DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Looking like we were going to get Jones vs. Stipe and then they just drop Santos vs. Jones on us. Not the first time fights have been hinted at and then the matchmakers flip us for real recently. Obviously McGregor/Cerrone isn't happening for reasons beyond their control.

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Looking like we were going to get Jones vs. Stipe and then they just drop Santos vs. Jones on us. Not the first time fights have been hinted at and then the matchmakers flip us for real recently. Obviously McGregor/Cerrone isn't happening for reasons beyond their control.

This is more or less Jon going into business for himself. It's nothing the UFC can do about that. 

Also, why not sow those seeds early? That's the next logical step anyway especially with Reyes not looking so great in London. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

On 3/26/2019 at 6:22 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

When someone brought it up here when it happened, I saw that another person say it would be a big story in several weeks time. I'm guessing that no one on the record would come out and say it was McGregor who was a suspect and the only sources (especially from what I saw) was just tabloids.

Y'all got to learn to trust my sources. If you can't believe a bunch of alcoholic dart players, who can you believe? Seriously, Eire is a very small place when you get right down to it, if you want to know who was sleeping with who at the upcoming World SF Convention, believe you me I could have that info (whether I wanted to know it or not) before the thing ends on Sunday. In the case of Conor and his merry band of thugs, friends of friends run in the same circles, so gossip on his antics is never in short supply. These guys just don't understand why I have no use for the fucker. "But he's one of our own!" Fuck that shit. There are assholes in all walks of life and from everywhere, just because we're from the same place (though my family has been here since before the Civil War), doesn't mean that I'm going to fall over in a swoon because Conor is Irish. I wouldn't like him if he was from Canada or Singapore and see no reason to like him because he's from Eire. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

Man, Thiago Santos does nothing for me. He has as much of a chance as Smith did, or to steal a TFW quote from YEARS ago, he has as much of a chance as Frank Mir does against another motorcycle accident.

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This is all disappointing because I feel like they should have ran back Askren vs Lawler.

Can understand why Ben Askren doesn't want it again with the power of Robbie Lawler. Crazy fight from the opening slam and punches by Ruthless, I thought Funky was out. Somehow he survived and won with the Bulldog choke and that led to the controversy.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

i still feel like that should be overturned and ruled a NC. 

I don't see it being overturned because the referee has just cause even if there were signs that Lawler wasn't all the way out. This is different from Leandro Silva vs. Drew Dober where I'm not sure what the fuck Eduardo Herdy was looking at. That particular one had to be overturned.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'm only posting this to laugh at Anthony Johnson holding him back with one hand, recording with the other, and looking like he'd have to cut 20 lbs. to make heavyweight.

I'm not sure if he looks bigger or smaller than the last time I seen him. 

Also, given that Paulie Malignaggi hasn't had a legit KO since George W. Bush's first term as president and Lobov isn't exactly a big puncher, they could have let them fight for real and no one would have got hurt.

Yoel Romero has pulled out of the UFC on ESPN 3 card in Fort Lauderdale after coming down with a case of pneumonia. Tried to train through it the last couple weeks but his manager decided to pull him after he went to his doctor. Not sure what that means for Jacare as it sounds like Paulo Costa may not be available to step in. On the same card, Invicta FC champ Virna Jandiroba is replacing an injured Livinha Souza against Carla Esparza.

TUF winner Macy Chiasson is replacing Leah Letson against Sarah Moras on the UFC card in Ottawa. 

It looks like Aljamain Sterling vs. Pedro Munhoz will be on either UFC 238 or 239. In the same division, Petr Yan is stepping up to fight Jimmie Rivera on the UFC 238 card as the two sides have come to a verbal agreement.

Lastly, Neil Magny vs. Vicente Luque will be the co-main on the ESPN+ card in Rochester.

• Like 1

I know McGregor is a huge star and all, but why is no one else in the media talking about his investigation at all? Other than the New York Times story, everyone seems to be ignoring it, especially ESPN and Ariel Helwani. I get that Helwani has a relationship with him and such, but it just seems to be everything except the assault investigation with McGregor.

Even with Dana White, they are asking him about his retirement and literally nothing about the investigation. Not saying that McGregor should be raked over the coals or have his career and reputation destroyed over an investigation, but let's be honest, such has happened to others for less. 

Edited by TheVileOne

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I know McGregor is a huge star and all, but why is no one else in the media talking about his investigation at all? Other than the New York Times story, everyone seems to be ignoring it, especially ESPN and Ariel Helwani. I get that Helwani has a relationship with Helwani and such, but it just seems to be everything except the assault investigation with McGregor.

Even with Dana White, they are asking him about his retirement and literally nothing about the investigation. Not saying that McGregor should be raked over the coals or have his career and reputation destroyed over an investigation, but let's be honest, such has happened to others for less. 

It's happening in Ireland and it appears to be extremely tough to get any details since he hasn't been convicted. Everyone who has spoke on the situation has been an anonymous source. Unless you live in Ireland, it's going to be pretty tough to break anymore news. Besides Sean Sheehan or some other Irish reporter finding something, I don't expect anything further until something more official comes out.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:55 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's happening in Ireland and it appears to be extremely tough to get any details since he hasn't been convicted. Everyone who has spoke on the situation has been an anonymous source. Unless you live in Ireland, it's going to be pretty tough to break anymore news. Besides Sean Sheehan or some other Irish reporter finding something, I don't expect anything further until something more official comes out.

Word is that he's fucked. A couple of his boys have supposedly rolled over on him. We won't see anything official until a conviction is close, but word on the street is that he's going to get nailed to the wall for this one.