DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I doubt anything major comes of this. Honestly, this does seem minor. It's not the arrest I was expecting for McGregor this year based on those other rumors.

Then again, cocaine is a hell of a drug. Wouldn't surprise that McGregor is hopped up on coke which causes this erratic behavior. 

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The Brandon Vera curse

Since you brought him up, Brandon Vera was a hell of a prospect, and as ridiculous as that statement was, it seemed fairly realistic at the time.  He was good enough at a young enough age, that we kind of believed he could do it.  He's one of the better prospects in the history of the sport.  He was young, well rounded, and destroyed his first few UFC opponents.  We all thought he had a bright future, but it just didn't pan out.  

Who are the best prospects who didn't make it in UFC history?  I'm talking about young guys who came in and started beating people who no one expected them to beat.  GSP, Conor, Jon Jones, are all great prospects, but they proved to be all-time greats.  I'm looking for the guys like Brandon Vera, who were great prospects, but never got to the championship level. 

Jason MacDonald was someone people thought was destined to bigger things, as well as Nate Quarry, but they put them in the cage with Rich Franklin and neither were ever the same.   Roger Huerta was on the cover of Sports Illustrated, but was never a real contender.  Who were guys you guys thought were destined to be champions, but just never made it.

Anthony Johnson. I thought he would be the one to dethrone GSP until he couldn't cut the weight anymore. Then later on, I thought he would have a shot at defeating Jon Jones, but that fight didn't happen and when AJ had title shots at 205 he just didn't seem like himself during them.

• Like 3

Rumble was very successful though and actually got title shots. Vera beat walkovers like Assuerio Silva and Fabiano Scherner and Frank Mir post motorcycle accident. I think a lot of Vera's luck early on was timing. In addition, there wasn't a bunch of prospects at 205 or heavyweight. Vera doesn't have a win like Ryan Bader or Gustafsson or Glover Teixeira. After the Werdum loss, he was just relegated to being a gatekeeper.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

I'd meant to pose the following question a while ago. Who came the closest to becoming a UFC Champion but never did? The two fighters that came to mind for me: Gray Maynard and Chael Sonnen. 

Maynard knocked Frankie Edgar silly in the first round of both the second and third fights, especially the second fight from UFC 125. That's the most one sided 10-8 round I've seen. The second ended in a draw and Edgar won by TKO in the fourth round of their final fight. 

Anderson Silva was dominated by Chael Sonnen at UFC 117 but pulled off the come from behind victory with the triangle armbar in the final round. Jon Jones stopped Sonnen despite his big toe getting fucked up. Would Bones be able to continue if the fight went past the first?

Cheers.

Edited by The Natural

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Maynard knocked Frankie Edgar silly in the first round of both the second and third fights, especially the second fight from UFC 125. That's the most one sided 10-8 round I've seen. The second ended in a draw and Edgar won by TKO in the fourth round of their final fight. 

If that is a 10-8 round we need to get rid of the 10 point must system.  Seriously, I'm not sure why we never go lower than 8 if there are 10 points to work with.  If the scoring system was ever used logically, which it won't be, that would be at least a 10-7 and I'm not sure it wasn't a 10-6.  He got his ass beat about as badly as I've ever seen without the ass beatee being knocked unconscious.  

I think the worst 5 round ass beating is GSP vs. Jon Fitch, but as far as a one round drubbing, Maynard vs. Edgar 2 is the worst I can think of.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If that is a 10-8 round we need to get rid of the 10 point must system.  Seriously, I'm not sure why we never go lower than 8 if there are 10 points to work with.  If the scoring system was ever used logically, which it won't be, that would be at least a 10-7 and I'm not sure it wasn't a 10-6.  He got his ass beat about as badly as I've ever seen without the ass beatee being knocked unconscious.  

I think the worst 5 round ass beating is GSP vs. Jon Fitch, but as far as a one round drubbing, Maynard vs. Edgar 2 is the worst I can think of.

I wouldn't argue a 10-7 R1 from Edgar vs. Maynard 2. If any round ever was, that was it. Amazing how Frankie not only survived it, he made up the scorecards to win or draw on some:

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/2107/Frankie-Edgar-vs-Gray-Maynard;jsessionid=031ECB56DAC4C7A87DBA7A1E4C9C247C

I scored 48-46 to the Answer.

Edited by The Natural

Chael's fate was sealed long before as a guy who wouldn't win the big one and act like a bitch after losing in hilarious fashion. He's the epitome of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. If his loss to Paulo Filho wasn't funny enough, his loss to Silva topped it a hundred times over.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Chael's fate was sealed long before as a guy who wouldn't win the big one and act like a bitch after losing in hilarious fashion. He's the epitome of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. If his loss to Paulo Filho wasn't funny enough, his loss to Silva topped it a hundred times over.

Chael Sonnen is the biggest fraud in the history of the sport.  He's a good, not great, wrestler, a bad striker, and one of the worst grapplers in the history of the sport.  

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Chael Sonnen is the biggest fraud in the history of the sport.  He's a good, not great, wrestler, a bad striker, and one of the worst grapplers in the history of the sport.  

He is a pretty good top position grappler when he wants to be. He made Brian Stann look awful on the ground (granted, that was never Stann's strong point). He makes rudimental mistakes on the ground and that has been the bane of his existence. I think pre-TRT, Chael was where a guy like Gian Villante is now or  much better example Corey Anderson. He will usually win a little more than he loses but he won't stand out. Now, he makes mistakes but he doesn't make as many mistakes. I couldn't imagine he would lose to a Jeremy Horn now or get washed by a Terry Martin on some XFO show. I think Chael is that tier under perennial contender. He is an ultra high level gatekeeper.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He is a pretty good top position grappler when he wants to be. He made Brian Stann look awful on the ground (granted, that was never Stann's strong point). He makes rudimental mistakes on the ground and that has been the bane of his existence. I think pre-TRT, Chael was where a guy like Gian Villante is now or  much better example Corey Anderson. He will usually win a little more than he loses but he won't stand out. Now, he makes mistakes but he doesn't make as many mistakes. I couldn't imagine he would lose to a Jeremy Horn now or get washed by a Terry Martin on some XFO show. I think Chael is that tier under perennial contender. He is an ultra high level gatekeeper.

I agree with this almost 100%, the issue is that he's a high-level gatekeeper who was in a bunch of title fights he didn't deserve to be in.  Other than the first Silva fight, he's taken an ass whooping in every high profile fight in his entire career. 

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I agree with this almost 100%, the issue is that he's a high-level gatekeeper who was in a bunch of title fights he didn't deserve to be in.  Other than the first Silva fight, he's taken an ass whooping in every high profile fight in his entire career. 

Well, to be fair, that's the case with 6 or 7 out of ten title fights in boxing and that's a conservative estimate. Even with interim titles in the UFC, you can make at least some argument. So a fighter like Chael against Jon Jones in a championship bout doesn't bother me all that much. At least it will be an entertaining ass whooping.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

A prospect we somehow forgot to mention...Sokudjou.  Is there anyone who came into the sport hotter, but then burned out faster than him?  

I would say Houston Alexander the same year, but that's mostly on Rogan doing the "Houston Alexander is for real". 

• Haha 1

Tony Ferguson seems to be having some personal issues. His wife took out a restraining order on him, amongst other things.

11 hours ago, AxB said:

Rousimar Palhares. Could have been champ, if he wasn't such a stupid sadistic psychopath.

I don't think one had to do with the other. Toquinho was one of those guys who could feast on lower mid tier middleweights, However, you can't do what Ronda did to women's bantamweight division for awhile against real, well rounded enough fighters without a semblance of striking ability. You can't bowl everyone over. You can watch the Dan Henderson fight from UFC 88 and tell there is a giant limitation to his one dimension in addition to being undersized. I think his run in WSOF was the highest he could ever hope to achieve, whether he was holding onto submissions too long or not. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 4:55 PM, supremebve said:

A prospect we somehow forgot to mention...Sokudjou.  Is there anyone who came into the sport hotter, but then burned out faster than him?  

Oh dude. When he ripped through Lil Nog I thought, holy shit, this guy is going to run MMA.

And then he went to the UFC and was poop.