batman, Incorporated and Peter J Tomasi/Patrick Gleason's Batman and Robin over Batman in the Rebirth era. Batwoman from the New 52 by JH Williams III/W Haden Blackman was also great till editorial interference fucked it up. New 52 did have its issues though losing Wally West and the shortened timeline leaving us wondering what was/wasn't canon.

 

On 10/4/2021 at 1:09 AM, paintedbynumbers said:

I picked up the Morrison Superman omnibus. I know you are a huge fan of his Batman work.  I didn't have much in the way of Superman so I picked up the Morrison, Exile and other stories, and the Tomasi omni's.   Not bad so far. 

Nice one! Indeed I love Grant Morrison's Batman especially the 2006-2013 run. That's Grant at his best. All-Star Superman's great and his Action Comics run in the New 52 is really good with an early days Supes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quick heads up,

 

Amazon is having a huge 3 for the price of 2 sale.  Tons of great DC and Marvel trades and omnibuses are in the sale. It seems like they add/remove some daily though. I first noticed this yesterday and some of the titles were removed today while some have been added.

The Superman by Morrison is included in this deal so if you want to get this as well as some great other books now is definitely the time!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superman and the Authority ended today, the book sets up mutiple plotlines for other published books.
 

Spoiler

The Superman in this series is just Earth 0 Superman wearing a new costume but his hair has greyed on the sides, and in the end dons his normal caped costume. The new Authority team will end up on Warworld.

Ultra Humanite(working with Brainiac) has clones of himself, and wants to battle Jon Superman, Clark Superman has forfeited Earth and the never ending battle.

Kryptonite, is the greatest lie of all.

Lightray IS!

I left bunch of stuff out.

Also any old Clark Superman book that happened before in the past (JFK, King Arthur) is just him time travelling covertly. Either via machines or other means. They haven't restored the time travel under his own powers stuff.

Edited by D.Z
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2021 at 12:59 PM, D.Z said:

The new Superman, Jon Kent is bisexual. Some people like it, some people hate it.

Everyone wants to see themselves reflected in their heroes and it's not like it's Clark Kent / Jor-El suddenly coming out as bisexual.  It's his son.   I think that some of the arguments made against queer Superman are apples to oranges.

I don't like Superman because he's got a power for every occasion, not because of his sexuality.

On 10/12/2021 at 5:28 PM, odessasteps said:

Maybe it's my memory, but I dont remember people hating Dean Cain at the time on Lois and Clark.

It feels a little revisionist since he became an outspoken right winger. 

I also don't remember Dean being all that hated while he was on Lois & Clark.  I am not a fan of his conservative ramblings, but at least he doesn't come off as bugshit insane as Kevin Sorbo does.

I also think he has a point.  DC does not seem to have the ingenuity to create a brand new LGBTQ+ character and get people invested in their story, so they make Superman queer knowing that it will get tongues to wag about it either yay or nay.

Edited by J.T.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mark Waid's next project set in the past of Earth 0.

Batman-Superman-Worlds-Finest-Character-

The latest Suicide Squad will face those Earth 8 Marvel homages Morrison made. And earth 41, the world of the Image comics homage characters will face the JLI.

Seems.. well if you you look at the cover, that JL and JLD will merge into one group.

Garth Ennis will write Peacemaker's new book.

Aquaman is going back to the blue costume. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Batman%20The%20Knight_Cv1_1in25_var_Greg

BM_The_Knight_1_promo_2_6167782c47cc04.2

Quote

BATMAN: THE KNIGHT #1
Written by Chip Zdarsky
Art and cover by Carmine Di Giandomenico
Variant cover by Greg Capullo and Jonathan Glapion
1:25 variant by Gerald Parel
1:50 foil variant by Greg Capullo and Jonathan Glapion
$4.99 US | 40 pages | Variant $5.99 US (All covers card stock)
ON SALE 1/18/22

The origin of Batman and his never-ending fight against crime in Gotham City is modern mythology, but what about the story in between? How did an angry, damaged young man grow into the most accomplished detective and crime-fighter the world has ever known? How did the Dark Knight…begin? Chip Zdarsky (DAREDEVIL) and Carmine Di Giandomenico (THE FLASH) explore Bruce Wayne’s journey to become Batman in this definitive new series.

I'll be picking Batman: The Knight for three reasons:

  • It's Batman.
  • Origin stories are a favourite of mine, the early days.
  • Chip Zdarsky is one of my favourite comic book writers.
Edited by The Natural
Link to comment
Share on other sites

nightwing-88-finger-stripe-design-2.jpg?

nightwing-88-finger-stripe-design-1.jpg?

Nightwing #88 by Tom King/Bruno Redondo is bringing back the classic Nightwing look! I really liked the Rebirth suit but the blue finger stripe suit is his defining costume. Only found out this was happening while looking at Nightwing pictures from the run as it's @twiztor's birthday today. Happy birthday. Hope it's a good un!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Nightwing #88 by Tom King/Bruno Redondo is bringing back the classic Nightwing look! I really liked the Rebirth suit but the blue finger stripe suit is his defining costume. Only found out this was happening while looking at Nightwing pictures from the run as it's @twiztor's birthday today. Happy birthday. Hope it's a good un!

this redesign is pretty minor but i do like having the fingerstripes back. the blue palms is an interesting choice, i'm not against it, but more intrigued by how much it stands out on the panel. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Brian Fowler: Batman The Long Halloween Special came out yesterday. Looking forward to getting my hands on that. I love the origin/early years of a superhero. Batman: Year One is my #1 Batman book of all time followed by Batman: The Long Halloween. Really liked Batman: Dark Victory. I need to get round to reading Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Halloween Specials which were reprinted in Batman: Haunted Knight.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

over the last few days i read Dark Nights: Metal. i really, really liked it. I was hesitant because Snyder's later Batman stuff seemed to get out of what interested me. I loved Black Mirror and Court of Owls. Death of the Family was good, but i didn't feel like the ending landed where it needed to. Wasn't really a fan of Zero Year. Batman Eternal and everything that followed seemed good, but not amazing, so i trailed off. But i feel like i'm riding that high again, so i may have to read his Justice League run to lead into Death Metal. 

thoughts? favorite/least favorite stories? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, twiztor said:

over the last few days i read Dark Nights: Metal. i really, really liked it. I was hesitant because Snyder's later Batman stuff seemed to get out of what interested me. I loved Black Mirror and Court of Owls. Death of the Family was good, but i didn't feel like the ending landed where it needed to. Wasn't really a fan of Zero Year. Batman Eternal and everything that followed seemed good, but not amazing, so i trailed off. But i feel like i'm riding that high again, so i may have to read his Justice League run to lead into Death Metal. 

thoughts? favorite/least favorite stories? 

I really liked Dark Nights: Metal as well. Batman: The Black Mirror is by far Scott Snyder's best Batman book, that's fantastic then Batman: Endgame. Did you ever read Twenty-Seven? Such an underrated story. Came out for the 75th Anniversary of Batman in Detective Comics #27 (2014). Batman: Gates of Gotham seems to be underrated also. I read the opening arc of Snyder's Justice League run, the Totality. I expected more from it.

Haven't read Batman: Last Knight on Earth or Dark Nights: Death Metal. Like to do the latter having enjoyed Dark Nights: Metal. On the subject of stories we need to read, you've reminded me of Batman: Curse of the White Knight by Sean Murphy, the follow up to Batman: White Knight. Read that if you haven't already.

Edited by The Natural
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I really liked Dark Nights: Metal as well. Batman: The Black Mirror is by far Scott Snyder's best Batman book, that's fantastic then Batman: Endgame. Did you ever read Twenty-Seven? Such an underrated story. Came out for the 75th Anniversary of Batman in Detective Comics #27 (2014). Batman: Gates of Gotham seems to be underrated also. I read the opening arc of Snyder's Justice League run, the Totality. I expected more from it.

Haven't read Batman: Last Knight on Earth or Dark Nights: Death Metal. Like to do the latter having enjoyed Dark Nights: Metal. On the subject of stories we need to read, you've reminded me of Batman: Curse of the White Knight by Sean Murphy, the follow up to Batman: White Knight. Read that if you haven't already.

forgot to mention Endgame in my post. I enjoyed that as well, but wouldn't put it at the top of the heap. i did read Twenty-Seven when it came out, although i have no recollection of it. I enjoyed Gates of Gotham but always considered it more of a Kyle Higgins story (he was writing Nightwing around this time, so it connects in my head). But if i remember correctly, Higgins was a student of Snyder's or something, so it all blends together.

i have not read Sean Murphy's White Knight books. maybe next time i need a break from my longer reads, i will check them out. cheers for the recommendations.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

over the last few days i read Dark Nights: Metal. i really, really liked it. I was hesitant because Snyder's later Batman stuff seemed to get out of what interested me. I loved Black Mirror and Court of Owls. Death of the Family was good, but i didn't feel like the ending landed where it needed to. Wasn't really a fan of Zero Year. Batman Eternal and everything that followed seemed good, but not amazing, so i trailed off. But i feel like i'm riding that high again, so i may have to read his Justice League run to lead into Death Metal. 

thoughts? favorite/least favorite stories? 

I generally like Snyder's run though I didn't think it was great. His best stories were definitely Black Mirror and Court of Owls. Everything else always felt off even if it was enjoyable or even good. I still haven't finished his Justice League/Death Metal run.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I never really warned to his Batman. Seemed like a lots of greatest hits jyst with more violence. (In other words, Like most modern DC books)

That is probably why Black Mirror is his best. Its more suspense and psychological than violent.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I burned through Y: The Last Man. It seems to be a series that a lot of people have a problem with due to politics, but I thought it was a ripping yarn. Briskly paced, easy to read, and a great cliffhanger at the end of each issue. I wound up binge reading it, by my own standards, which raises the question, did comics become like TV or did TV become like comics? When it came time for the big reveal, I was a little disappointed and thought it was gonna be another mystery that's so big it's impossible to pay off, but ultimately the story was bigger than the premise and the final run of issues was a fantastic finale. I wouldn't put it up there with the very best Vertigo stuff, but I liked it more than 100 Bullets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...