DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Forgot to mention the BC powders

Amazon.com: Customer reviews: BC Powder Original Strength Pain Reliever,  Aspirin Dissolve Packs, 50 Count

They're powdered aspirin. It's a good-old-boy cure-all; a couple Virginia guys introduced me to em when I was a kid at Classic Metal Fest 3 to help with hangovers. You just swallow 'em and they're absolutely disgusting, but work fast. 

Brutus probably had cocaine.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm watching the Brutus episode now, I'm up to the accident. Is there any mention of the Anthrax scare when Beefcake left a bag of coke in his toll booth and someone thought it was Anthrax?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
I saw the Anthrax scare. Yeah, I don't believe that wasn't coke.
  • Like 1

okay, I missed the part of this episode where Brutus' wife mentions reconnecting with Brutus after many years..

meanwhile, young blond Ed Leslie looks like a someone trying to steal Michael Hayes look without having all the other stuff

Did he decide to rip off the Fabs instead?

It would be fun to be able to corner Bischoff, get him liquored up and loose and get him to blab about all the people he really hated (like Leslie) and why. Even though you could tell he hated his guts in this, he never really let loose why, and I'm sure he plays the same bullshit on his podcast. In his dark moments I'm sure he is full of irrational levels of hostility for some of the people he's ran into and has just the worst things to say.

Edited by Curt McGirt

I am sure that it was the intention but any sympathy that you could have for him is not showing up in this one.  First of all I am not sure if there is a more undercover insult for a wrestler then being called someone "tax"  .  I mean even when he is struggling for life the doctor is thinking about Hogan.   Even when other people are trying to give him the benefit of the doubt like Missy Hyatt Brutus immediately proves that they were right.

Missy Beefcake is what Big Mama would have been if she was asked to perform more promos for Jimmy Valiant 😆

Edited by hammerva

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Even when other people are trying to give him the benefit of the doubt like Missy Hyatt Brutus immediately proves that they were right.

You're gonna have to explain this. Right about what? Brutus being useless?

Blair ("FACK THE B. BRIAN BLAIR, DAT JABRONI" - Sheiky Baby) saying Hogan didn't cotton to betrayal makes me wonder. How did Leslie betray him? Getting married? There is really some "read between the lines" shit that participants are being obtuse about or are no-commenting on going on here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

You're gonna have to explain this. Right about what? Brutus being useless?

Was thinking specifically about when Missy Hyatt said there was no way Brutus was Hulk Hogan drug mule and then Beefcake quickly saying "I was carrying his gimmicks"  I don't think he was talking about his 8x10 and T shirts 😂

• Haha 3

On 3/25/2024 at 1:05 AM, Cobra Commander said:

When did they make the move to hire Bossman?

Just curious since Bossman got to work matches vs Austin and I wonder if they were gonna have Dr. Death be in that sort of hired muscle spot until his injury.

Swat vest Dr. Death would have been a different look from his singlet

On 3/26/2024 at 6:25 AM, Mister TV said:

Doc was way to broken down for any kind of long run, everyone seems to think 1998 Doc was 1988 Doc, he wasn't. Also, there was no real opening for Doc to feud with Austin in that 1998/1999 fall/winter/spring, the Stone Cold-Undertaker-Kane feud ran to the end of the year, then the build for Austin-Rock at Wrestlemania started, the Austin-Vince matches during that timeframe were part of the build to Mania, Doc has no place expect for a random match on Raw.

According to Doc in his book and interviews he was going to be managed by JR, turn on JR and that was going to lead to the Austin program. Pretty much the HHH breaks JRs arm angle in 99.

Now looking at main even scene in 98/99 they run a lot of repeat PPV main events, so if Doc doesn't get KTFO and hurt them trying to run a one month program between him and Austin similar to what happened to when the brought in Paul Wright (mainly house show loop). Ditto for Pillman if he doesn't die.

I also think its a possibility that either of those two could have gotten a similar spot to Bossman and gotten used in the Deadly games tournement. And its possible that he never gets over with attitude era fans to young to have seen his earlier work and kinda ends up as another steve blackman

This is totally off topic but I just imagined a match between a super-swole-with-super-perm Steve Blackman (pre-yellow fever) versus super-swole-with-super-perm Wayne Shamrock in PWFG or Pancrase or whatever. Would have ruled. 

• Like 1

Just saw the latest episode. I love that Ed Leslie's gotcha moment to Bischoff was the Disciple gimmick. I don't mind people dunking on Eric but if the best you can show of that particular gimmick is him doing the worst stunner in the history of stunners, then I don't know if you can complain about Bischoff not giving a damn about Ed Leslie.

Then, the complaint about the WWF no longer doing the Barbershop segment. If Shawn Michaels didn't kick Marty, then who would have remembered any of those segments? Especially for his participation. They tossed him a bone and kept him employed. When he shows back up in 1993 on one of the very first Raws and cuts one of the most surreal and  bizarre promos in wrestling lore, it becomes obvious he did all he could do in wrestling. The era of his type of gimmick and presentation was over with.

Given his vast limitations, he had the best possible career you could have imagined. I mean it would have hit a slightly bigger peak if he had won the IC title, but the guy got to main event a goddamn Starrcade. Of that entire 1994 WCW roster, he would been have at the very bottom of the list to do that if you had to do a blind reveal. Ed Leslie is one those guys who got lucky the territory system ended cause he would have just been another guy and floating around doing absolutely nothing of note. Hell, there were much better guys in the territory system that ended up as footnotes or lost to time cause they never got to where Ed was when the Barber thing got over.

• Like 7

They dropped the ball bigtime by not mentioning the 1993 televised in-ring interview prior to his big Wrestlemania comeback match, where he poured out his heart RE head collapse, divorce and apparent end of career, before saying something like "I didn't know what to do", only for a particularly compassionate fan in the crowd to yell "Kill yourself!".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, No Point Stance said:

They dropped the ball bigtime by not mentioning the 1993 televised in-ring interview prior to his big Wrestlemania comeback match, where he poured out his heart RE head collapse, divorce and apparent end of career, before saying something like "I didn't know what to do", only for a particularly compassionate fan in the crowd to yell "Kill yourself!".

I believe someone also shouted: "Get over it, bro!" Not as bad, but when a guy mentions all of that and I believe also that his parents passed away in close proximity as mentioned in this episode, it's rough stuff.

What made it surreal is the fans didn't know how to process this cause he was again off tv for several months and always presented as a certain goofball character (and now in 1993, a character from the past). When Bryan and Vinny were doing the Raw episodes from 1993-1994, as they mentioned, he's doing this all as Brutus Beefcake. Not as Ed Leslie. The guy who has had tights with part of the ass cheeks cut out is talking about his real life issues as this character in 1993 cartoon WWF. It doesn't help that I believe Vince gave the introduction that this big time legend was coming back to the WWF and then out walks BRUTUS "THE BARBER" BEEFCAKE. Lets you know how tough the next few years would be if that's a legend. And then he's out there trying to integrate it into a storyline where he's issuing an open contract challenge and the fans couldn't care less. It's wild.

• Like 3

The John Tenta episode was pretty heartbreaking, but I enjoyed hearing about his success in sumo wrestling and Japan pre-WWE. He had such a beautiful family that it's heartbreaking to know how much he struggled toward the end, and the wrestling business offered little to him other than the comfort of the memories. 

Two big problems with the John Tenta episode. First off, the tangent with the Shockmaster stuff. This wasn't the Dark Side of the Shockmaster. It wasn't the Dark Side of Fred Ottman. It wasn't the Dark Side of the Natural Disasters. It was the Dark Side of John Tenta. I get they probably wanted Haku's reaction to Shockmaster and things like that, but it was a tangent that served little purpose and did little to add dimension to Tenta's story.

Second, they made a point to mention that no one came to Tenta's funeral. His work friends knew he was sick and dying. They knew he died. Yet no one went to his funeral? Tenta seemed well-liked and beloved by his peers, and yet no one explains why they didn't go. The documentarians either didn't ask or they didn't show it. They make it a point in Ed Leslie's episode to ask about Hogan and Leslie's current status, but no one asked any of these Hall of Famers why they didn't go to their beloved friend's funeral? What are we supposed to do with that? I think the Dark Side creators are fairly good at their work, but I didn't understand any of that. Also, Tenta's friends not sending any regards to his family seems fairly abhorrent. 

• Like 2

There's a clip from the upcoming Harley one on the Dark Side Facebook where they discuss Vince vs. Harley and there are gonna be clips of the man himself speaking. Automatically pushes this one into the stratosphere. 

• Like 3

On 3/28/2024 at 9:10 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Then, the complaint about the WWF no longer doing the Barbershop segment. If Shawn Michaels didn't kick Marty, then who would have remembered any of those segments? Especially for his participation. They tossed him a bone and kept him employed. When he shows back up in 1993 on one of the very first Raws and cuts one of the most surreal and  bizarre promos in wrestling lore, it becomes obvious he did all he could do in wrestling. The era of his type of gimmick and presentation was over with.

Barbershop still has SID spraying himself hard in his own face as a highlight. It's absolutely hilarious. 

• Like 2